Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Is it just me or does my app home screen look slightly different today?
Not just you, I'm getting the new greeting as well. Also noted an app update was pushed yesterday (for Android).
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Not just you, I'm getting the new greeting as well. Also noted an app update was pushed yesterday (for Android).
Yep just checked and there was an update available, after update mine says the same now.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Level 2 chargers are pretty useless for anything except overnight charging at home or at a hotel that has a lot of them. I am coming to the conclusion (based on recent travels away from SC) that what the country really needs to bring about BEV acceptance by the public is the 40 - 50KW DC stations. They are (relative to a 350 kW) quite inexpensive (hardware and installation), don't require elaborate service (280V 3ø) and fast enough that a single one can serve many users in a day.
IMG_1656.jpg
Blink is getting closer, they are doing ~20kw Level 2 going forward

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Blink is getting closer, they are doing ~20kw Level 2 going forward
That only works if the vehicle has dual onboard chargers that allow up to 80 amps (240V x 80a = 19.2kW). There are very few vehicles that currently support 80 amps other than older Model S vehicles and some Porsche Taycans. The F-150 lightning, Cadillac Lyriq, and Lucid Air will have it optional soon, but the vast majority have no need for dual onboard chargers so they will be limited to 32-48 amps and speeds between 7.6-11.5kW.

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
That only works if the vehicle has dual onboard chargers that allow up to 80 amps (240V x 80a = 19.2kW). There are very few vehicles that currently support 80 amps other than older Model S vehicles and some Porsche Taycans. The F-150 lightning, Cadillac Lyriq, and Lucid Air will have it optional soon, but the vast majority have no need for dual onboard chargers so they will be limited to 32-48 amps and speeds between 7.6-11.5kW.
Agreed; although it'll help to get companies like Rivian to up the charge speed. It is also a fraction of the cost equipment wise ($1k vs 20k), but this may not be a major factor in the expenses of a commercial location.

Sadly, 11k isn't even overnight chargeable for a maxpack, Rivian really should have done 15k like Tesla or similar. I anticipate large battery vehicles (100kwh+) will have 15k+. It's the old small battery commuters out there that don't. Even the new bolts have 11kw on a small battery.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Sadly, 11k isn't even overnight chargeable for a maxpack, Rivian really should have done 15k like Tesla or similar. I anticipate large battery vehicles (100kwh+) will have 15k+. It's the old small battery commuters out there that don't. Even the new bolts have 11kw on a small battery.
I don't know about you but I never drive 400 round trip miles in a day and then return home expecting a full recharge overnight so that I can do another 400 miles the next day so I don't really see the "sadness" of an 11.5 kW charge limit at home. That charging rate more than offsets my daily driving and, in reality, I wouldn't even need to charge every day.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I don't know about you but I never drive 400 round trip miles in a day and then return home expecting a full recharge overnight so that I can do another 400 miles the next day so I don't really see the "sadness" of an 11.5 kW charge limit at home. That charging rate more than offsets my daily driving and, in reality, I wouldn't even need to charge every day.
Usually this happens when you're not driving round trip, but continuing on a road trip with destination charging

For example, I do Seattle -> Boise (sleep) -> Phoenix via Elko or Vegas. as a two day road trip stopping at the friend's house.

But I often also do Friday 4pm -> Arrive to Boise at 11pm-midnight.

Then at 7-8 AM we continue on to the backcountry in central Idaho (a charging desert) for hunting/camping/fishing trips, and I need the range. No chargers up there, at all. Mccall, Stanley, Sawtooth national rec area, etc.

Even if there's a DC charger, they're only effective to getting to 70-80%. The remaining push to 100% has to come via destination charging. Besides, the destination charge is 0.06 cents kw/h and EA is $0.40, so reducing my reliability on them is important.

From my house, there are also days when I do 150 miles round trip back to back with the boat trailer. Two days on the lake, for instance. This also would not fully charge.

There's been a long pattern of EV makers ensuring "overnight" charging gets you to 100%. Chevy bolt is 11kw. Most everything "small" is 11kvw (bolt, etc. model 3/y).

