Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Useless to you. I put in a phone mount and wish I had the dash 12V to plug it in rather than running it to the center console.
Yup this is why I included the (to me), everyone’s use case is different. Between the two id prefer frunk, but I don’t control Rivians manufacturing 😅
Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Useless to you. I put in a phone mount and wish I had the dash 12V to plug it in rather than running it to the center console.
Picking up my Rivian on Friday. Really hoping to "win the lotto" and get the dash 12v and frunk 12v, but am not optimistic.

Not having any power sources on the dash is a real deal-breaker for me. Anyone have any success with the OBD2-to-USB adapters? Thinking to get one like this and snake a wire under the dash anywhere I can up to a phone mount, LOL.

Maybe something like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/18-9in-Adapter-Voltage-Protection-Charging/dp/B09RH1X23F/

Rivian R1T R1S 12 volt frunk power outlet is back! > in my just-delivered 2023 R1T (mid 18000 VIN) 1680110049085

Edit: alternatively, any good spots to tap in to add 12v/USB in the dash? Maybe the left the lead, like some people were reporting still finding in the frunk?

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
Picking up my Rivian on Friday. Really hoping to "win the lotto" and get the dash 12v and frunk 12v, but am not optimistic.

Not having any power sources on the dash is a real deal-breaker for me. Anyone have any success with the OBD2-to-USB adapters? Thinking to get one like this and snake a wire under the dash anywhere I can up to a phone mount, LOL.

Maybe something like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/18-9in-Adapter-Voltage-Protection-Charging/dp/B09RH1X23F/

1680110049085.png
I've used those types in the Teslas for dashcam power and they worked fine.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm still not sure what I would use the 12V in the frunk or under the dash for, but if anyone would like to share what they plan on using theirs for it would be helpful! I have ski boot heaters, but they run on USB/120V plug and not a 12V.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
I'm still not sure what I would use the 12V in the frunk or under the dash for, but if anyone would like to share what they plan on using theirs for it would be helpful! I have ski boot heaters, but they run on USB/120V plug and not a 12V.
I havent studied the power but in the past the 12V adapters with the right product could charge phones at a higher power level than the outlets in the car. Not sure what amperage the USB-Cs in the Rivian put out but that's what I used my 12V in my Tesla for - charging phones at max speeds.

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I havent studied the power but in the past the 12V adapters with the right product could charge phones at a higher power level than the outlets in the car. Not sure what amperage the USB-Cs in the Rivian put out but that's what I used my 12V in my Tesla for - charging phones at max speeds.
Got it - would need an adaptor obviously. I have one of the wireless charging mats (AdventureMat) but it's not the fastest charging in the world.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

radar detector

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Could someone with the socketless frunk and socketful dash check the dash socket to see if it’s working? My 173xx R1T has the socket under the dash but it doesn’t seem to be powered. I wonder if they didn’t wire the dash up but had to run through remaining inventory of dash/outlets even though they wouldn’t be functional.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Could someone with the socketless frunk and socketful dash check the dash socket to see if it’s working? My 173xx R1T has the socket under the dash but it doesn’t seem to be powered. I wonder if they didn’t wire the dash up but had to run through remaining inventory of dash/outlets even though they wouldn’t be functional.
if it doesnt work but its there, it should work and i would open a service ticket.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
My 2 12V outlets (dash and gear tunnel) both have power. Meant to check them when I checked all the 120V ones but got distracted I guess. VIN N019XXX

KubotaTed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150, Bronco, 812, R8, S5, Cayenne,67 Mustang
Occupation
Actuary
radar detector
I haven't read the entire thread, but am I correct in saying you're using the frunk 12V outlet to power a radar detector? If so, what type of application of a radar detector? (meaning windshield mount or the ones that are installed in the bumpers)
Sponsored