First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Browsing www.rivian.com looking for any new info...whatever I may find, and I see now that besides being able to e-mail Rivian, you can now call Rivian at 1-888-RIVIAN-1. Call now before the phone lines get crazy! They are currently open for calls M-F 8-8 CST.
Sponsored

Last edited:

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Hopefully the phone number is step 0 in the configurator going live soon :) I'm assuming they'll want to be able to have reservation holders have their questions answered before committing.

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Most of my questions were answered with the standard Rivian talking points, but it is headed in the right direction. We have actual people to talk to now. I have already called twice...Both Rivian reps were very nice and just as excited as I was. Making progress.

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

They also stated that once we 'finalize" our build, IF new options, factory-installed accessories, or Rivian accessories come available, we can edit our build up until a final go-no-go date which we should have knowledge of once we spec out our original build.

Athena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
They also stated that once we 'finalize" our build, IF new options, factory-installed accessories, or Rivian accessories come available, we can edit our build up until a final go-no-go date which we should have knowledge of once we spec out our original build.
I got the same information for the most part. Very nice person. He did tell me deliveries for R1T will be next June, and R1S next August. He did say the Rivian will use CCS connectors and we will not be able to charge the vehicle at Tesla charging stations. No word on infotainment system capabilities yet (i.e. Alexa, Sirius/XM. etc.) For the R1S it will have a two piece composite retractable roof. Color options have not been confirmed yet. He is going to email me about whether the R1S will have the flashlight in the door.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
He did say the Rivian will use CCS connectors and we will not be able to charge the vehicle at Tesla charging stations.
The Rivian will not be able to charge at Tesla Suuperchargers, but will be able to charge at Tesla Destination chargers (240V L2) with an adapter such as the Tesla Tap. These were (are?) provided free by Tesla to hotels, B&B's, restaurants, etc.
They were often provided with Clipper Creek EVSE's as well, and worth looking for for free overnight charging on a road trip. You can filter for them with Plugshare.

zmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
The Rivian will not be able to charge at Tesla Suuperchargers, but will be able to charge at Tesla Destination chargers (240V L2) with an adapter such as the Tesla Tap. These were (are?) provided free by Tesla to hotels, B&B's, restaurants, etc.
They were often provided with Clipper Creek EVSE's as well, and worth looking for for free overnight charging on a road trip. You can filter for them with Plugshare.
I got one thing to say, tesla can get f**** with its proprietary connector.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
I am hoping that will still be the case soon. Tesla is updating it's HPWC on destination chargers to their V3. With that there will be more connectivity. I know they were saying that this way the owner of a destination charger will be able to charge for the electricity. I wonder if they will also lock out non-tesla vehicles.....

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I am hoping that will still be the case soon. Tesla is updating it's HPWC on destination chargers to their V3. With that there will be more connectivity. I know they were saying that this way the owner of a destination charger will be able to charge for the electricity. I wonder if they will also lock out non-tesla vehicles.....
They have been selling the Gen 3 HPWC (not to be confused with the V3 SuperCharger) for some time now. I'm not exactly sure what "more connectivity" means but the connector is the same. It will be able to be used with the TeslaTap to charge a Rivian (or any EV with a J1772 inlet) jusr as was the case with the Gen 2 . The version of the Gen 3 they have been selling had limitied WiFi capability compared to what they promised would eventually be available. I don't know how far they have progressed in that dimension to date. What they were promising seemed to be designed for an apartment building, condo or perhaps a convenience store where multiple HPWC are installed. The manager will have the flexibility to portion out the charging load. It is conceivable that he can also remotely enable and disable certain stations though I don't remember that specific function being discussed. I also don't know about interfacing with credit card readers. Some states are now requiring that any public charging station be equipped with a credit card reader.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Just to be clear on this it is the destination charger that is (or was - I don't know if they are still doing this either) provided to proprietors, not the Tesla Taps. If you plan to use Tesla Destination Chargers don't count on the business to provide you with a Tesla Tap. I've already got mine in anticipation (and for any guest with a J1772 car that needs to pick up a couple of kWh chez moi).

