Sponsored

? Cybertruck spied with new side mirrors, rear wheel steering, turning radius!

Electric Rivilution

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D
Last edited:

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
I just... don't get it. Different strokes I guess - it's what makes the world go round.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I just... don't get it. Different strokes I guess - it's what makes the world go round.
Yep. I expect CT owners to have a heavy overlap with people named "Chad".

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Bakersfield predicted to be cybertruck capital of the world!

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Rear wheel steering is pretty neat. Also, probably the reason the old pricing just disappeared. I wonder if they also went to motor per wheel or if this is Tesla's answer to that.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
You all should check out the Tesla Reddit. They had a lovely panic attack over the spec going from 500+ to 500 miles. Tty entertaining. Blaming it on the mirrors.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
You all should check out the Tesla Reddit. They had a lovely panic attack over the spec going from 500+ to 500 miles. Tty entertaining. Blaming it on the mirrors.
Why? Cuz it won't beat Lucid now?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
The mirrors will definitely cause a hit to the range. I will be surprised if there aren't other factors that will come into play as well though. The whole prototype still feels like a giant prank to me.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Rear wheel steering is pretty neat. Also, probably the reason the old pricing just disappeared. I wonder if they also went to motor per wheel or if this is Tesla's answer to that.
If it's true four-wheel steering that allows a tighter turning radius, that makes sense to me. This is especially true when compared to the Hummer's "crab walk". Every time I see the demonstration of the Hummer moving sideways, I can never quite figure out why that's an advantage over what we appear to see here with the Tesla.

Four-wheel steering seems like a wonderfully useful feature. The crab walk seems like an outstanding party trick, but nothing more. Am I missing something?

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
If it's true four-wheel steering that allows a tighter turning radius, that makes sense to me. This is especially true when compared to the Hummer's "crab walk". Every time I see the demonstration of the Hummer moving sideways, I can never quite figure out why that's an advantage over what we appear to see here with the Tesla.

Four-wheel steering seems like a wonderfully useful feature. The crab walk seems like an outstanding party trick, but nothing more. Am I missing something?
Just to clarify, the Hummer *also* has true 4-wheel steering, for incredibly tight turning radius. Their engineer said 10 degree turning from rear wheels. And it degree to which they turn decreases with speed, until 40 mph at which point they turn it off.

They cover it all pretty well at the drive event they held at the proving grounds, looks like they had a bunch of reporters there for first drives. This is one of them, but there were others, and they all cover pretty much the same basics.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
As someone who owns a Tesla currently and has a CT reservation, I will still be shocked if this ever goes into production.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Why? Cuz it won't beat Lucid now?
apparently 500 vs 500+ is going to massively change the performance. *shrug*

The mirrors will definitely cause a hit to the range. I will be surprised if there aren't other factors that will come into play as well though. The whole prototype still feels like a giant prank to me.
agreed.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Just to clarify, the Hummer *also* has true 4-wheel steering, for incredibly tight turning radius. Their engineer said 10 degree turning from rear wheels. And it degree to which they turn decreases with speed, until 40 mph at which point they turn it off.

They cover it all pretty well at the drive event they held at the proving grounds, looks like they had a bunch of reporters there for first drives. This is one of them, but there were others, and they all cover pretty much the same basics.

koersontap

Thanks for the video and the education! All I had seen to date (with my limited interest in the Hummer) was that characteristic "Crab Walk". It seems to be featured everywhere.

It makes perfect sense that they would *also* give it four-wheel steering, but it still makes me wonder about the true utility of the Crab Walk. If you can steer tightly around something, swinging the back end out to circle the obstacle, what's the use of going sideways, other than a party trick? And yes, for the Tesla fans out there, I'm not sure I'll ever need or utilize the Tank-Turn feature once it shows up, but I still see the utility of a u-turn. I don't for the Crab Walk.

Thanks again for enlightening me!
Sponsored