Sponsored

20” AT vs 21” standard tires.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Does anyone have a sense of how tread-wear would compare on the ATs v. the all-season 21s? I've had the ATs in my config forever since I like the look more, I like that they're forged, it's a more standard tire size, and I live in New England so would get some benefit from them in the winter, but it's hard to understate the value of improved range. My first thought is that the 21s might have a longer life span though, which could be a deciding factor given how expensive tires are and that a ride with as much power and acceleration as an R1T might chew through tread faster than I'd expect.
Will take time for real world results… but the 20“ have a 640 UTQG and the 21” are 600. Both good ratings, but the 20” is better for treadwear. Both have an A for traction. The 20” only gets a B for temperature, however, where the 21” manage an A.
Sponsored

Spork8

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I changed my config from 20" to 21" after the estimated window emails were sent last weekend. Got assigned a guide yesterday around noon, got the "Please review and confirm your configuration" email about an hour ago. My hope is to get aftermarket 20" wheels and tires later.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

I'm just really looking forward to seeing reviews of how the 21" tires do in light/medium snow.

I'm in Denver, so we have maybe 10-20 days a year where snow is on the roads, and it gets plowed pretty quick. I'd also drive through occasional winter conditions in the mountains, but this is maybe 1-2 times a year.

Essentially, snow is infrequent enough here that winter tires don't make a lot of sense for me. But the difference between the better quality all-season tires and the lower quality ones is dramatic.

If they perform close to the same at the Michelin Cross-Climate's on my wife's car, I think the 21" tires will be fine. But if they're closer to the all-season's on my sedan, I'd go for the 20" tires.

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
I changed my config from 20" to 21" after the estimated window emails were sent last weekend. Got assigned a guide yesterday around noon, got the "Please review and confirm your configuration" email about an hour ago. My hope is to get aftermarket 20" wheels and tires later.
I'm in the same exact boat and same exact timing. I'm contemplating calling my guide to see what changing back to the 20s will do to my delivery. Super torn between the two. Better looks vs longer range, cheaper price, and (presumably) earlier delivery.

Spork8

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I'm just really looking forward to seeing reviews of how the 21" tires do in light/medium snow.

I'm in Denver, so we have maybe 10-20 days a year where snow is on the roads, and it gets plowed pretty quick. I'd also drive through occasional winter conditions in the mountains, but this is maybe 1-2 times a year.

Essentially, snow is infrequent enough here that winter tires don't make a lot of sense for me. But the difference between the better quality all-season tires and the lower quality ones is dramatic.

If they perform close to the same at the Michelin Cross-Climate's on my wife's car, I think the 21" tires will be fine. But if they're closer to the all-season's on my sedan, I'd go for the 20" tires.
I'm sure the 21's will do fine in snow. We get plenty of snow here and haven't had the need to switch to snow tires on my current vehicle, just running some Michelin Defenders. We don't get much powder though, it's usually wet snow and ice. I guess that's the biggest thing when it comes to snow, what kind of snow you see.

Sponsored

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
Just wondering if we have a real world range difference for 21, 20 and 22"

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
I originally wanted the 20" off road but my guide suggested to go with the 21" road tires for faster delivery. After doing a little research and the fact that 90% of my driving will be on road and 10% off road (nothing too hard core) I went with road tires. Very happy so far and I still will be able to go off road on moderate desert trails, no more winters in my future........
Sponsored