$1,075 delivery charge

OP
OP

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I recently finished installing a solar panel system which produces a lot less power than yours. I did it because I wanted to see how I would be able to use the electricity. I am retired and have enough savings so that I haven't been concerned about whether it was worth it. I did it as a hobby because I wanted to see what I could do.
My system generates an average of about 1000 watts a day which is enough to charge an electric vehicle in a few days. I don't drive much so I'm hoping to be able to do most of my driving using solar energy.
Do you mean 1000WHr? That’s only enough to go about 2 miles. Do you drive less than 2 miles a day?
Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Did you install your own solar here? Were you able to get it cash positive in a reasonable timeframe? I can't seem to get it to make sense without looking out to about 15 years.
I did solar about 8 years ago. Paid for itself in about 5 years. I have since added 2x Powerwalls and want to add additional solar. The Powerwalls will never pay for themselves, but it’s nice to have

Mark K

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Volt
Occupation
Retired
Do you mean 1000WHr? That’s only enough to go about 2 miles. Do you drive less than 2 miles a day?
You're right, I wasn't paying attention when I typed that. The meter reads about one KWHr per day on the average.
I drive less than 1000 miles a year because I run many of my errands by bicycle. I hope to be able to cover most of the driving energy cost with solar. I haven't had the system running long enough to find out whether that will be feasible.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I did solar about 8 years ago. Paid for itself in about 5 years. I have since added 2x Powerwalls and want to add additional solar. The Powerwalls will never pay for themselves, but it’s nice to have
I was asking Temarius since he's also on Seattle. I think you're in CA, right? The cloud cover and short days in the winter just destroy solar for about 8 months a year.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I was asking Temarius since he's also on Seattle. I think you're in CA, right? The cloud cover and short days in the winter just destroy solar for about 8 months a year.
Yeah, I’m in SoCal. Definitely a difference between here and there! ?

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, I’m in SoCal. Definitely a difference between here and there! ?
I apparently need to install a hydroelectric dam in my backyard instead.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I apparently need to install a hydroelectric dam in my backyard instead.
Hmm, that would never pay off for me! If you could harness crappy weather, you will never pay for electricity again!

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Did you install your own solar here? Were you able to get it cash positive in a reasonable timeframe? I can't seem to get it to make sense without looking out to about 15 years.
I'm taking the plunge...starting install next month.

Current estimated break even is 13 years with the federal tax credit, assuming 4% increase in electricity rates a year. If I would have DYIed it, would have been about 8 years. But I've got an asphalt roof and didn't want to deal with missing a stud...
If I had standing metal seam, would have done it myself.
Before the production credits ran out in 2019, people were seeing breakeven periods of 4-5 years through a solar company and half that if DYI.

Like @Temerarius, if I was moving into a new place that I knew I'd be there for 10 years+, I'm pretty sure I'd do it again. I also, agree that who ever I sell to will see the benefits...that said, there's a rumor that my neighborhood is being upzoned from single family to multi due to the proximity to a new light rail station. So, if I was rational I should try to get out of my contract because who knows when a developer may come in and make an offer....

I'm on SCL power, so 90% hydropower, so even arguing the environmental plus doesn't necessarily make sense. I think PSE is only 70% hydro/renewable.

For whatever it is worth, in the Seattle area, the general rule of thumb is that if you have good sun exposure your yearly production rate should be equal to your installed size (e.g. 10kW system should generate 10kWh a year).
Sponsored

Last edited: