First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Dash cam continuous recording with built-in cameras while driving?
I actually asked RJ about this when I was at the first drive event and he told me it was, I’m not sure if it’s buried in the monitoring system. I basically asked him if it was equivalent to sentry mode and he said yes, OP can confirm though
Sponsored

Last edited:

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
If you can get this thing down to 10%, find a 350kw EA charger that works, and just cell phone video upload the entire charging session and upload it to YouTube, someone else will take care of making all the curves :)

OP
OP
Iwantatesla

Iwantatesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla X Plaid, 2004 s2000, Huracan Evo, +

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Dash cam continuous recording with built-in cameras while driving?
Asked CS and was told that it was possible, then got an email shortly after saying

" I wanted to follow up on our chat earlier, as I misinterpreted the information I had access to. I wanted to specify that you can enable recording for our Gear Guard feature. However, recording is triggered when the monitoring camera detects the presence of people near the exterior of the vehicle. All cameras record video for a limited duration. At the moment, recording while driving is not a feature, however, we have received many inquiries on this and I will be passing this along to the team."

Sponsored

747 Whalewatcher

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S and Mercedes 450GLS
Occupation
Airline Operations
Capture.PNG
Would be a major miss in my mind if there is no "Wham-Bam-Rivian-Cam" built into this. At least I know where my aftermarket dash cam will plug into.
I confirmed and posted here that the capability was absent when they brought the R1T to my house last month for my first mile drive. A HUGE missed oppotunity and oversight in MHO. I am convinced that constant recoding will become mandatory for all vehicles in the not so distant future....but for Rivian to have the full onboard capability, with 11 cameras and not have it available at launch was really disappointing. It's one of the most valuable features Teslas have and can save your ass if you're involved in a routine traffic accident (I shudder to think about it with a new R1T). The Rivian rep that demo'd the truck with me did imply that this was something that was on their radar and already in the works, but who's to say when. After all this waiting I'll still want to install an aftermarket dashcam... what a shame.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Not just Rivian, but I find this whole thing about not recording while driving to be really irksome. I've asked Ford for several years about this and when you talk up the chain high enough you finally get some answers. None of which make sense other than they're trying to find a way to build it into cloud services and monetize it and there seems to be some real back-pressure from certain legislatures and insurance industry segments regarding the feature. Lots of people not liking that they record all the time, many equating it to "big brother" surveillance tactics. Even seeing apartment/condo and garage property owners telling tenants their Teslas are not allowed to record while parked on-site.

For me, I'll have front and rear cameras recording at all times, integrated or not. I've been running dash cams in all my vehicles since 2016. For just my personal vehicles, dash cams have proven invaluable...

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I confirmed and posted here that the capability was absent when they brought the R1T to my house last month for my first mile drive. A HUGE missed oppotunity and oversight in MHO. I am convinced that constant recoding will become mandatory for all vehicles in the not so distant future....but for Rivian to have the full onboard capability, with 11 cameras and not have it available at launch was really disappointing. It's one of the most valuable features Teslas have and can save your ass if you're involved in a routine traffic accident (I shudder to think about it with a new R1T). The Rivian rep that demo'd the truck with me did imply that this was something that was on their radar and already in the works, but who's to say when. After all this waiting I'll still want to install an aftermarket dashcam... what a shame.
I would like the feature, for sure, but how many years did Tesla cars have all of their cameras but not let you record anything at all? There are some other priorities in their programming queue, I'm sure.

Reactions: Guy

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Not just Rivian, but I find this whole thing about not recording while driving to be really irksome. I've asked Ford for several years about this and when you talk up the chain high enough you finally get some answers. None of which make sense other than they're trying to find a way to build it into cloud services and monetize it and there seems to be some real back-pressure from certain legislatures and insurance industry segments regarding the feature. Lots of people not liking that they record all the time, many equating it to "big brother" surveillance tactics. Even seeing apartment/condo and garage property owners telling tenants their Teslas are not allowed to record while parked on-site.

For me, I'll have front and rear cameras recording at all times, integrated or not. I've been running dash cams in all my vehicles since 2016. For just my personal vehicles, dash cams have proven invaluable...
Will be interesting for secure facilities. For instance it is against our policy to photograph badges. Badges are required to be visible while on site, if the vehicle is always recording, the vehicle will be recording badges.

I never did check with security when Teslas started popping up on site.

