First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
Im getting a set of 20’s with the AT tires and will convert my 21’s to winters with a set if the Nokkians. Cant wait to try them out.
Sponsored

bjcleaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Tesla Model Y, R1T
Following this as well. Was planning to try this winter with the Pirellis. We’re supposed to get our first snow this weekend but I don’t think that will be a real test. Tire availability seems to be a little better this year compared to last so hopefully I can find something in January if I need to adjust.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
lack of availability probably.
Yes, I went to Discount Tire, to swap my Tesla’s winter tires on, and they said Nokian’s factory in Ukraine is under Russian control, so no telling if / when they’ll be available in North America again. But that may only impact sedans, vs light trucks https://www.nokiantyres.com/company/about-us/production/

Nokian Tyres manufactures passenger car tires in its factories in Nokia, Finland and in Dayton, US. All heavy tires are manufactured at the Nokia factory except for tires for trucks and buses, which are designed in Finland and produced by off-take contract manufacturers in the EU.

The Nokia factory plays an important role not only in the manufacturing of tires, but also in product development. It is a key location for our centralized product development, prototyping and test runs. In 2022, we bought three hectares of land in Nokia to secure future development opportunities at the Nokia factory.

Our Dayton factory in the US started commercial tire production in 2020, after which we have gradually increased production capacity. The Dayton factory is where we manufacture North American-specific car and light truck all-season and all-weather tires. The Dayton factory has a significant role in our North American growth plan.

Since 2005, we have also operated a passenger car tire factory in Russia. In June 2022, we announced that Nokian Tyres will initiate a controlled exit from Russia and focus on other core markets.

To secure supply of our products, we aim to further increase production capacity at both our factories in Finland and in the US. We have also decided to invest in completely new capacity in Europe to support future growth. In addition, we aim to increase the share of outsourced production.

Last edited:

Adamn

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 1991 Barefoot Sanger (boat)
Look forward to hearing about your experience. Loved the Blizzaks on my Tacoma but found the Blizzaks on my old Tesla weren't nearly as good as Nokian winter tires. The stock 20" tires have a 3PMS rating, anyone try them yet in the snow to see how they do?

ipadl

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
R&D
American Racing has a 20" x 9" wheel with +35mm offset for $250ea. Stock wheels are 20" x 8.5" with +48mm offset. Really close match. The model is AR944 I believe. I'm running them currently as mine shipped with 22s. Am very happy.

Sponsored

CO-rayman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, ...
Well with some snow in the forecast we decided to swap over to some 20” Blizzak LT snow tires. These are in the stock size, I think they are a few pounds heavier than the stock pirellis. Rivian would not install aftermarket tires so I had discount tire do it, I removed the panels to try to save the clips since I was nervous about them doing any extra work. They were excited to work on a rivian.

we average 2.1-2.2 on trips, with a 7k mile average of 2.3; I’ll update the thread once we’ve put some miles on these. First few miles home on a highway I didn’t noticed any additional noise or decrease in ride quality, but we’ll see if we notice after some more driving.

41480CC9-1577-4F55-8B33-040AD7116C38.jpeg

675D9842-C62E-4987-B032-194C7F79A88A.jpeg

Thanks for the update!

I was planning on testing the factory AT tires on snow before switching to snow tires. In my last truck (1-ton Ram 3500), AT tires did very well on snow and I saw no need for snow tires during Winter.

I too spend a lot of time in the Colorado mountains during Winter months, so looking forward to your extended experience.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
American Racing has a 20" x 9" wheel with +35mm offset for $250ea. Stock wheels are 20" x 8.5" with +48mm offset. Really close match. The model is AR944 I believe. I'm running them currently as mine shipped with 22s. Am very happy.
Could you post pics mounted up on the Rivian, please and thanks.

Rivian R1T R1S 20” Blizzak snow tires installed C4E139FE-91A5-42C5-9572-7380F46925E2

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250

I have looked at those rims a couple times. To clarify your statement do you currently have them on your truck and they work?

I haven't invested a lot of time in the offset math but do they stick out more?

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
Nice work, way to guinea pig it for the group. Next I want to see someone mount the Michelin X-ice's...

OP
OP
Andystroh

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Thanks for the update!

I was planning on testing the factory AT tires on snow before switching to snow tires. In my last truck (1-ton Ram 3500), AT tires did very well on snow and I saw no need for snow tires during Winter.

I too spend a lot of time in the Colorado mountains during Winter months, so looking forward to your extended experience.
I'm sure they'll do well, I am on the conservative side when it comes to winter driving (hailing from the great snowy region of southern Florida), and when I saw they were much cheaper than the AT tires I figured it wouldn't hurt to spread the wear onto a cheaper set of rubber during the winter season.

Sponsored

ipadl

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
R&D
I have looked at those rims a couple times. To clarify your statement do you currently have them on your truck and they work?

I haven't invested a lot of time in the offset math but do they stick out more?
Yes, I have them installed on my truck. They stick out a total of 1/2" more (13mm) on each side than stock.

Rivian R1T R1S 20” Blizzak snow tires installed Screenshot_20221021_121622

spacefunkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (Red Canyon), Tesla Model Y Perf (MSM)
Im getting a set of 20’s with the AT tires and will convert my 21’s to winters with a set if the Nokkians. Cant wait to try them out.
What size Nokian winters are compatible with the 21s ?

Gabe1aron

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
What size Nokian winters are compatible with the 21s ?
I believe they are the same size as the OEM tires. But, they are really hard to find and my local Nokkian dealer says that he can’t get them just yet

ianp

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-7, waiting for my R1S
Occupation
Law professor
Well with some snow in the forecast we decided to swap over to some 20” Blizzak LT snow tires. These are in the stock size, I think they are a few pounds heavier than the stock pirellis. Rivian would not install aftermarket tires so I had discount tire do it, I removed the panels to try to save the clips since I was nervous about them doing any extra work. They were excited to work on a rivian.

we average 2.1-2.2 on trips, with a 7k mile average of 2.3; I’ll update the thread once we’ve put some miles on these. First few miles home on a highway I didn’t noticed any additional noise or decrease in ride quality, but we’ll see if we notice after some more driving.

41480CC9-1577-4F55-8B33-040AD7116C38.jpeg

675D9842-C62E-4987-B032-194C7F79A88A.jpeg
Andrew, I'm in Denver. Which Discount Tires location did you go to? When my R1S arrives (soon, I hope!) I'd like to go to someone who has experience with Rivians. Thanks!
Sponsored