Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 R1T, 23 R1S, 23 RR LWB, 21 Yukon XL
Occupation
Executive
Clubs

Wanted to show the running boards installed.

I decided to go with the 4” hole option and am waiting for some 4” rubber grommets to fill the holes with (after some slight modifications).

- the printed templates were spot on from 1EV.
- I got the 4” hole saw from them. The pilot drill bit broke after hole 5…so I had to do an audible to get them finished. Might be best to order that elsewhere as the bit was super flimsy…if you get one from a hardware store, pickup 2 just in case and return 1 if you don’t need it

I’m thinking about offering install in Raleigh for anyone that wants to order these in our area or if they want to bring here.

once I get grommets installed I’ll add pictures of the bottom.

Rivian R1T R1S 1EV R1T Running Boards Installed IMG_4296

Rivian R1T R1S 1EV R1T Running Boards Installed IMG_4297

Rivian R1T R1S 1EV R1T Running Boards Installed IMG_4298

Rivian R1T R1S 1EV R1T Running Boards Installed IMG_4299
Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We have ordered ours but have not received them yet. thanks for the tip on the 4" hole installation. After reviewing the YouTubes, that is the way that we are leaning. Also, thanks for letting us know about their 4" hole saw. We will make other arrangements. By the way, do they include a torx 55 bit?

We are also looking at grommets.

Brian

OP
OP
swflor

swflor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Executive
Clubs

We have ordered ours but have not received them yet. thanks for the tip on the 4" hole installation. After reviewing the YouTubes, that is the way that we are leaning. Also, thanks for letting us know about their 4" hole saw. We will make other arrangements. By the way, do they include a torx 55 bit?

Brian
They included the torx 55 bit, however your drill needs to have a 1/2” chuck in order for it to work. Oddly neither a drill or an impact gun would remove the frame bolts. I had to use a ratchet and a long breaker bar to get the leverage needed to break them loose. Then I switched to a drill to remove and reinstall.

The torx bit they send you will SLIDE INTO A 11MM deep socket and that seems to work the best.

I went with these grommets and will see how they are. Should arrive tomorrow.

Flyshop Black 100mm 4" Rubber Plug, 90mm 3-9/16" ID, Hole Plug Synthetic Rubber Grommets Wire Protection, Round, Double-Sided, 4-Pack (Size 90mm x 100mm) https://a.co/d/8wuZPIB

Last edited:

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Thank you for your information. It is very helpful. I have an impact tool that will be able to free the body bolts. I also have a torque wrench to retighten the bolts to spec.

I am also interested in how things work out with your grommets.

Brian

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
hey included the torx 55 bit, however your drill needs to have a 1/2” chuck in order for it to work. Oddly neither a drill or an impact gun would remove the frame bolts. I had to use a ratchet and a long breaker bar to get the leverage needed to break them loose. Then I switched to a drill to remove and reinstall.

The torx bit they send you will SLIDE INTO A 12MM deep socket and that seems to work the best.

I went with these grommets and will see how they are. Should arrive tomorrow.

Flyshop Black 100mm 4" Rubber Plug, 90mm 3-9/16" ID, Hole Plug Synthetic Rubber Grommets Wire Protection, Round, Double-Sided, 4-Pack (Size 90mm x 100mm) https://a.co/d/8wuZPIB
Thank you for your information. It is very helpful. I have an impact tool that will be able to free the body bolts. I also have a torque wrench to retighten the bolts to spec.

I am also interested in how things work out with your grommets.

Brian
Others have tried them. Grommets won't work.

Sponsored

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

I decided to go with the 4” hole option and am waiting for some 4” rubber grommets to fill the holes with (after some slight modifications).

- I got the 4” hole saw from them. The pilot drill bit broke after hole 5…so I had to do an audible to get them finished. Might be best to order that elsewhere as the bit was super flimsy…if you get one from a hardware store, pickup 2 just in case and return 1 if you don’t need it

I’m thinking about offering install in Raleigh for anyone that wants to order these in our area or if they want to bring here.

IMG_4296.jpeg

IMG_4297.jpeg

IMG_4298.jpeg

IMG_4299.jpeg
Looks great, thanks for sharing!

Iatros786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, 997 Turbo, Q7
Clubs

Grommets working perfectly!!

The middle has enough play to allow a slight bump from the bottom of the bracket.

IMG_4304.jpeg

IMG_4303.jpeg
Wow.. awesome job.

I just ordered some!

Any pointers on how to get them to work? Seems like others couldn't?

Thanks

OP
OP
swflor

swflor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Executive
Clubs

Wow.. awesome job.

I just ordered some!

Thanks
I used a small pair of tin snipes….marked where the edge had to be cut to allow for the bracket then slowly cut a slit until I was happy with the way it looked.

each one is custom cut. There is no make one, then cut them all as your holes may be slightly off center of the bracket.

Small flat head screwdriver to peel back, then push the inside lip behind the plastic.

I can take some pics tomorrow..I only had time for 1 side today…so as I do the others I can send a few more pictures.

Iatros786

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, 997 Turbo, Q7
Clubs

I used a small pair of tin snipes….marked where the edge had to be cut to allow for the bracket then slowly cut a slit until I was happy with the way it looked.

each one is custom cut. There is no make one, then cut them all as your holes may be slightly off center of the bracket.

Small flat head screwdriver to peel back, then push the inside lip behind the plastic.

I can take some pics tomorrow..I only had time for 1 side today…so as I do the others I can send a few more pictures.
Oh that would be super helpful!

Im sure a lot of people will consider opting for this over the gorilla tape method?

Sponsored

OP
OP
swflor

swflor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Executive
Clubs

I was really happy that the grommets I got are flexible in the middle, and not precut. Other than the cut I made, they are solid to keep debris out.

One note on my OP…the torx 55 slides into an 11MM deep socket, not the 12MM.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Grommets working perfectly!!

The middle has enough play to allow a slight bump from the bottom of the bracket.

IMG_4304.jpeg

IMG_4303.jpeg
So, they worked on all eight holes, right?

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We have ordered ours but have not received them yet. Thanks for the tip on the 4" hole installation. After reviewing the YouTubes, that is the way that we are leaning. Also, thanks for letting us know about their 4" hole saw. We will make other arrangements. By the way, do they include a torx 55 bit?

Brian

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Wow.. awesome job.

I just ordered some!

Thanks
Looked really good. Ordered some too. I'm currently have gorilla tape on there and it is an eyesore even though who the hell really look under there except for me !!!

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

IMG_4296.jpeg

IMG_4297.jpeg

IMG_4298.jpeg

IMG_4299.jpeg
I have the R1s and two of the 4 inches hole that made are in the same area as the rear jack point. Is the R1T the same? If it is, how did you fit the grommet?
Sponsored