First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I am really not sure what to do here. I wish they gave the range information in the configurator. I think I am going to have to email them.

Since this truck will be arriving in Nov in Canada I am thinking I will get the AT since they should be good in the snow, and then will not have to get winters put on?

Are these AT tires rated for ice? What is the exact model?

Arghhh!
Easy there, just because you are saving the configuration doesn't mean you have to sign the check today. I think Rivian was forced to open the configurator today due to an error on their part. Im expecting more info by the end of the year or early next one [ prob not in a rush anymore] as it was their initial plan.
Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
...The changes in software sound questionable. How would we tell the vehicle what size we're running if we swap out say off-road vs on road tires?....
The GPS could, which is accurate to less than a foot, could figure it out in about two tire rotations.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I appear to be in the minority here, as my concern is more the snow and off-road performance of these tires vs. whether they’ll corner like a 911. There’s a reason I’m swapping out my Model S and 4Runner for this. I want to use it off-road and want tires that are optimized for that.

As others have mentioned, I really like to see some specs on the 20” A/T tires. At a $3500 upgrade from the 21” all-season option, I could buy a set of 20” (or even 19”) rims plus Durotrac or K2 tires and then sell the std 21” Rivians. I put in the 20” in the Configurator, but am now questioning that decision.

Anyway, if anyone gets any updates or tire specs for the 20” A/T, please post. Also, if there’s any way to update your configuration after you’ve saved it, that would be helpful too. I’ve opted for the largest battery, so have time to update my build if I could only figure out how to do it.

Thanks!

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I appear to be in the minority here, as my concern is more the snow and off-road performance of these tires vs. whether they’ll corner like a 911. There’s a reason I’m swapping out my Model S and 4Runner for this. I want to use it off-road and want tires that are optimized for that.

As others have mentioned, I really like to see some specs on the 20” A/T tires. At a $3500 upgrade from the 21” all-season option, I could buy a set of 20” (or even 19”) rims plus Durotrac or K2 tires and then sell the std 21” Rivians. I put in the 20” in the Configurator, but am now questioning that decision.

Anyway, if anyone gets any updates or tire specs for the 20” A/T, please post. Also, if there’s any way to update your configuration after you’ve saved it, that would be helpful too. I’ve opted for the largest battery, so have time to update my build if I could only figure out how to do it.

Thanks!
You should be able to reconfigure your vehicle and even change model as many times as you want for now. I hoping to get an option to get the r1t 20s on the r1s...

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

jacksonhandy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 GTI
I am really not sure what to do here. I wish they gave the range information in the configurator. I think I am going to have to email them.

Since this truck will be arriving in Nov in Canada I am thinking I will get the AT since they should be good in the snow, and then will not have to get winters put on?

Are these AT tires rated for ice? What is the exact model?

Arghhh!
I asked in the customer service chat, this specifically, which tire would be the EPA range tire. Told me they had no information on that. I also asked when they expected EPA ratings, and was told closer to production.

21" is certainly an odd size (no pun intended), so I'm getting the 20" just for the options on tires later on.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470

Thanks!
What additional specs are you looking for? I would think if you really want more info, you'll need to wait until people have driven on them. It is reasonable to assume they will perform like other other Pirelli Scorpion A/T tires, but it's a unique tread compound (and a unique vehicle) so I wouldn't make any important decisions until I see some driving impressions.

Since you didn't get the Launch Edition, you'll have 6 months to see what others think before you have to finalize a decision.

OEM wheels are always expensive, so I'm sure you can come up with a better value, just keep in mind a standard A/T isn't necessarily suited for an electric truck.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
What are the downside of selecting the 22”?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
What are the downside of selecting the 22”?
1) Bigger wheels reduce range
2) Smaller sidewalls can reduce ride quality, but improve cornering
3) Performance tires tend to use softer compounds & wear out faster

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I'm hoping for an AS vs AT option as an OEM tire on the 20s, but that's not likely to happen since they have partnered with Pirelli and announced the special tires they have developed.
The "standard" 21" wheels are far from it, and replacement options will be limited (perhaps to just the one custom tire from Pirelli). The other vehicle specific tires Pirelli has developed (Bentley, BMW, etc) in the same size ballpark run about $500 ea. from the discount shops

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

1) Bigger wheels reduce range
2) Smaller sidewalls can reduce ride quality, but improve cornering
3) Performance tires tend to use softer compounds & wear out faster

With a Car weighing close to 6klbs I am thinking the following.

1. Range? EH, weight is weight, rotating mass is a thing especially inboard motors but the difference between a 70 to 80lb wheel setup to something 65 to 70lbs is while a big difference in rotating mass, negligible maybe?

2. Cornering on a 3 Ton car should definitely be considered... ahaha.
3. I think more or less wear is a factor for any tire with that weight.

I am really debating getting the 22" because they look badass and the 30 or 40 miles of range might be an issue at the end of the day but nothing can't be solved by getting a forged light set of wheels.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
You should be able to reconfigure your vehicle and even change model as many times as you want for now. I hoping to get an option to get the r1t 20s on the r1s...
I can't see how to do this in the online Configurator. I entered my preferences and hit Save, and now I can view what I saved but see no way to modify it.

Also, is anyone else miffed that the 20" AT is a $3500 upcharge vs. the "standard" 21" AS? I can't for the life of me understand why the smaller wheel is more money. Especially that much!
Sponsored