747 Whalewatcher

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Airline Operations
I would like the feature, for sure, but how many years did Tesla cars have all of their cameras but not let you record anything at all? There are some other priorities in their programming queue, I'm sure.
Can't say I agree. "Tank Turn"...who cares about that, but Rivian has had plenty of time with all the delays and the benefit of Tesla paving the way well ahead of them. It just puts them further behind the curve and they miss out on invaluable camera footage, customer protection, and analysis as accidents and incidents occur. Just watch the YT Channel "Wham Bam Tesla Cam" and there is no denying driving without Dashcam capability puts you in the stone age.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Just watch the YT Channel "Wham Bam Tesla Cam" and there is no denying driving without Dashcam capability puts you in the stone age.
I would venture to say >99% of cars on the road are driving without a dash cam. It's absurd to suggest that someone without a dash cam is driving in the Stone Age.

747 Whalewatcher

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Airline Operations
I would venture to say >99% of cars on the road are driving without a dash cam. It's absurd to suggest that someone without a dash cam is driving in the Stone Age.
It is just my opinion (and priority) of course...and certainly far from absurd... what is absurd to me is to have 11 onboard cameras and the full capability, but not use them and record. It is more valuable to me than Gear Gaurd mode. Just look at the sheer number of incidents where drivers deny responsibility and Tesla-cam reveals the truth. Just like backup cameras, I believe it will become mandatory one day.

Gabe1aron

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
El Cap Granite. Can’t believe it’s real!

Not an employee! (Though I wish I was) not sure what direct ties means. My wife’s boyfriend works there. Jk. I’m an average dude :)

Some Q&A compiled:

Man these are tricky and I’ll say mainly due to the driving modes and suspension. On a truck this large the ride height will materially affect highway range. I’ll have to see. I haven’t had it long enough to drive it anywhere significant yet.

I’ll need to find a CCS charger lol

I’ll get back to you on that. Im sure there is since there’s an open button inside.

Pretty darn good build quality. I’ve never really had any issues with my Tesla’s but my plaid’s gaps are even and tight. This too. We’ll see what squeaks or rattles I find as I drive it more (hopefully I won’t).

It was VERY smooth. We’ll see how it goes with scale and volume. But basically the web portal offered 8 steps. In addition, my Rivian Guide was AWESOME.

One of the big things that I was worried about was insurance (since it’s new and such). Rivian offers their own. My guide answered everything for me. Delivery process will vary by state but they made sure my questions were addressed (I was wondering where I should put in the USB C drive for Gear Guard).

Yes there was some wet signing involved but this will vary by state. My delivery person was a notary and I had to do some things with that.

No need to change your underwear if you don’t wear any HEYO

I do not. Have geico and it ended up being $10 more a month than my Y

2 keycards, 1 keyfob, 1 bracelet. What’s cool is your spouse can create their own account and link the car! Tesla needs to do this.

Phone works fine just need to make sure the Bluetooth is on.

Pretty good! Not quite Tesla yet but better than other OEMs. Clear enough to serve its purpose. I see what people are saying about the cameras. It’s more like 720p we aren’t quite there yet for full HD :)

From my First Mile Drive to now, the Sound system improved SIGNIFICANTLY. Haven’t had enough seat time yet for other stuff

Significant improvements. Camera quality improved but it has more runway but at least it’s usable with minimal effort.

Audio UI significantly improved.

There was a slight lag when I was trying to export gear guard clips but I suspect it was due to it loading clip previews

I can't seem to find the air pressure status... perhaps in a future update. I'll have to dig in the Owners Manual.

I didn't ask about Rivian Membership and yes I am incredibly fortunate.

They did not.

Build quality is good. Everything works as it should. This is going to be weird to say but the thrust from this feels like it’s coming from a Bentley w12

Just like a 3/Y except the scroll wheels only go 2 directions not 4. If you are doing something like that set up 2 different profiles to flip between

it’s fine. I promise you’ll get over it. Alexa is surprisingly responsive

It’s worth the wait! The longer you wait the better it gets as it gives Rivian time to fine tune software and such. I’m surprised I like driving it with soft suspension settings. Stiff feels a bit weird to me.

Sound quality is pretty good. I haven't gotten an update yet but I am sure there are plenty to come.
Lag when you are on 3d maps because it takes a second for the map to buffer/load. With that said I switched it to 2d map (which I prefer) and it works GREAT.

1. Quick enough for me not to time it? With the backup cam this good you’ll find yourself parking rear in
2. Yes it stays to what you last set for the profile

I think rates were 3.49%. I ended up paying cash. I'll wait to do any "fun" stuff to it.

It is. I can precondition. Haven't charged yet as I need to run this thing down! No windows or gear guard yet.

Using an Enel X juice box Flex. My utility provides rewards and special offpeak rates for data. Also have a Tesla HPWC.

Nope.

