Sponsored

12-Hour EV Test in Cold Temps (in a Mach-E)

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I guess that’s kind of chilly…

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I think the fundamental flaw here is that they started at/near 100% state of charge. I think starting at 75% or even 50% would be a better "stress" test. What if I were on the highway and had already driven 50-60 miles? not everyone there just left work or home with a fully charged battery and immediately got on the highway and then stopped in the traffic jam

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Kick. Your. Wheel wells. People! ??‍♂

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I think the fundamental flaw here is that they started at/near 100% state of charge. I think starting at 75% or even 50% would be a better "stress" test. What if I were on the highway and had already driven 50-60 miles? not everyone there just left work or home with a fully charged battery and immediately got on the highway and then stopped in the traffic jam
Also would’ve been more useful if it was actually cold ?

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I mean the result would have been the same/similar right unless he was already below 30% SOC.

Also how much fuel would a ICE vehicle use if it was idling for 12 hours in cold weather. The standard answer I found while searching is 0.2 - 0.7 gallons/hour for gasoline and up to 1 gallon/hour for diesel for an idling car at nominal temperature. If you assume 15 gallons in a typical full tank and 0.5 gallons/hour then you could get 30 hours on a full tank (vs 48 hours extrapolating the test above).

Based on quick math it seems the Mach-e did quite well.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Cool test! Confirms the guesswork many of us EV owners did in the other thread.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I mean the result would have been the same/similar right unless he was already below 30% SOC.

Also how much fuel would a ICE vehicle use if it was idling for 12 hours in cold weather. The standard answer I found while searching is 0.2 - 0.7 gallons/hour for gasoline and up to 1 gallon/hour for diesel for an idling car at nominal temperature. If you assume 15 gallons in a typical full tank and 0.5 gallons/hour then you could get 30 hours on a full tank (vs 48 hours extrapolating the test above).

Based on quick math it seems the Mach-e did quite well.
Does the last 50% of your phone last as long as the first 50%?

Certainly in my experience, it doesn't. Also regardless, saying it would likely lose 50% of the battery after 24 hours (assuming linear drain results) that may not feel so bad having 50% left and knowing you can make the trip to the next charger (or home) with range to spare, vs starting at 75% (or lower) and having 25% or less left to get to your destination (or a charger on the way). Those two scenarios feel very different as far as anxiety about getting off that highway.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Certainly in my experience, it doesn't. Also regardless, saying it would likely lose 50% of the battery after 24 hours (assuming linear drain results) that may not feel so bad having 50% left and knowing you can make the trip to the next charger (or home) with range to spare, vs starting at 75% (or lower) and having 25% or less left to get to your destination (or a charger on the way). Those two scenarios feel very different as far as anxiety about getting off that highway.
Well the whole point of the article is that an EV future wouldn't be a catastrophe relative to ICE vehicles and my point is that an ICE vehicle wouldn't somehow have an advantage.

What exactly are you trying to argue?

Fact is that heating the cabin of a car to a survivable temp does not use very much energy relative to the size of the battery and this test shows that to be true IMO.

Sponsored

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S

It's quite the opposite of what you're imagining with an EV. The first 10% drains the fastest due to the need for conditioning of the cabin, battery, and systems. The bottom 15-20% will actually last the longest as all EVs start to conserve energy automatically around that point.

Thankfully they're not putting cellphone batteries in our cars! (which are designed to have very limited lifespans and quickly deteriorating quality for that double combo of being cheap to make and getting you to buy a new phone sooner)

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Well the whole point of the article is that an EV future wouldn't be a catastrophe relative to ICE vehicles and my point is that an ICE vehicle wouldn't somehow have an advantage.

What exactly are you trying to argue?

Fact is that heating the cabin of a car to a survivable temp does not use very much energy relative to the size of the battery and this test shows that to be true IMO.
Not really trying to prove anything beyond the reality that current infrastructure for a gas vehicle at 10% range and an EV at 10% range makes the anxiety of being in one worse than the other - currently, this WILL change, and that's great, but today an in reference to the event that happened recently that's still a reality.

My point is, starting the test at 100% and saying you'll be just fine because he lost 25% in 12 hours so you'd lose 50% in 24 doesn't actually sound quite as positive if you start with meaningfully less than 100% at the point some completely unexpected event happens and you're stuck in your vehicle.

It's also way easier and faster to bring a tanker out and gas up vehicles that ran out, than it would be to bring some kind of battery "tanker" out and charge up and EV that ran dead - if we want to play worst case scenarios, because yeah, if I'm at 1/4 tank of gas and have to idle for 24 hours, I'm probably just as screwed as being at 25% charge. The reality is, even when the infra is there, if you needed to charge up a bunch of vehicles to clear the roadway it would take longer, to get those vehicles to a reasonable state of charge than it would be to pour a few gallons of gas into an ICE vehicle.

I'm here on a Rivian forum waiting for my EV to replace my ICE vehicle, I'm not trying to prove EVs are a threat to humanity and ICE rulezzzzz!!. I'm just trying to say that test was a little idealized and skipped some of the realities of the actual event. This wasn't meant to be a big thing, but now, somehow it is. I've said all I have to say at this point, so, feel free to carry on without me.
Sponsored