Sponsored

1st batch of R1Ts delivered use what battery?

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
So is Samsung SDI battery supplier for the first batches of vehicles? Anyone have a snapshot of the battery label as it sits post-delivery? Where are they made, city and state, what is the full capacity in kWh and what is the user able to access?
Thanks,
Dirty_B
Sponsored

Last edited:

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I haven't seen the battery manufacturer labels. I assume Samsung – I've not read of Rivian actually changing, just intent upon their own in-house production because plans to go into a joint manufacturing deal with Samsung fizzled.
Nominal capacity is 135kWh and testing shows 125kWh available.
Latest software charges at maximum 440 V at 500 A and I think there's been users reporting seeing 220kW actual. I've not seen the curve plotted since the update, but it falls off about 60% due to lack of battery cooling.

OP
OP
Dirty_B

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I haven't seen the battery manufacturer labels. I assume Samsung – I've not read of Rivian actually changing, just intent upon their own in-house production because plans to go into a joint manufacturing deal with Samsung fizzled.
Nominal capacity is 135kWh and testing shows 125kWh available.
Latest software charges at maximum 440 V at 500 A and I think there's been users reporting seeing 220kW actual. I've not seen the curve plotted since the update, but it falls off about 60% due to lack of battery cooling.
Appreciate the comeback. I have the feeling based on research that they are using the SDI, but wanted a "for sure" if someone had the data.

I get the charge voltage, but the battery operates somewhere below that. For example, a normal ICE battery is 12V but running Alternators put out over 14V to charge the battery, Tesla's battery is like 370-380V or something like that and charges via SuperCharger at 480V. So curious what the battery voltage is.

Thanks
Dirty_B

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I get the charge voltage, but the battery operates somewhere below that. For example, a normal ICE battery is 12V but running Alternators put out over 14V to charge the battery, Tesla's battery is like 370-380V or something like that and charges via SuperCharger at 480V. So curious what the battery voltage is.
You are talking about entirely different battery chemistries here.

The Tesla traction battery in my first X was labeled 385V. In my newer one the voltage is not stated on the label. In any case these batteries are charged from voltages ranging from a bit under 400V to a bit over i.e. the maximum recorded voltage for a SC session might be 402 to 405V.

OP
OP
Dirty_B

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
You are talking about entirely different battery chemistries here.

The Tesla traction battery in my first X was labeled 385V. In my newer one the voltage is not stated on the label. In any case these batteries are charged from voltages ranging from a bit under 400V to a bit over i.e. the maximum recorded voltage for a SC session might be 402 to 405V.
Thanks and yes I get the chemistries. Subject came up in discussions with friends that they were thinking Rivian already shifted to LFP and I was pretty sure they had not. Also I wanted to know the tech detail of what was in it specifically as I asked above - I think user accessible is 135kWh, but that pack is not 135 kWh it's something greater than 135, like 150 so 10% is reserved. I think they're made in MI but that building looks too small to make a large # of batteries....

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

anyone tried opening the flashlight to look at the cell?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Thanks and yes I get the chemistries. Subject came up in discussions with friends that they were thinking Rivian already shifted to LFP and I was pretty sure they had not. Also I wanted to know the tech detail of what was in it specifically as I asked above - I think user accessible is 135kWh, but that pack is not 135 kWh it's something greater than 135, like 150 so 10% is reserved. I think they're made in MI but that building looks too small to make a large # of batteries....
The public information about the use of LFP batteries was specifically about the "small" or "standard" battery pack that won't be available until 2023 or 2024, not about the "large" packs that are being made right now.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

anyone tried opening the flashlight to look at the cell?
I know there was a lot of assumptions about it being the same cell, but it's an 18650, not a 2170.
Rivian R1T R1S 1st batch of R1Ts delivered use what battery? 1652970009899

Rivian R1T R1S 1st batch of R1Ts delivered use what battery? 1652970021713

Last edited:

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I know there was a lot of assumptions about it being the same cell, but it's an 18650, not a 21750.
1652970009899.png

1652970021713.png
Interesting I wonder why they could have easily gotten that into the light then it would have been the same cell and probably cheaper for them with their bulk buying of the other cells right?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Interesting I wonder why they could have easily gotten that into the light then it would have been the same cell and probably cheaper for them with their bulk buying of the other cells right?
I'm not sure, but if the 3.2v on the cell is correct, that means it's likely an LFP battery. I didn't actually measure the battery and I don't have other 18650s here unwrapped so it's possible I just misremembered the size of them. If I have time tonight I'll do the same thing with a loose 18650 for comparison, but I'm pretty sure this is too small to be a 2170

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I'm not sure, but if the 3.2v on the cell is correct, that means it's likely an LFP battery. I didn't actually measure the battery and I don't have other 18650s here unwrapped so it's possible I just misremembered the size of them. If I have time tonight I'll do the same thing with a loose 18650 for comparison, but I'm pretty sure this is too small to be a 2170
I think you are right because I would assume a 2170 AH would be higher.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
The size difference between the two cell formats isn't huge, so it'd probably be easy enough to mistake one for the other if you aren't looking at them at the same time. Here are som Panasonic cells side-by-side.

Rivian R1T R1S 1st batch of R1Ts delivered use what battery? 1652984329846

And yeah, 3.2V is too low for the high-nickel Samsung SDI cells that we believe are in the vehicle's packs. Those should be 3.6-3.7V.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I know there was a lot of assumptions about it being the same cell, but it's an 18650, not a 2170.
1652970009899.png

1652970021713.png
The Flashlight battery is not the same battery as in the R1T’s pack. This has been misstated over and over. I’m fairly certain it’s a 18650 in the Flashlight, 2170’s in the pack.

At ~ 17:30 RJ states they are not the same battery as the one in the Flashlight is slimmer.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
For reference, the 2170 cell in my Fenix flashlight is 3.6V and 5000 mAh.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
By the time I get my R1S they may start using new chemistry like Li-S or May be silicon anode battery G-Wagon is using. watching the news, it is hard not to think anything for sale today is already outdated.
Sponsored