Sponsored

1st deliveries in November says my Rivian Guide. Communication from RJ expected today

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Seems like everyone replying is missing the "under promise and over deliver".

So say deliveries are delayed until December, then deliver in September/October.

Typically this is a good engineering tactic (I use it myself, learned from Star Trek), but the fact they've allegedly given people October timelines means that it really won't have the intended effect.
Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Seems like everyone replying is missing the "under promise and over deliver".

So say deliveries are delayed until December, then deliver in September/October.

Typically this is a good engineering tactic (I use it myself, learned from Star Trek), but the fact they've allegedly given people October timelines means that it really won't have the intended effect.
If ever the company had actually over-delivered, then maybe that would be a believable sentiment. Unfortunately, history tells us to absolutely not trust that is how the company operates.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
So this what a worldwide pandemic can cause. Go figure. Horrible time to be a buyer of anything. We are hoping to get our new couch in April ?

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Oh and Tesla Model Y is sold out thru 3rd Quarter and their powerwall is backlogged by 80,000 units.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
They're so delayed that even the announcement of a delay is delayed!

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Wow, this sucks. And is completely what I expected to happen.

Guess I’ll just go buy some other non-Tesla (hate the design and Elon) 3 row all-electric SUVs already on the market.

oh wait, those don’t exist… so I guess I’m stuck waiting here unless another option magically appears! Probably would have leased a highlander hybrid 3 years ago had I known about the delays. But it’s too late for that to make sense now.

Bummer.

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
Probably would have leased a highlander hybrid 3 years ago had I known about the delays. But it’s too late for that to make sense now.
To be fair, if you're really choosing between an R1S and a Highlander, that's like comparing apples and oranges.

The Rivian is a premium luxury vehicle with tons of capability and features, and IMO is several leagues above a Highlander in every way. I would personally never step down to something like a Highlander unless I was desperate and needed a new car NOW and couldn't wait. It's kind of just like taking a huge compromise only to get a new vehicle a few months sooner.

Sponsored

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
To be fair, if you're really choosing between an R1S and a Highlander, that's like comparing apples and oranges.

The Rivian is a premium luxury vehicle with tons of capability and features, and IMO is several leagues above a Highlander in every way. I would personally never step down to something like a Highlander unless I was desperate and needed a new car NOW and couldn't wait. It's kind of just like taking a huge compromise only to get a new vehicle a few months sooner.
Totally agree the R1S is far superior on every metric, which is why I’d have leased the highlander as a placeholder until delivery, not as a long term car. My priority is getting an efficient (EV if possible) 3 row SUV. Luxury is a bonus, though important to me.

Aside from the R1S, there’s nothing. I’m not paying R1S prices for the plug in XC90 with its pathetic all-electric range/weak highway fuel economy. So I wait.

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
For everyone who was expecting deliveries this year, I can definitely see how a potential delay would be a bummer. But for someone like me who reserved only this March and isn’t planning or expecting delivery until late 2022, I still think these vehicles are worth the wait because of how great they seem on paper and in videos/images.

Hopefully the delay ends up not actually being a real thing.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Seriously though… any hints at all that the OP wasn’t full of crap? Or perhaps they misunderstood what the guide told them? I doubt there’s anything coming from RJ at this point in the day.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
New product development is really hard to launch on time. With something as complex as a new vehicle from scratch there will always be unexpected issues. Doesn't mean a bad design, if anything it just means they are taking it seriously.

As a customer who doesn't need a new car right away, I prefer they work out any issues instead of trying to ship a product that isn't finished.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
New product development is really hard to launch on time. With something as complex as a new vehicle from scratch there will always be unexpected issues. Doesn't mean a bad design, if anything it just means they are taking it seriously.

As a customer who doesn't need a new car right away, I prefer they work out any issues instead of trying to ship a product that isn't finished.
Absolutely right!

I wish there was some AI built into the forum to mute all of the whiners with one click.
Sponsored