Sponsored

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
I wonder if the amount of insurance claims will potentially raise our premium across the board for Rivian drivers.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I wonder if the amount of insurance claims will potentially raise our premium across the board for Rivian drivers.
It will as the data comes in for repair costs they will be able to calculate the risk more accurately. Tesla rates went up each year for the first 5 years or so as the repair cost data started being accumulated.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I got a quote from Farmers, our current insurance 6 days ago; and another today. Quote today is $400 per year higher for the same exact coverage.

Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I've been in four accidents with deer. Two of them at 60mph. The first one wrecked the front end of my '01 Blazer. $4000 worth of damage (a lot, at the time). Insurance paid to fix it. Deer was mid-jump over a barrier on the left side of the road, wound up coming on my hood. Cop said if I'd been driving anything smaller it would've come through the windshield. Someone else had died at the same spot a week earlier. Side of the road (I95 between Baltimore & DC) was littered with dead deer.

After that I got smarter. Brush guards on everything. Second deer at 60mph bounced off the front. Bent one small metal slat of the guard and knocked out a headlight (not the housing, just the bulb itself). Learned my lesson and will never drive anything without a brush guard again. Which means, Rivian or some after-market accessory company needs to get that figured out for these trucks, LOL. 🤣

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
It still baffles me that deer all across the country have such low situational awareness on and near roads.

How do they survive in the wilderness when they can't even sense the danger of a massive object barreling right at them?

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It still baffles me that deer all across the country have such low situational awareness on and near roads. How do they survive in the wilderness when they can't even sense the danger of a massive object barreling right at them?
Ever heard the expression, "like a deer in the headlights?" Unfortunately, these poor creatures are aware of natural surroundings only. A vehicle traveling at such high speed is outside their realm of understanding. I used to hunt a lot. After an incident changed my life; I have a very different perspective for animals and nature.

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
Ever heard the expression, "like a deer in the headlights?"
I can understand how a deer might freeze up when faced with headlights. I can also, somewhat, understand how they might freeze up staring at a car barreling at them. Can't decide which way to jump. But deer running out or jumping right in front of an oncoming vehicle is so odd to me.

But, interesting insight that they're really only aware of their natural surroundings.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I almost crashed my car trying to miss a squirrel. My friend did not have the same luck with his Porsche. He ended up needing surgery for his back from his crash trying to avoid a squirrel. The older I get-the softer I become!
That's unfortunate. My rule has always been that I'll brake for a squirrel in the road if i can do it safely, but im not swerving under any circumstances. If the squirrel doesn't get out of harm's way, then splat and that's that.

Sponsored

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
It still baffles me that deer all across the country have such low situational awareness on and near roads.

How do they survive in the wilderness when they can't even sense the danger of a massive object barreling right at them?
Partly it depends on the time of year. If the rut is on they only care about one thing. (a little booty)

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
@Seth@Lake - How is Farmer's treating you? Any problems? I wouldn't expect any, but just got a quote from them (our current bundle provider) and it seems high.

OP
OP
Seth@Lake

Seth@Lake

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q7
Occupation
Software Sales
@Seth@Lake - How is Farmer's treating you? Any problems? I wouldn't expect any, but just got a quote from them (our current bundle provider) and it seems high.
This is a bundled policy home / auto / umbrella that Farmers bought from MetLife. So far The claim process has been reasonable. Initial estimate I consider to be low - ~$600 of labor + parts they they do not have cost on. I delivered car to certified Rivian Collision center an hour away in Hickory, NC. They appear knowledgeable and competent. The big question is how much will Farmers push back when full scope of work is estimated by repair shop. Will provide updates on forum.

Will also give you my impression on cost when I know - dust still settling on actual policy changes.

The repair shop says that Rivian is much better than Tesla at delivering parts timely. We will see!? They still said to expect a month of total repair time - Major bummer having to go back to a couple year old rode hard rental ICE.

Hungrybrewer

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, R1T
Occupation
Yes
I hit a deer doing 70 (me, not sure speed of deer) in R1S. some body damage, hit front left at charging port. pulled over immediately and noted damage. car seemed driveable, but would not shift out of park. currently at only westside Michigan body shop, Pfieffer Collision in Grand Rapids. will update

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
This is a $22,000 repair.
Sponsored