First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE LG, 2023 R1S LE El Cap
Occupation
Concrete Polisher
I was informed by the SC today my R1T front tires are down to 3/32” and rear tires 5/32”, and that I should consider replacing within the next several thousand miles. It has only has 16k miles on it. I was told it’s not unusual given the trucks weight. I certainly should have had them rotated earlier. Even still I was shocked to realize this is going to be a regular maintenance item at about 20k miles. Is this what others are experiencing as well? I generally drive the truck pretty easy. Once and awhile I push its limits but that’s rare. With winter here I’m looking at a replacement now and that seems crazy. Maybe I just need to realize it’s what comes with having a heavy beast of a truck. Or maybe there are better tires?
Sponsored

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Curious if your regen is set to standard or high? I test drove an R1S recently and the Rivian employee mentioned that he burned through his front tires super fast because he had his regen set to high. Also, which wheel/tire combo do you have? Either way that's disappointing to see.

OP
OP

Jafresh

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Concrete Polisher
OP
OP

Jafresh

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Concrete Polisher
Interesting. I have had regen on high since purchase. I have the 20” LE tires. Perellis. Perhaps changing regen Is worth it.
Curious if your regen is set to standard or high? I test drove an R1S recently and the Rivian employee mentioned that he burned through his front tires super fast because he had his regen set to high. Also, which wheel/tire combo do you have? Either way that's disappointing to see.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I was informed by the SC today my R1T front tires are down to 3/32” and rear tires 5/32”, and that I should consider replacing within the next several thousand miles. It has only has 16k miles on it. I was told it’s not unusual given the trucks weight. I certainly should have had them rotated earlier. Even still I was shocked to realize this is going to be a regular maintenance item at about 20k miles. Is this what others are experiencing as well? I generally drive the truck pretty easy. Once and awhile I push its limits but that’s rare. With winter here I’m looking at a replacement now and that seems crazy. Maybe I just need to realize it’s what comes with having a heavy beast of a truck. Or maybe there are better tires?
I am expecting this when I get my R1S. I have a Tesla Model S and have been replacing the tires every 25 to 30K on a car weighing 4600 lbs.

All that weight with lot of torque and low center of gravity with good cornering I expect is the cause.

Second set I did have partially covered by warrenty, the warrenty was for 55k so got 45% of the original price as a credit for the new ones. I expect at some point the tire manufacturers will start excluding EVs or have a separate mileage for them.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Interesting. I have had regen on high since purchase. I have the 20” LE tires. Perellis. Perhaps changing regen Is worth it.
That's wild. I have 20" ATs and rotate in the spare every 7k. At my 14k rotation it was 9/32" front and 11/32" rear.

I drive All Purpose, standard, high Regen most of the time. We've only used Conserve on two long road trips when necessary.

Edit: to correct my numbers since learning the measuring tool springs down a couple notches after lifting.

Last edited:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
That's wild. I have 20" ATs and rotate in the spare every 7k. At my 14k rotation it was 11/32" front and 14/32" rear.

I drive All Purpose, standard, high Regen most of the time. We've only used Conserve on two long road trips when necessary.
I expect the driver has a lot to do with the tire wear. I will know for sure when I put the next set on the Tesla, after the last set my wife started driving the Tesla 90% of the time. I’m sure the tires are stressed much less with her behind the wheel.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The money you save on gas is consumed by tires

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jafresh

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Concrete Polisher
I am expecting this when I get my R1S. I have a Tesla Model S and have been replacing the tires every 25 to 30K on a car weighing 4600 lbs.

All that weight with lot of torque and low center of gravity with good cornering I expect is the cause.

Second set I did have partially covered by warrenty, the warrenty was for 55k so got 45% of the original price as a credit for the new ones. I expect at some point the tire manufacturers will start excluding EVs or have a separate mileage for them.
Makes sense. I think I also sometimes drive the Rivian like my MS. 😀 Did you get a credit from Rivian SC or from Perelli on the tires?

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Probably on par. I was always surprised with how quickly my Tesla Model S needed tires. Then realized it was a 5,000 pound car with north of 750 horsepower on performance tires which already have low mileage ratings. Generally replaced those around the 20,000 to 25,000 mile mark. Hadn't really given it a thought yet since I'm far from that mileage, but now that it's been brought up, makes sense that a 7,000 pound truck on off-road tires, which also have lower mileage ratings, would go through tires faster than average. 20,000 is probably about right. For those that drive more gently, probably 25,000 miles.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Please show your work, Mr. mtb. 👨🏼‍🏫
I was told there would be no math.

fresh tires are best tires. so It’s good to use them up

OP
OP

Jafresh

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Concrete Polisher
That's wild. I have 20" ATs and rotate in the spare every 7k. At my 14k rotation it was 11/32" front and 14/32" rear.

That’s a substantial difference in wear from just rotating one tire out. I must be driving differently. I realize too that since I am in construction I pull a heavy trailer on occasion. I’m sure that’s a factor also.