Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
He’s a bit off. Compared to myTRX I save $0.34/mile driving the R1T. After 16k miles that’s a savings of almost $5500 or 3-4 sets of tires.
Drive harder
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jafresh

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE LG, 2023 R1S LE El Cap
Occupation
Concrete Polisher
Probably on par. I was always surprised with how quickly my Tesla Model S needed tires. Then realized it was a 5,000 pound car with north of 750 horsepower on performance tires which already have low mileage ratings. Generally replaced those around the 20,000 to 25,000 mile mark. Had really given it a thought yet since I'm far from that mileage, but now that it's been brought up, makes sense that a 7,000 pound truck on off-road tires, which also have lower mileage ratings, would go through tires faster than average. 20,000 is probably about right. For those that drive more gently, probably 25,000 miles.
Hard to swallow but I think you are right.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Makes sense. I think I also sometimes drive the Rivian like my MS. 😀 Did you get a credit from Rivian SC or from Perelli on the tires?
First set were Good Year from Tesla, I did not even think about a warrenty on those. I tried Pirelli for the second set that was the ones I got the warrenty on, I purchased the last 2 sets at America’s Tire, they were the ones that did the warrenty.. The third set went back to the GoodYear, both brands were about the same for ride, handling, quietness, and mileage.

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
I’ve always got about 15,000 to 18,000 miles on my tires on my Model S. Have changed tires too many times to remember but get a warranty credit back each time.

RYU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The best you can probably do is make sure the tires are inflated correctly and your alignment is optimal.

Did you notice any unusual tire wear? inside wear? middle? shoulders? @Jafresh

Edit: if youre tires are inflated correct and you have inner or outer tire wear check your camber and possibly toe alignment. If you have outer tire wear add more air pressure. inner tire wear remove air pressure.

Sponsored

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
I wonder if this might be a perk of some of the load range E tires in the 20” size - might get a bit better life out of them?

kozak79

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Visual Effects
Clubs

I just needed to replace all 4 tires on my Volvo XC60 after 20,000 miles, 1mm thread on all 4. It's based on driving. I have a heavy foot and break hard. Trying to train myself to drive more gently with the R1T.

Last edited:

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Ya I know I will be changing tires a lot given how many hard launches and hard cornering I have been doing. This thing is just too much fun in sport.

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
I was informed by the SC today my R1T front tires are down to 3/32” and rear tires 5/32”, and that I should consider replacing within the next several thousand miles. It has only has 16k miles on it. I was told it’s not unusual given the trucks weight. I certainly should have had them rotated earlier. Even still I was shocked to realize this is going to be a regular maintenance item at about 20k miles. Is this what others are experiencing as well? I generally drive the truck pretty easy. Once and awhile I push its limits but that’s rare. With winter here I’m looking at a replacement now and that seems crazy. Maybe I just need to realize it’s what comes with having a heavy beast of a truck. Or maybe there are better tires?
This seems to be the norm for heavy, high torque EVs. I have only driven Teslas since 2015 and have literally spent more on tires than I have on electricity to charge them.

Reactions: Rad

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
He’s a bit off. Compared to myTRX I save $0.34/mile driving the R1T. After 16k miles that’s a savings of almost $5500 or 3-4 sets of tires.
To be fair though the TRX is pretty much the worst case scenario in ICE fuel usage. Although it's probably also the most fair comparison to the Rivian because it's the closest performance wise, even though the Rivian blows its doors off.

tbolts10

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Public Safety
I don't think i've ever gotten more than 20k miles on a set of tires on any of my vehicles. I drive them hard and I swap them well before the wear bars due to the rain storms we get here in FL.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Depends on your use case, in my case with a Sienna the gas savings are around $1500 which about covers four tires. So the gas savings are significantly (if not completely) eaten up by this tire wear. Others on the 21”s have had much better wear which is obviously good.

EmPickle

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Honda Odyssey, Miata
Occupation
Geek
I am expecting this when I get my R1S. I have a Tesla Model S and have been replacing the tires every 25 to 30K on a car weighing 4600 lbs.

All that weight with lot of torque and low center of gravity with good cornering I expect is the cause.

Second set I did have partially covered by warrenty, the warrenty was for 55k so got 45% of the original price as a credit for the new ones. I expect at some point the tire manufacturers will start excluding EVs or have a separate mileage for them.
Tesla did this with M3 tires after people unaccustomed to instant torque started wearing through tires. Our second set of tires on our M3 is wearing much better but we're not testing the acceleration as much as we did when the car was new.

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
wait 3 to 4 sets of tires? is that 6 to 8 tires or 12 to 16 tires... trying to figure out what you mean by set usually when I talk tires for vehicles a set is all 4
Sponsored