Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
Nice ... too bad RIVIAN doesn't have 240V outlets at higher amperage ... you could likely power significantly more of your house. This is a big miss on RIVIAN's part vs the F150 Lightning.
It’s a huge miss.
Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Glad you're family is ok now. I didn't think about this with the Rivian. I live in Dallas and survived the February 14th 2021 freeze; otherwise known as "the St. Valentine's Day massacre. " I've been looking at back up options every since and could never settle on something.

I jumped on the Rivian because of the freeze because none of my cars could navigate the snow and ice and I wanted a vehicle that would get me through Armageddon.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
It’s a huge miss.
Definitely. I think Rivian was focusing on the "adventuring" aspect of the vehicle where 240V devices aren't really applicable. While Ford, was focusing on "work" and "home" aspects where 240V devices and the ability to power your home (even without the V2H capability available yet) was important.

Last edited:

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
I suppose it could still be possible using the charging port on the Rivian to supply current out, but it would have been so nice to just have a NEMA 14-x outlet.

Sponsored

diranged

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Out of curiosity - (roughly) where do you live? There was a fire near our house on the same days you posted… We’re in Redwood City, where a number of other R1T owners (employees mostly) live.

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Thanks for posting some positive news related to Rivian. It's not surprising to me that as more of these get into people's hands that the message boards will be taking over with people posting about problems...seems to happen on every vehicle message board.

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Out of curiosity - (roughly) where do you live? There was a fire near our house on the same days you posted… We’re in Redwood City, where a number of other R1T owners (employees mostly) live.
I’m near the Elks club

diranged

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I’m near the Elks club
Yup, that’s the fire I thought you were talking about. We were camping in Big Sur when we got the messages about the fire. Glad everything is OK up there. We regularly hang out at our friends house on Paradise…

keep an eye out for my LG truck.. I’m around. ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
I wonder where the 15 amp 120 v dc/ac converter is? Probably the frunk. It's just hardware, what if you replaced it with a 220v higher amp converter? You cant just change things out because of warranties but also because you can't change the software that must control that. If it was in the frunk you could install at 220v outlet there. I do think the lack of 220v is the biggest miss. The f150ev with it's optional 80 amp charging but also high power outlets and powering the house is a great idea.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Definitely. I think Rivian was focusing on the "adventuring" aspect of the vehicle were 240V devices aren't really applicable. While Ford, was focusing on "work" and "home" aspects where 240V devices and the ability to charge your home (even without the V2H capability available yet) was important.
Yes…and certainly true at the time Rivian was developing their vehicles, which for their current models was many, many…many years ago…

Believe it or not Ford is the more nimble one here…

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm near you guys, too (Temescal Way). My R1T should be delivered week after next.
Is your truck red? I was followed by a red R1T on Jefferson last week...

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
Is your truck red? I was followed by a red R1T on Jefferson last week...
Yes, that was me. I was on my way home from the South San Francisco service center. They replaced a seal on my right front drive unit That had been leaking oil.
Sponsored