Sponsored

Electronaut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4
Press Release: https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/204

TravelCenters of America Enters Agreement with Electrify America to Expand Electric Vehicle Infrastructure
Rivian R1T R1S 1,000 Electrify America Chargers Coming to 200 TA Rest Stops Across the U.S. Small-959-TravelCentersofAmericaEntersAgreementwithElectrifyAmericatoExpandElectricVehicleInfr

TA and Electrify America Have Goal to Install DC Fast Chargers Nationwide to Meet Needs of EV Drivers

WESTLAKE, Ohio – January 30, 2023 – TravelCenters of America Inc. (Nasdaq: TA), the nation’s largest publicly-traded full-service travel center network, announced today an agreement with Electrify America to offer electric vehicle charging at select TA/Petro locations with the first stations planned to be deployed in 2023. Electrify America is the largest open direct current fast-charging network in the U.S.

With a goal of installing approximately 1,000 individual chargers at 200 locations along major highways over five years, TA will purchase Electrify America’s DC (Direct Current) fast chargers. Electrify America will install, operate and maintain the charging stations at TA/Petro locations, through its Electrify Commercial business unit. Electrify America will manage the entire process to design and develop the charging stations – obtaining permitting approvals, provide warranty and 24/7 support services, and conduct onsite maintenance. TA will be included on the Electrify America charging network, allowing customers to access and pay for charging through the Electrify America app.

The network of charging stations will be open to almost all brands of EV vehicles and can deliver up to 350 kW to capable vehicles – some of the fastest charging speeds commercially available. The new charging stations help to provide range confidence to EV motorists traveling long distances by expanding access to hyper-fast charging, exemplifying TA’s commitment to providing accessible and reliable chargers to allow EV motorists stay on the go.

“TA’s large locations with expansive amenities are attractive to EV motorists and we are committed to expanding our EV charging infrastructure to accommodate this growing number of EV drivers over time,” said Jon Pertchik, Chief Executive Officer of TravelCenters of America. “Our agreement with best-in-class Electrify America provides an unmatched offering of excellence in locations, service, support.”

“Electrify America is pleased to collaborate with an industry leader like TravelCenters of America to provide the critical infrastructure needed for EV drivers of today and tomorrow,” said Giovanni Palazzo, President and Chief Executive Officer of Electrify America. “Our combined strengths allow us to take bigger steps toward our shared vision of a more sustainable future.”

Electrify Commercial - the business unit from Electrify America designed to deliver turnkey EV charging solutions to businesses, utility companies, fleet owners, travel centers and convenience stores – is developing EV charging programs tailored to fit customers’ individual needs. Electrify Commercial presents a unique opportunity for businesses like TravelCenters of America to own their own charging stations while leveraging Electrify America’s experience building the largest open, DC-fast charging network in the U.S.

TA’s site amenities and Electrify America’s robust abilities offer unique solutions to EV drivers, including convenient locations along major highways and close to exits, access to Wi-Fi at TA locations, modern restrooms, hyper-fast charging speeds up to 350 kW for capable vehicles, seamless Plug & Charge payment technology, and operations backed by 24/7 customer support and a 24/7 network operations center.

Together, TA and Electrify America are dedicated to meeting the evolving needs of motorists and are charging toward a more sustainable future.

About TravelCenters of America
TravelCenters of America Inc. (Nasdaq: TA) is the nation's largest publicly traded full-service travel center network. Founded in 1972 and headquartered in Westlake, Ohio, its over 18,000 team members serve guests in 281 locations in 44 states, principally under the TA®, Petro Stopping Centers® and TA Express® brands. Offerings include diesel and gasoline fuel, truck maintenance and repair, full-service and quick-service restaurants, travel stores, car and truck parking and other services dedicated to providing great experiences for its guests. TA is committed to sustainability, with its specialized business unit, eTA, focused on sustainable energy options for professional drivers and motorists. TA operates over 600 full-service and quick-service restaurants and nine proprietary brands, including Iron Skillet® and Country Pride®. For more information, visit www.ta-petro.com.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

They should work on improving what they already have instead of rolling out more of the “new new” that’ll soon be “broke broke” like a freaking McDonalds ice cream machine 🤣💀
Hater!