Most everything "large" coming out 100kwh and above is 15kw or higher (Tesla Model S/X, F150, etc.)

Most everything "huge" is 20kwh (f150 max pack, Hummer, etc.)

Maybe they're trying to really go lifestyle-only with this truck, but I'd also like to get some utility so I can sell my ram 1500. I've entertained a "Tacoma" style truck in my life.

A 180kwh battery needs more than 11kw charging, IMHO. Make it a max pack only option.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Most new-ish homes will have a 200A electrical service, which generally means they can support 160A continuous load. An 80A EVSE is half of that. If your service is sufficient to support that (rare, but not entirely unheard of), you could also look into a single-phase 20-25kW CCS charger instead.

If you're on a road trip, what you have installed at home is irrelevant, and I think you'll find very few public Level 2 chargers support more than about 7-9kW anyways.

The actual use case that someone arrives somewhere with no charge and needs a completely full battery just a few hours later will be so exceptionally rare that it's a totally reasonable compromise to manufacture the vehicle without the capability. In the tiny number of cases this comes up, 20 minutes at a charger when arriving into town the night before or before heading out in the morning is certainly a minor inconvenience but not one that can't be planned for.

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Most new-ish homes will have a 200A electrical service, which generally means they can support 160A continuous load. An 80A EVSE is half of that. If your service is sufficient to support that (rare, but not entirely unheard of), you could also look into a single-phase 20-25kW CCS charger instead.
Home panels are usually oversubscribed. Usually you would charge at full power at night to save money so it wouldn't be a big issue in terms of load.

Good luck finding a 20-25kW DC wall box for less than $12-15k

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The remaining push to 100% has to come via destination charging.
From what's been shown on some of the Rivian screen captures there is a preset charge level (67%) llabeled "best for battery". There is a message in that for all of us.

There's been a long pattern of EV makers ensuring "overnight" charging gets you to 100%. Chevy bolt is 11kw. Most everything "small" is 11kvw (bolt, etc. model 3/y).
We all want to know how long it would take to fully charge out batteries. That does not mean that we would do that except under extraordinary circumstances.

Most everything "large" coming out 100kwh and above is 15kw or higher (Tesla Model S/X, F150, etc.)
Most production, including the Rivians and the current Teslas, is still at 48A tops (11.52 kw)

Most everything "huge" is 20kwh (f150 max pack, Hummer, etc.)
The F150 will evidently have dual 48A chargers (23 kW)

A 180kwh battery needs more than 11kw charging, IMHO. Make it a max pack only option.
For the present it seems you are stuck with 48 Amps in both the CT and the R1T Max. For a 180 kWh battery that's 11.52/180 = .064C implying that it will take 100/(.064*400) = 3.9 hr to add 100 miles range. That's more than adequate for home charging.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
FYI as a data point. I reached out to my utility provider and our home was built in 2003.

They told me that the line ran to my home can do up to 400A, i just need to add the panels with an electrician. I'm going to add two 100A circuits, one to the garage for cars that need charging and one to my workshop/office.

it's gonna cost me some, but I'll have an 80A dual charger that can split the load between the two cars or send it all to one. Figure that'll hold me for quite a while until we figure something else out.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
FYI as a data point. I reached out to my utility provider and our home was built in 2003.

They told me that the line ran to my home can do up to 400A, i just need to add the panels with an electrician. I'm going to add two 100A circuits, one to the garage for cars that need charging and one to my workshop/office.

it's gonna cost me some, but I'll have an 80A dual charger that can split the load between the two cars or send it all to one. Figure that'll hold me for quite a while until we figure something else out.
Contractor who built our house had a demand load of about 190A which just barely fit into a 200A service (no gas service, all electric). We upgraded from 200A to 400A immediately after moving in (that wasn't a cheap project; thankfully no transformer work, but our utility requires using a CT cabinet for metering starting at 400A and we had to upgrade the lines). So yeah, we could probably spare the amps for a bigger charger, but I'll settle for 2x 48A EVSEs load sharing a 60A circuit to make sure we can also have that 50A hot tub we're looking at.
Sponsored