Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Thread has veered off topic.
It’s these darn electrical engineering types. They just get their math and stuff all over the place. Get a thread, people

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It's illegal in many states to resell electricity unless a specific contract is signed with the power company.
That's why EA, Tesla and other charging networks bill by time in those States instead of by the kWh.

The blue shaded States are by the kWh

Rivian R1T R1S 1-888-RIVIAN1 customer service line opens.... 1603748491580

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
It’s these darn electrical engineering types. That just get their math and stuff all over the place. Get a thread, people
Math involves the manipulation of numbers. I went through the thread and picked up every single (I think) time a number was used. Here they are:

call Rivian at 1-888-RIVIAN-1. open for calls M-F 8-8 CST.
s step 0 in the
for R1T will be next June, and R1S next August. For the R1S it ..whether the R1S will
Destination chargers (240V L2)
chargers to their V3.
Gen 3 HPWC (not to be confused with the V3 SuperCharger) J1772 inlet) Gen 2 . The version of the Gen 3
a J1772 car t

... R1T, R1S and
[/QUOTE]
J1772 as ..charging with L2
The Gen 3's being
But I don't see any manipulation of these numbers. They are just phone numbers, model numbers, generation numbers and, in one case a voltage. Where's the math?

Am I not getting all the posts?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Well where's the math then?

We have a thread here in which someone announced that Rivian now has a phone number. Someone else reported that he called it and was told that Rivians charge with CCS connectors and can't use Tesla chargers. Someone else pointed out that one can in fact use Tesla destination chargers. Someone else chimed in that you couldn't etc. That person was set straight. Where does any of this get into engineering or math and where is it off topic?

Last edited:

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
2+2=5 for very large values of 2.

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

That's why EA, Tesla and other charging networks bill by time in those States instead of by the kWh.

The blue shaded States are by the kWh

1603748491580.png
Seeing as how we are still outside the scope of this original topic, I felt the need to continue the derailment of my own thread. I believe a portion of this is outdated. Florida is $/kWh, for both EA and Tesla. :CWL::like::giggle:

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Oh, AJ. I'm afraid it's not the posts that you're not getting....
Some people just take things too darn seriously, eh? Tsk tsk tsk

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
I called today with about a dozen questions and didn't get a single concrete answer. I'm a terrible sleuth.

Sponsored

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
As I was saying earlier in this thread, it looks like the Teslatap may soon been irrelevant on managers that want payment for you to charge. Since there is no credit card reader and that it is their own platform that they will take payments on, this will seem to then only work on Tesla vehicles as I would think you would need a credit card number on file with Tesla so that you can be billed just like supercharging....
https://electrek.co/2020/11/17/tesla-automatic-payment-chargers-facilitate-apartment-charging-more/

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Tesla manages payment for its SC network. The WiFi capabilities of the Gen3 HPWC are being added in order to let managers of apartment buildings etc. control who uses these stations. Tesla won't be involved unless they offer some sort of management service package. With the Gen2 there is no WiFi control whatsoever and so the only option for a merchant who wants to contril who charges is to have a manual circuit breaker in the office which he flips on if he wants to let someone use the HPWC. I have no idea how the new WiFi control will work but at least, presumably, the manager of a group of chargers will be able to turn them on and off remotely i.e. without having to flip a breaker. I don't, for example, know if the WiFi in the HPWC will report the VIN to the operator for authentification. I don't think there will be any card reader interface, at least at first.

In summary, a Rivian with a Tesla Tap will look no different to a Destination Charger at most businesses (who install them for free to attract customers) than a Tesla. The same will be true for the new system unless it is able to report VIN. This would lock a Rivian out of charging at an apartment complex, for example, as it should.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla manages payment for its SC network. The WiFi capabilities of the Gen3 HPWC are being added in order to let managers of apartment buildings etc. control who uses these stations. Tesla won't be involved unless they offer some sort of management service package. With the Gen2 there is no WiFi control whatsoever and so the only option for a merchant who wants to contril who charges is to have a manual circuit breaker in the office which he flips on if he wants to let someone use the HPWC. I have no idea how the new WiFi control will work but at least, presumably, the manager of a group of chargers will be able to turn them on and off remotely i.e. without having to flip a breaker. I don't, for example, know if the WiFi in the HPWC will report the VIN to the operator for authentification. I don't think there will be any card reader interface, at least at first.

In summary, a Rivian with a Tesla Tap will look no different to a Destination Charger at most businesses (who install them for free to attract customers) than a Tesla. The same will be true for the new system unless it is able to report VIN. This would lock a Rivian out of charging at an apartment complex, for example, as it should.
All of this does not matter. Only point of this story is that a non-Telsa at a destination charger is not a guarantee to work in the future like it does today. End of story.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
All of this does not matter. Only point of this story is that a non-Telsa at a destination charger is not a guarantee to work in the future like it does today. End of story.
This may be true, but the business owner would have to elect to charge a fee to customers for the use of the EVSE, provide the Wi-Fi, pay a monthly account fee and a percentage of the revenue for handling the transactions and billing. Makes sense for an apartment complex, not for a hotel/B&B/restaurant. Those locations are likely happy to give you a couple of bucks worth of electricity as long as you patronize their business.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This may be true, but the business owner would have to elect to charge a fee to customers for the use of the EVSE, provide the Wi-Fi, pay a monthly account fee and a percentage of the revenue for handling the transactions and billing. Makes sense for an apartment complex, not for a hotel/B&B/restaurant. Those locations are likely happy to give you a couple of bucks worth of electricity as long as you patronize their business.
Again, I will say that the Tesla tap is not a guarantee anymore in the future when you look on plugshare and see a tesla destination charger. We can go into hypotheticals as well as why a business owner may or may not want to charge to bring in more business.

I can argue the fact that there may be a destination charger in a business next to your hotel you are staying overnight in a small town that this is the only charger, or the only one close enough for it to be convenient. While you may not be patronizing the business, you can charge, and this happens. So I business may turn off the charger when they are closed normally, but being that they are EV friendly won't now mind to leave it on all the time if it does not cost them extra $$$ for someone that is not spending money at their business. The reason for / against are lots.

My statement stands that destination charging with a non-Telsa EV in the future will not be the same as it is today.
Sponsored