Sponsored

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Are you concerned at all on the load and speed rating on the Blizzaks vs the stock Pirellis?
The OP's Blizzaks are LT275/65R20 126/123R E, so load rating is not an issue.

For 22" wheels, you can get winter tires in the 275/50R22 115H XL size like the Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV or the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 SUV.
Sponsored

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
PSA: I reached out to a Service Advisor at my local Service Center (2hrs away) last week who just sold me an extra set of AT wheels plus OE TPMS sensors. They even delivered them to my house at no charge while they were hitting some other appointments in the area. She was awesome, super responsive and helpful. She even got one of the techs on the phone to confirm that sensors will be auto-recognized by the truck after a couple minutes of driving (exactly like the installed sensors do). Get to know your local Service Advisor ;)

I'm going with the Hankook i*Pike LT winter tires matching OE size exactly at 275/65r20 (load index of 126/123). Will report back after I get them mounted up and tested

Rivian R1T R1S 20” Blizzak snow tires installed 8f1baed5-bd35-493a-9956-66c407f5289e.8d0fc7a535fd815b74b22a1fdd0e5cf5

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
That looks very similar to the excellent Michelin X-Ice tire..

Rivian R1T R1S 20” Blizzak snow tires installed 1667860098381

OP
OP
Andystroh

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

PSA: I reached out to a Service Advisor at my local Service Center (2hrs away) last week who just sold me an extra set of AT wheels plus OE TPMS sensors. They even delivered them to my house at no charge while they were hitting some other appointments in the area. She was awesome, super responsive and helpful. She even got one of the techs on the phone to confirm that sensors will be auto-recognized by the truck after a couple minutes of driving (exactly like the installed sensors do). Get to know your local Service Advisor ;)

I'm going with the Hankook i*Pike LT winter tires matching OE size exactly at 275/65r20 (load index of 126/123). Will report back after I get them mounted up and tested

8f1baed5-bd35-493a-9956-66c407f5289e.8d0fc7a535fd815b74b22a1fdd0e5cf5.jpeg
Nice, I had those on a previous vehicle and they were great also. Didn't realize they were an option in the 20" size.

Sponsored

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That looks very similar to the excellent Michelin X-Ice tire..

1667860098381.png
X-ices have been my go-to winter tire for the last 6-7 seasons / 3 sets for best all around wear and handling in snow, wet and dry conditions....however they only make them in the 22" size for the Rivian, which I just couldn't get behind on the truck plus they're completely out of stock everywhere. Even though the 275/60r20 version is only ~3.2% smaller in diameter the Rivian tech said there is no way to re-program the truck for the smaller size, and then there's always the unknown of which other systems on the truck would get confused, and potential liability fight if there was some issue. If you don't mind having 22" rims on the truck then I'm sure it would be a very good winter option...if you can find them

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Very cool. I bought a 20" set for my winters from another member but I think I wanna go 20" all year around. How much were they?

BTW. If anyone wants to save a few $$ on TPMS. Autel universal TPMS sensors close and pair right-up to the truck easily. You'll need the clone tool but most tire places can do it.
I paid $316 each from Walmart.com and wasn't smart enough to go directly to the marketplace sellers website where they are $275 each. Looks like they also have Hakka's in stock...

https://www.giga-tires.com/tires/c/truck-suv-snow-winter/275-65-20

summer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
Oh....$2494 plus tax for 4 or $624 / each
I called Rivian service center through the Rivian App today but was told only wheel+tire combo is available, so frustrating ...

Sponsored

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Got the Hankooks installed yesterday and fortunately the weather lined up so I’ve been able to spend a good amount of time on snow/ice and the performance Improvment is as expected: pretty hard to break them loose and when they do, they don’t wander much and want to hook back up quickly. I was on a particularly icy, fairly steep section (guessing ~10%) and going downhill faster than I should have been (~30mph) and could feel truck begin to drift and as soon as I backed off throttle slightly the tires hooked right back up. So far, pretty solid and I feel a significant improvement over the Pirellis on packed snow and ice

Rivian R1T R1S 20” Blizzak snow tires installed 1668382880064

Rivian R1T R1S 20” Blizzak snow tires installed 1668382924799

I’ve got nothing to add around dry pavement performance, ride quality, noise or efficiency as I’ve driven mostly on snow/ice so far, but from what I can tell so far they feel a lot like the OE Pirelli AT tires as far as ride quality.

Also, the 2nd set of OE TPMS sensors were recognized immediately by the truck with zero issues. The installers did have a hard time getting the bead to seat on the new rims. They had to lube the heck out of the bead and rim and inflate to 110-120psi 😳 to get seated. Probably due to the thickness of the tire being 10-ply / 126 load index

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone had a chance to do some basic efficiency testing on the blizzaks or similar? I'm leaning to getting then, but am really curious how big of a hit to take, particularly with how much heavier they are.

OP
OP
Andystroh

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Has anyone had a chance to do some basic efficiency testing on the blizzaks or similar? I'm leaning to getting then, but am really curious how big of a hit to take, particularly with how much heavier they are.
I’ve got about 1000 miles on them so far; on the 20” pirellis my “long term average” was 2.3, with the blizzaks I am at 2.15. Just got home from about 200 miles in the cold, also at 2.15. So far less of a hit than I expected.

OP
OP
Andystroh

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

So it was pretty snowy in Colorado today, @Andystroh , did you try out the Blizzaks today?
Yeah, they were pretty good. I pushed them a bit and they responded well. I never had any issues, and my neighborhood hasn’t been plowed. I could get them to break loose a bit with heavy acceleration but they quickly corrected. I can’t compare to the ATs but I feel confident with them.
Sponsored