Sponsored

2 Predictions - R1S Second Row, and Configurator Sneak Peek

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Alright, I have two interesting predictions based on further review (and revelation?) looking at the updated website:

1) The R1S second row will be convertible from bench to captains chairs, by removing the center seat. Yes, I know the text on the site says 60/40, but this image is new & definitely shows something different. Check out the image below & let me know your thoughts.

Rivian R1T R1S 2 Predictions - R1S Second Row, and Configurator Sneak Peek R1S Second Row

2) These interior shots (from the "Learn more about Launch Edition" or "Compare Adventure and Explore" links) are CGI, and I think they are an easter egg & sneak preview of what we'll see in the configurator.
Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I see a fold-down armrest between the outer two second row seats. I'm not sure where you get the idea the middle seat would be removable.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I see a fold-down armrest between the outer two second row seats. I'm not sure where you get the idea the middle seat would be removable.
The second row is 3 distinct pieces, with both the seat & seat back of the middle not contiguous with the outer seats. Makes the outer 2nd row seats look awfully similar to the fronts, right? Every 60/40 I've ever seen shares both seat & seat back between the middle & one of the outer.

Being removable is just an assumption about why it might be made that way, but I'd love to hear if anyone else has ideas for the reasoning behind that design.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
There's actual UI options that are just images when you drill down from that shot IIRC. The little discs for each color or LE edition scheme.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Being removable is just an assumption about why it might be made that way, but I'd love to hear if anyone else has ideas for the reasoning behind that design.
It's is setup that way for more comfort when there are only two people in the back seat. My Highlander is setup the same way. No one really wants to sit in the middle seat.

Sponsored

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess one other possible explanation could be 3rd row ingress/egress out of either door by being able to fold either of the outers without the middle.

60/40s can be made to do that too, but maybe easier just folding a single seat instead of a 60% section?

Last edited:
OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's is setup that way for more comfort when there are only two people in the back seat. My Highlander is setup the same way. No one really wants to sit in the middle seat.
I'm not talking about the armrest/cupholder, I'm talking about the entire middle seat not being attached to the outer on either side.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I'm not talking about the armrest/cupholder, I'm talking about the entire middle seat not being attached to the outer on either side.
It isn't clear to me that it isn't attached. It looks like the seat might fold up revealing additional storage?

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

The second row is 3 distinct pieces, with both the seat & seat back of the middle not contiguous with the outer seats. Makes the outer 2nd row seats look awfully similar to the fronts, right? Every 60/40 I've ever seen shares both seat & seat back between the middle & one of the outer.

@skyote, definitely seems like a pretty decent assumption.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It isn't clear to me that it isn't attached. It looks like the seat might fold up revealing additional storage?
I think it's clear that they're separate pieces, and aesthetic seams would be pointless & wasted $$.

Access to underseat storage just in the middle another good possibility though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@skyote, definitely seems like a pretty decent assumption.
It would be cool/innovative and also explain why they have stated there is not a captains chair option for 2nd row...no option needed, you can have either & even switch back and forth based on expected occupants!

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Would be a nice surprise, but feels like wishful thinking. The R1S could use some ingenuity like this though

JMR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep GC WK2 | Previously: Audi SQ5, GMC Canyon, many others
I definitely think you're onto something.. there's a strange amount of symmetry at the plastic covers where the seats appear to pivot. Looks similar to what is in my Grand Cherokee, but are way more visible in the footwell area. Maybe the second row will be able to slide forward/backward in addition to folding?

EDIT: Also what's up with the upper seatbelt hardware on top of the PASSENGER side seat? Like mentioned, maybe a CGI rendering that isn't fully accurate.

Rivian R1T R1S 2 Predictions - R1S Second Row, and Configurator Sneak Peek 1605230445495

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Maybe the second row will be able to slide forward/backward in addition to folding?
This would be my guess. I saw the rear seats folded on the show cars but never saw them slide forward. Without sliding forward, it makes getting in/out of the 3rd row a real pain. With the 40/20/40 split shown though, this would still allow the potential for the center section to be removable.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I definitely think you're onto something.. there's a strange amount of symmetry at the plastic covers where the seats appear to pivot. Looks similar to what is in my Grand Cherokee, but are way more visible in the footwell area. Maybe the second row will be able to slide forward/backward in addition to folding?

EDIT: Also what's up with the upper seatbelt hardware on top of the PASSENGER side seat? Like mentioned, maybe a CGI rendering that isn't fully accurate.

1605230445495.png
Seating for 5 or 7 means 3 in the 2nd row. Seatbelt is for middle seat. Headrest is part of the folded down cupholder/armrest and slides up into position
Sponsored