Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Andrew, I'm in Denver. Which Discount Tires location did you go to? When my R1S arrives (soon, I hope!) I'd like to go to someone who has experience with Rivians. Thanks!
I used the discount tire in lakewood on west colfax. I set up the ride height and turned on tire change mode and took off the plastic panels (process is described in user guide) in an effort to give them something more familiar; then they just lift it using the frame. If you buy the pucks that are discussed on the forums they can do it without removing the panels.
Sponsored

ianp

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-7, waiting for my R1S
Occupation
Law professor
I used the discount tire in lakewood on west colfax. I set up the ride height and turned on tire change mode and took off the plastic panels (process is described in user guide) in an effort to give them something more familiar; then they just lift it using the frame. If you buy the pucks that are discussed on the forums they can do it without removing the panels.
Thanks so much, mate. That's very useful. :)

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I'm curious how they compare to the stock AT tires in snow - since the stock tires are supposed to be fine in snow.

We used Blizzaks on our BMW i3, and they were great. Made the tiny RWD city car very competent in snow and ice, including over mountain passes in blizzard conditions. First time I'd ever used studless snow tires, and was impressed.

summer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
Yes, I have them installed on my truck. They stick out a total of 1/2" more (13mm) on each side than stock.

Screenshot_20221021_121622.jpg
This looks very nice! Where did get the TPMS from? And discount tire can mount the TPMS and program it for you?

ipadl

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
R&D
Another forum user helped me through the process but ultimately the tires and wheels were sourced through Tire Rack and drop shipped to Discount Tire for installation. The TPMS sensors and programmer came from Amazon. I cloned my previous sensors, marked the boxes with the correct locations and dropped them off at Discount Tire for install when they mounted and balanced the tires. Super easy and straight forward. I have a contact for a guy at TR who is familiar with the process and help if you want to go the same route.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Andystroh

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I'm curious how they compare to the stock AT tires in snow - since the stock tires are supposed to be fine in snow.

We used Blizzaks on our BMW i3, and they were great. Made the tiny RWD city car very competent in snow and ice, including over mountain passes in blizzard conditions. First time I'd ever used studless snow tires, and was impressed.
I think that the stock tires will be fine in the snow. just like you described I have had 2WD vehicles that performed unbelievably well with snow tires. I've also had a few scary slips in some 3PMSF all terrains in a previous vehicle that almost always was fine. I see this as going from 95% confident to 99% confident - probably not a huge increase, but also not a huge cost.

Maybe another forum member and I can compare at the georgetown ice rack track this January.

summer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
Another forum user helped me through the process but ultimately the tires and wheels were sourced through Tire Rack and drop shipped to Discount Tire for installation. The TPMS sensors and programmer came from Amazon. I cloned my previous sensors, marked the boxes with the correct locations and dropped them off at Discount Tire for install when they mounted and balanced the tires. Super easy and straight forward. I have a contact for a guy at TR who is familiar with the process and help if you want to go the same route.
That's exactly what I was looking into. I would like to order the same wheel and a set of winter tires from TR and have local discount tire install it, it would be great if you could share the contact, and perhaps link for TPMS and programmer?

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
That's exactly what I was looking into. I would like to order the same wheel and a set of winter tires from TR and have local discount tire install it, it would be great if you could share the contact, and perhaps link for TPMS and programmer?

I second this.

ipadl

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
R&D
I'll send you a private message with the contract info for Taggart at TR. He's done a few Rivians now so should be familiar with exactly what we need.

You can find the sensors here:

The programmer here:

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Seth

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
I'll send you a private message with the contract info for Taggart at TR. He's done a few Rivians now so should be familiar with exactly what we need.

You can find the sensors here:

The programmer here:

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Seth

Any initial observations on range impact?

ALso, is there any use to keeping the programmer besides the initial use?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Andystroh

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I’ve done about 150 miles on the tires, pretty representative of my usual driving (and similar average speed to my long term average pre-snow tire); so far no noticable change in range impact.

We went on a drive we’ve done a few times and saw basically identical % loss to the AT tires; for Colorado folk, 28% from golden to Silverthorne via i70, 16% from Silverthorne to golden over Loveland pass.

so far the impact is looking minimal, if there’s an impact at all.

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
I’ve done about 150 miles on the tires, pretty representative of my usual driving (and similar average speed to my long term average pre-snow tire); so far no noticable change in range impact.

We went on a drive we’ve done a few times and saw basically identical % loss to the AT tires; for Colorado folk, 28% from golden to Silverthorne via i70, 16% from Silverthorne to golden over Loveland pass.

so far the impact is looking minimal, if there’s an impact at all.
For what it's worth, I bought a set of Blizzaks and rims from Tire Rack (picked them up at the Denver Tire Rack warehouse to save on shipping) back in 2016 for our Tesla Model X. Fantastic traction and handling. We even used them on a cross country to Illinois in one Jan when an enroute winter storm was in the forecast. We saw about a 8 to 10% loss in efficiency from our normal all-season 20" tires, but it's hard to isolate the parameters. I don't know how much of that was caused by exceptionally low temps, and how much by the tires.
When Tire Rack gets around to making rims for the Rivian with their very large 48 mm offset requirement, I plan on getting a dedicated set for the R1S. One advantage to being a late 2021 reservation holder-- the aftermarket accessories should be in greater supply by the time I take delivery.
One other interesting note on the TPMS. We ordered the Tire Rack wheels with their stock TPMS and the MX recognized them immediately. We've had no TPMS ID trouble over the past 6 winters swapping back and forth. Not sure why some vehicles have more trouble in this area than others.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Thanks for all the help. Is the programmer really necessary? Doesn't discount tire offer tpms programming as part of the install? I hate to buy this programmer where I'll only use once.

ipadl

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
R&D
@Aag12 You should check with Discount Tire. When I bought mine they didn't yet have a TPMS sensors for the Rivian. As a result, we are on our own. There may be other options out there now. If you find one, be sure to post back so others know!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Thanks for all the help. Is the programmer really necessary? Doesn't discount tire offer tpms programming as part of the install? I hate to buy this programmer where I'll only use once.
Rivian service told me no-one else can program the truck for new sensors. If you can get another set that use the same ID by cloning them, that should work as the truck will automatically pick those ones up. Position on the truck shouldn't matter since it learns those as it goes.
Sponsored