Seriously though IMO this is great news. They have expanded so fast, more options insulates us all from broken equipment. EA should already be commended for installing redundancy at charging locations so if a station or two break we can still charge, no other CCS network consistently has done that. Even more they have already started replacing old equipment (that probably still had life remaining) with newer generation chargers. EA shouldn’t be held responsible to build out the entire CCS network in the US alone and they can both update/improve existing sites and partner with others to grow the network at the same time.

Also these are great places to add charging infrastructure, most of these should be open 24 hours which means access to bathrooms, snacks etc. Really sick of needing a 16oz gatorade bottle in the front trunk.

Last edited:

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
+2 great news. Looks like two TA centers in mid-Montana, a handful in Wyoming, and one in ID. We’ll take it!

TA is no Buckey’s, but I can do without the extra calories.

Cue the EA hysterics.

Hopefully, ChargePoint gets involved in similar ventures.

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

They should work on improving what they already have instead of rolling out more of the “new new” that’ll soon be “broke broke” like a freaking McDonalds ice cream machine 🤣💀
The ice cream machine situation drives me crazy.

I think these chargers are a great sign of EVs becoming mainstream and charging more reliable. This is the first innovative thing done by TA since they installed showers at rest stops. The fact that a slow moving giant sees the change that is coming, means it’s right in their face yelling at them. Another point is that these will be owned by TA. I doubt they are going to be okay with chargers out of service, as they are paying for them and they are taking up valuable real estate at the rest stops. I have never seen a gas pump out of service at a TA, so hopefully that carries over to the chargers. If this proves to be the case, I will use them exclusively for my yearly CO to New England road trip. We could use the reliability, until the RAN really takes off (or doesn’t and we always have the need)

Sponsored

Alchemy8279

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Mazda MX-5
Occupation
Middle Management
I’m sure this expansion will tap into all the federal funds sent to states for the chargers every 50 miles initiative. Whatever it takes though.

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
I'm surprised it's taken this long for businesses to figure out that a bunch of rich EV drivers need a place to kill 30 minutes with their disposable income. Hopefully more to come. And with trailer stalls.

Test Name

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
HR
+2 great news. Looks like two TA centers in mid-Montana, a handful in Wyoming, and one in ID. We’ll take it!

Cue the EA hysterics.

Agree, but there are no Buckey's with charging stations that I am aware of. Nor are there any Buckey's on 287 running north to Amarillo. If they put a few charging stations at TA centers on that route heading to New Mexico and Colorado, this will be a huge win for us in DFW.

RivianR1TinSFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Are you always this negative?

This is actually great news for people with EVs.

Sponsored

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
At least there will be food & drink available as I sit and wait on all the ID4 owners who are plugged in to the 350 KW chargers at 85% SOC and waiting for it to go to 100%.

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Are you always this negative?

This is actually great news for people with EVs.
this negative 😂? this was nothing more than a lighthearted jab 💀 it’s a known FACT that EA chargers (at least with Rivian) are very unreliable and often times don’t work. So much so that people will sometimes skip them altogether.

I was simply stating that instead of a new roll out that that they should pour money into EXISTING infrastructure. As current/future EV owners it does us zero good if half the new AND the old chargers are broken when the time comes vs. old ones that work now and new ones that work later.

mathlawguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
professor

Cue the EA hysterics.

Agree, but the Texas spelling police offer a friendly amendment that it is Bucc-ee's. And it would be fantastic if Bucc-ee's (which has super clean rest rooms and good food) added chargers to its stations.

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Agree.
Work on the existing infrastructure and get that right first. The whole CCS DCFC rollout has been a disaster and an embarrassment. Start expanding when you have the bugs worked out and profits figured out.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I'm surprised it's taken this long for businesses to figure out that a bunch of rich EV drivers need a place to kill 30 minutes with their disposable income. Hopefully more to come. And with trailer stalls.
I always thought it would be genius for Starbucks to have chargers. They are everywhere and I think the perfect target audience for EVs and charging. They were way ahead of the game on free wifi, figured they would do the charging too.
Sponsored