Sponsored

2 Predictions - R1S Second Row, and Configurator Sneak Peek

JMR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep GC WK2 | Previously: Audi SQ5, GMC Canyon, many others
Seating for 5 or 7 means 3 in the 2nd row. Seatbelt is for middle seat. Headrest is part of the folded down cupholder/armrest and slides up into position
If you mean my comment about the seatbelt, I was referring to the unused hardware on the passenger side. I wouldn't expect it to be there (in blue). The R1T is opposite the R1S - R1T middle seatbelt is on passenger side, R1S is on the driver side.

Rivian R1T R1S 2 Predictions - R1S Second Row, and Configurator Sneak Peek 1605232963920
Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I am wondering if the front row will offer a removeable center console as well that converts into a portable cooler! Would be neat...

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I am wondering if the front row will offer a removeable center console as well that converts into a portable cooler! Would be neat...
That won’t happen

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Emme told them to cool the center console drawer. You never know...

CO_R1S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet 2500HD, Preorder R1S
Occupation
Engineer
The removable middle seat would be great, and I agree the photos make it look as such. Personally I am hoping for a 6 seat configuration, much more simple with the kid situation. Also the Lincoln Navigator / Ford Expedition has the same setup where the middle seat is easily unbolted and removed. The only downside there is you have holes in the carpet, but maybe Rivian already thought of that. Fingers crossed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Another interesting thought is just an insulated insert for that center console drawer. Add cold packs or ice, have easy access for cold drinks on the road, then pull it out if you want to carry it with you.

If Rivian doesn't offer it as an option, maybe I'll work on an aftermarket offering.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From a recent chat w/ Support:

Me - Will the middle seat in the 2nd row of the R1S be removable?

Rivian - They will not be removeable but the 2nd row does move forward at a 60/40 angle for access to the 3rd row. The 2nd & 3rd row do fold flat

Me - A couple of comments for the design/engineering team

Rivian - And yes, we always welcome feed back. I'm happy to pass information on to our team of experts

Me - 1) It would be very cool to make the 2nd row middle seat removable so that people could choose to have a "captains" chair configuration when desired, and the ability to replace the middle seat when needed.

Rivian - I completely agree with you too. Many customers have asked and I will certainly pass this feed back to them. I had an opportunity to speak with our CEO RJ yesterday and we've had a brief discussion about it. He will be happy to hear your feed back. Thanks again!

Me - 2) It would also be awesome to have a removable insulated cooler for the front console drawer. This could allow access to cold drinks while on the road, and the ability to take the cooler out once you reach a destination.

Me - #1 would be unique in the market and a very cool differentiator

Rivian - For comment #2 you can expect something similar to that to launch soon within our configurator, as we will be adding and updating new features over the next few months :)

riviak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Thanks and keep the updates coming about potential 6 seat config. Will otherwise have to be a model X for this family of 6.

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Rivian R1T R1S 2 Predictions - R1S Second Row, and Configurator Sneak Peek weird

Speaking of weird possible CGI inaccuracies: What's with the 4 seatbelts in the 3rd row?

And yes, a 40/20/40 second row with a removable middle would be a great surprise... But a tilt feature would allow even better access IMO

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
weird.png

Speaking of weird possible CGI inaccuracies: What's with the 4 seatbelts in the 3rd row?

And yes, a 40/20/40 second row with a removable middle would be a great surprise... But a tilt feature would allow even better access IMO
Any idea about 3rd row seat AC vents?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
My Ford Expedition had an independent middle seat in the second row, but it was not removable unless you wanted to get out the socket wrench. Anything can be removed with the right tools. ;-)

riviak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
My Ford Expedition had an independent middle seat in the second row, but it was not removable unless you wanted to get out the socket wrench. Anything can be removed with the right tools. ;-)
Rivian - I’d be fine with this - can you please allow us the option to remove middle seat from 2nd row? Tilt/fold down access to 3rd row doesn’t work well with car seats!

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think I want the middle seat for most situations, but had the same exact thought! Here's to hoping RJ thinking it's a good idea & possibly tasking the team with making removal easier, while still ensuring safety.

Rivian - I’d be fine with this - can you please allow us the option to remove middle seat from 2nd row? Tilt/fold down access to 3rd row doesn’t work well with car seats!
Anyone that thinks this is a cool idea should share that with Rivian's support team. The more they hear it, the better chance they'll do something about it.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I think I want the middle seat for most situations, but had the same exact thought! Here's to hoping RJ thinking it's a good idea & possibly tasking the team with making removal easier, while still ensuring safety.

Anyone that thinks this is a cool idea should share that with Rivian's support team. The more they hear it, the better chance they'll do something about it.
I don't doubt that will be an option in future vehicles. Right now they must be thinking about lower complexity since they need to verify the production line and ship to customers soon. Id imagine having the R1T and S back seats similar helps.
It still seems to me that they are building vehicles by hand to have these show/ test vehicles, but once the robots are added then more verification will be needed.
Sponsored