Sponsored

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S Dual Motor Large Battery 21"
Hi all,

It's been a little over 2 months since we picked up the R1S in Sacramento, CA. Our biggest reasons for buying the R1S was to bring it camping and sleeping inside the cabin. We've been on 5 camping trips so far and I have to say we've accomplished just that!

Here are some features in the R1S that just makes sense for camping:
  1. Power and Outlets: Duh, but it's just a gamechanger in various ways. No more cooking with propane, making sure devices are charged, bringing enough portable batteries, making sure it's not too cold/hot, etc... We can just pick anywhere and go without too much prep.
  2. Camp Mode: Everything in camp mode helps with camping, but most importantly Level SUV function. We are no longer restricted with the location or the condition of the campsite. We can't live without it!
  3. Flashlight and Camp Speaker: I was definitely in the "this is cool but doesn't seem useful" camp before picking up the R1S. I can talk about their specific uses, but in my opinion the best part about these accessories is that they are always available when you need them.
  4. Hotspot: Perfect whenever our phone doesn't get service. So far we haven't been to a place where neither can connect.
  5. Driver+: Since we drive 1-2hrs or more, using Driver+ on the freeway helps a lot with reducing fatigue.

And some tips for better sleeping in the R1S:
  1. Master Camp Mode: Once you understand all the features and quarks, you will have a comfortable time sleeping in the car. Actually you need to understand it pretty well!
  2. Climate Control: A good rule of thumb is if you are sleeping with all doors/windows closed, then you need to have some airflow.
  3. Create more room: After setting up the mattress in the back, move and lean forward both front seats. Also take off the 2nd row headrests.
  4. Window shades: Good for regulating temp inside the cabin and also provides privacy in crowded campgrounds.
  5. Bedding: We have a foam air mattress, double sleeping bag, and pillows combo. So far so good on the comfort and temp.

Here's a video without paragraphs to read 😅 :
Sponsored

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Nice video and review. What is the sanctuary animal? I initially thought you brought it with you.

OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nice video and review. What is the sanctuary animal? I initially thought you brought it with you.
Thanks! The thumbnail is showing one of the two guardian dogs from our trip to a ranch a few weeks ago. They were the the most well behaved dogs I've ever seen and we miss them! Thought I'd show them off more as a thumbnail 😆 They're from the May 10 video.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

I meant the goat-sheep animal-lol. I thought you brought it with you on a trip

OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I meant the goat-sheep animal-lol
You can tell I'm obsessed with that dog lol. He was an elderly goat in an animal sanctuary. We also saw peacocks, horses, alpacas, etc.

Sponsored

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Hotspot: Perfect whenever our phone doesn't get service. So far we haven't been to a place where neither can connect.
This one won't apply to us ATT cell users. Too bad Rivian won't allow us to choose our own provider so we can get double network coverage

Sempervirens

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Ioniq 5 SE RWD
Did camping in Lassen. No cell service! 😔 But it just meant, enjoy the outdoors!

What do you cook with if not gas?

My fear was draining the battery too far down without a fast charger near by. Even in camp mode we lost 10mi per day of range, with all the in and out of the vehicle.
Sponsored