Sponsored

12V Battery Drain...you don't use it you lose it.

OP
OP
Bumble1978

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
Here goes something...see y'all in about a week. Off to Vacay and unplug for a bit. ✌❤???

Rivian R1T R1S 12V Battery Drain...you don't use it you lose it. PXL_20210424_142529894
Sponsored

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
FWIW... Rivian CS has reported on several occasions that the R1 will not have a 12V battery. We'll know for sure after deliveries begin.
more likely a DC-DC converter
I don’t know how this is possible, honestly. They definitely have a DC-DC converter to step down voltage and power the 12V systems, but the HV battery is not permanently connected to load, there are contactors to disconnect it when it’s not needed (for fire safety, etc), and those need to be powered by something.

It makes sense that the vehicle would close the contactors and use the HV battery to charge the 12V automatically if it got too low (I believe Tesla does this, but my wife’s Prius does not).

Perhaps they won’t use 12V and use 48V instead (Audi proposed a 48V standard some time ago), but they definitely need a low-voltage battery somewhere that would last somewhere around a day with the passive drains of Wi-Fi/cellular connectivity and other systems. It probably won’t be lead-acid, most EVs/hybrids use lithium-ion.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I don’t know how this is possible, honestly. They definitely have a DC-DC converter to step down voltage and power the 12V systems, but the HV battery is not permanently connected to load, there are contactors to disconnect it when it’s not needed (for fire safety, etc), and those need to be powered by something.

It makes sense that the vehicle would close the contactors and use the HV battery to charge the 12V automatically if it got too low (I believe Tesla does this, but my wife’s Prius does not).

Perhaps they won’t use 12V and use 48V instead (Audi proposed a 48V standard some time ago), but they definitely need a low-voltage battery somewhere that would last somewhere around a day with the passive drains of Wi-Fi/cellular connectivity and other systems. It probably won’t be lead-acid, most EVs/hybrids use lithium-ion.
You're late to the party as it has already been confirmed that there is indeed a 12V battery accessible through the frunk. My previous statement wasn't about what we think/know is possible, the fact was that customer service reported to several different members here (myself included) that Rivian would not use a 12V battery and everything would be powered from the pack - a statement viewed with much skepticism but it's what they were telling us. But, unfortunately that hasn't been the lone bit of misinformation shared by CS.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
You're late to the party as it has already been confirmed that there is indeed a 12V battery accessible through the frunk.
Makes sense. I think I even had this same conversation on a different thread here. I’m tired.

OP
OP
Bumble1978

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
Great Success!

After 6 days sitting, detached the trickle charger, and took Bumble for a spin to drop off a return at the Post Office. Boom. :cool:

Big battery was left at about 75%, returned to about a 5-6% decrease, meh. No biggie.

12V Battery Drain Problem solved.

:like:

Rivian R1T R1S 12V Battery Drain...you don't use it you lose it. PXL_20210429_180118825.NIGHT
Sponsored