But as we are on the subject I think the destination chargers are going to prove pretty useless to drivers of higher consumption vehicles such as the R1T, R1S andthe CTs (unless, of course, you are some place like Fogo Island). In a certain region around here a passenger expressing concern about SoC doesn't really have anything to do with SoC but rather relates to the fact that the Coaticook dairy with its fantastic ice cream (and destination charger) isn't too far away, Thus it does what the merchant hopes it will do but doesn't, in the time it takes to eat an ice cream cone, add appreciable range to an X.

Last edited:

Sponsored

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It will be able to be used with the TeslaTap to charge a Rivian (or any EV with a J1772 inlet) jusr as was the case with the Gen 2 .
That is a speculation. What if the HPWC now communicates with Tesla and does a handshake to say this isn't a Tesla car, do not charge? As the destination charger was basically a way for Tesla to make it more convenient for Tesla owners, then shutting out other cars can be an option. When HPWC came out there were not as many EVs out there. And being that Tesla pays for the HPWC and in most cases the installation cost I can totally see this happening. And yes, I know now the Tesla Tap works, but that is not a guarantee in the future.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
That is a speculation. What if the HPWC now communicates with Tesla and does a handshake to say this isn't a Tesla car, do not charge? As the destination charger was basically a way for Tesla to make it more convenient for Tesla owners, then shutting out other cars can be an option. When HPWC came out there were not as many EVs out there. And being that Tesla pays for the HPWC and in most cases the installation cost I can totally see this happening. And yes, I know now the Tesla Tap works, but that is not a guarantee in the future.
Tesla provided the units, often with one Clipper Creek J1772 as well, to the business. They are no longer Tesla property and Tesla has no control over them or how they are used. Some businesses have made them available for anyone to use, others have restricted them to "customers only". This is totally out of Teslas control. The business owner pays for the electricity and any maintenance required.
I suppose a business owner could request that Tesla block non-Tesla vehicles from using them, but not sure why that would benefit them.

And as AJ said, charging with L2 for the time it take to eat/snack will not add any appreciable range. But the motels and B&B's where you can charge overnight will add a chunk, and I know people that seek these establishments out when traveling.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
That is a speculation.
I think it's a bit more than that.

It says this on the product website.

The adapter has a special circuit that allows it to work on any current Tesla charger including Destination Chargers.

What if the HPWC now communicates with Tesla and does a handshake to say this isn't a Tesla car, do not charge?
Were that the case then it wouldn't work. The Gen 3's being sold now (or when I last checked) don't communicate with Tesla. Other than downloading firmware why would they?

As the destination charger was basically a way for Tesla to make it more convenient for Tesla owners, then shutting out other cars can be an option. When HPWC came out there were not as many EVs out there.
The charging network, SC and Destination, were marketing ploys and very effective ones too.

And being that Tesla pays for the HPWC and in most cases the installation cost I can totally see this happening.
You can? Allowing another brand to use your Destination charger costs you (Tesla) nothing and exposes him to your brand. Free advertising paid for by the merchant!

And yes, I know now the Tesla Tap works, but that is not a guarantee in the future.
True. I heard a rumor that Elon will shut down the SC network if the election doesn't go the way he wants.

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla provided the units, often with one Clipper Creek J1772 as well, to the business. They are no longer Tesla property and Tesla has no control over them or how they are used. Some businesses have made them available for anyone to use, others have restricted them to "customers only". This is totally out of Teslas control. The business owner pays for the electricity and any maintenance required.
I suppose a business owner could request that Tesla block non-Tesla vehicles from using them, but not sure why that would benefit them.

And as AJ said, charging with L2 for the time it take to eat/snack will not add any appreciable range. But the motels and B&B's where you can charge overnight will add a chunk, and I know people that seek these establishments out when traveling.
That's great to know. I was unaware of that.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
It's illegal in many states to resell electricity unless a specific contract is signed with the power company.
Sponsored