I was told yes but I haven’t been able to find the clips yet. Only parked ones.

f0ghfnbjr0581.jpg

44a7wnbjr0581.jpg

bbx0robjr0581.jpg

3w3aztbjr0581.jpg

UPDATES:

Quick front overview and charger

Gear tunnel cover has PPF!

2rs2jranq4581.jpg

Cup test and Audio EQ

iw9bwh66m4581.jpg

2y6tvh66m4581.jpg

enb57j66m4581.jpg

Tonneau Cover Operation

Bottle test - using a S’well

hk09g7nha5581.jpg

Some details for you guys.

projector for the rivian logo is built into the side mirror

35c77d27-b363-46bf-853a-b5b253828a97-jpeg.jpg

Dash UI is nice as the proximity is nice and clear though I wish it told you inches like Tesla does. Bottom right is quite cool it shows you drive mode and suspension height.

e538e7c0-cb67-4d06-aa29-e275708b8b43-jpeg.jpg

For those curious.

396145db-cf78-497c-9421-2c756d210105-jpeg.jpg

Tried out Driver+ tonight

0F403980-4547-4101-9B4F-CCA5748B5369.jpeg

Somebody asked for a under body pic.

Also decided to take the flashlight apart

bce09cfb-af45-4fe2-a95d-5ca089011698-jpeg.jpg

2bd4d4a3-68b1-40fa-a5ed-45a4f8af84a8-jpeg.jpg

Ambient lights. There are 3 levels of brightness, this is max.

b9b62de5-6c89-4d84-8d57-069382fdf38e-jpeg.jpg

9844e3b1-ebaf-41af-98fd-5e42c601cab0-jpeg.jpg
Hi,
I saw that you were coming from driving a Model Y. I too have a Y and plan to sell the Y to buy the R1t. I’m a little apprehensive, not because I doubt that the R1t is a great vehicle, but because I really like the Y and worry that I’ll be missing out on some of the things that I love about the Tesla. But mostly that I’ll take a hit on the range and lose the very reliable and consistent supercharger network. I’m interested in the R1t because my lifestyle will really benefit from having a pickup truck- I live in Oregon and spend a fair amount of time in the outdoors mountainbiking, snowboarding and some comping. So I think it’s a good choice. Hopefully the EA network will continue to expand and be reliable, the RAN will develop at a good clip, and maybe Tesla will open their SC network to other EV’s as they have stated.
My questions for you, coming from a Tesla are: How is the range compared to your Model Y? Stated range and real-world range and 2 different things for EV’s. What has your experience been switching And which wheel/tires did you get? How is the comfort inside compared to the Y? User interface? Have you used EA or other 3rd party fast chargers and how do they compare to Tesla’s SC network? What do you miss since switching to the Rivian compared to your Tesla? What do you not miss? Any other tips are welcome
thanks

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Hi,
I saw that you were coming from driving a Model Y. I too have a Y and plan to sell the Y to buy the R1t. I’m a little apprehensive, not because I doubt that the R1t is a great vehicle, but because I really like the Y and worry that I’ll be missing out on some of the things that I love about the Tesla. But mostly that I’ll take a hit on the range and lose the very reliable and consistent supercharger network. I’m interested in the R1t because my lifestyle will really benefit from having a pickup truck- I live in Oregon and spend a fair amount of time in the outdoors mountainbiking, snowboarding and some comping. So I think it’s a good choice. Hopefully the EA network will continue to expand and be reliable, the RAN will develop at a good clip, and maybe Tesla will open their SC network to other EV’s as they have stated.
My questions for you, coming from a Tesla are: How is the range compared to your Model Y? Stated range and real-world range and 2 different things for EV’s. What has your experience been switching And which wheel/tires did you get? How is the comfort inside compared to the Y? User interface? Have you used EA or other 3rd party fast chargers and how do they compare to Tesla’s SC network? What do you miss since switching to the Rivian compared to your Tesla? What do you not miss? Any other tips are welcome
thanks
Jumping in here, I've found EA to be pretty reliable in the PNW. The east coast seems to have more issues, likely because of the chargers they deployed over there.

Gabe1aron

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
Jumping in here, I've found EA to be pretty reliable in the PNW. The east coast seems to have more issues, likely because of the chargers they deployed over there.
That’s good to hear. I drive to Yakima and Kennewick a few times a year and usually stop in The Dalles or Hood River to Supercharge on the way. The stop is typically for about 20 minutes to ”top up” then on my way. I’m hoping that will be similar with EA. Other than that, I drive to Bend and Seattle every other month as well. Doing it in the Tesla is so easy and comfortable. I hope it will be the same in the R1t. Otherwise, I’m very excited to be able to go off the beaten path on the R1t like never before.
Sponsored