Sponsored

20” AT vs 21” standard tires.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Think of tubes. Cylinders that are hollow. Frequently used to move liquids and gases. Lots of them used in cars and trucks. Good to have a few spare around if you're off-roading.
Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
For the lifetime argument I'm thinking that a low rolling resistance 275/60/R20 might wind up being more efficient than even the 21" if you replace them after the original AT's get used up. Depending on how long you own the truck you might come out ahead in the long run.
Yeah I think that's true. I'll probably look at the options when my first set wear out. I'm sure I'll go through a lot of tires on this truck no matter what.

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
I assume most of you living with snow change tires depending on the season, right? Surely you don't drive with snow tires all year?
No, the softer compound on snows wear very fast in warm temps. Plus the range hit from added rolling resistance would be atrocious.

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
I just watched a Munro video where he takes the R1T through an off road torture test with the road tires, amazing what the truck did. Considering I will be 80% on road and 20% off road (and very lightly with my new $80,000 + truck) I just switched my config from the all terrain to the 21" after watching the video, link below.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Wheels, tires, accessories and vehicles fall into the arena of personal preference...everyone has a favorite pizza and yours might not be mine.....I was born and raised in San Diego, which makes me genetically inclined to off-road, baja, supercross, moto-x, etc., so 20" AT's all the way for me and they look infinitely better on a truck as opposed to the 21" or 22" DONK's ;).....If I was ultimate worried about a 19 mile loss of range, then I wouldn't be driving a 7340lb behemoth of an EV, I'd be in a Tesla or Leaf (similar ILK and mindsets - wink ).....

Sponsored

EzMev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old SUV
I am in the bargain hunting camp...the fact that 20" and 22" are free in LE editions, even though the 21" make a ton more sense to me, it's hard to select them lol...

10% is a lot, and 15% obviously more. Losing ~40+ miles is a huge deal when considering use cases, like one of mine would be to make it to Tahoe from the SF Bay Area without stopping...its 195 miles, gaining elevation and AC Summer/heat winter. Curious how the 20's would impact that trip vs. the 21's

Wheels, tires, accessories and vehicles fall into the arena of personal preference...everyone has a favorite pizza and yours might not be mine.....I was born and raised in San Diego, which makes me genetically inclined to off-road, baja, supercross, moto-x, etc., so 20" AT's all the way for me and they look infinitely better on a truck as opposed to the 21" or 22" DONK's ;).....If I was ultimate worried about a 19 mile loss of range, then I wouldn't be driving a 7340lb behemoth of an EV, I'd be in a Tesla or Leaf (similar ILK and mindsets - wink ).....

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I am in the bargain hunting camp...the fact that 20" and 22" are free in LE editions, even though the 21" make a ton more sense to me, it's hard to select them lol...

10% is a lot, and 15% obviously more. Losing ~40+ miles is a huge deal when considering use cases, like one of mine would be to make it to Tahoe from the SF Bay Area without stopping...its 195 miles, gaining elevation and AC Summer/heat winter. Curious how the 20's would impact that trip vs. the 21's
I drive pretty conservatively; that said, in all purpose mode I'm getting about 300 mi. range without having an oddball size (21") that has virtually no support in real world options. Have had the experience of having to wait for a non-standard tire in the past, no thank you going forward.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

That Munro off-road video is literally everything you shouldn’t do when off-roading.
Watched it when it came out and remembered the Land Rover (and others) motto “as slow as possible, as fast as necessary”. In other words, take it easy unless you need the speed.
Truck came out pretty hurt after some really non demanding obstacles due to Munro’s carelessness.
Tread lightly

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I drive pretty conservatively; that said, in all purpose mode I'm getting about 300 mi. range without having an oddball size (21") that has virtually no support in real world options. Have had the experience of having to wait for a non-standard tire in the past, no thank you going forward.
are you getting 300 miles with all season tires on 20"?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
That Munro off-road video is literally everything you shouldn’t do when off-roading.
Watched it when it came out and remembered the Land Rover (and others) motto “as slow as possible, as fast as necessary”. In other words, take it easy unless you need the speed.
Truck came out pretty hurt after some really non demanding obstacles due to Munro’s carelessness.
Tread lightly
He’s just driving like a consultant 🫠

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gavinmcc

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
I just want to say that because of this damn thread I’ve changed my tire selection like 5 times.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I just want to say that because of this damn thread I’ve changed my tire selection like 5 times.
I changed to 21” out of curiosity to see if I get a guide assigned. Since I’m around 90 days from my delivery window if I do get one assigned I’d try to get a sense of how much of a delay on the ATs, I can wait a few weeks at this point.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Does anyone have a sense of how tread-wear would compare on the ATs v. the all-season 21s? I've had the ATs in my config forever since I like the look more, I like that they're forged, it's a more standard tire size, and I live in New England so would get some benefit from them in the winter, but it's hard to understate the value of improved range. My first thought is that the 21s might have a longer life span though, which could be a deciding factor given how expensive tires are and that a ride with as much power and acceleration as an R1T might chew through tread faster than I'd expect.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T