Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
My work solved this in a simple way.

$0.10 cents/hour for the first two hours.

After than, $5/hour for the next two.

Then $20/hour.

Sure you could unplug-replug, but the point is the Free then billed gets people to move their shit, or charge at home.

Free at work charging doesn't make sense for long range EVs. It was mainly a tip of the hat to short range EVs, and people that needed the 50 miles to make it home.
Not disagreeing with their solution or anything else you said.

But... As long as such systems continue to exist - whether or not they've outlived their usefulness - the abuse will also continue to exist.
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
If the wall charger is made by Wallbox and seems to rely on Wallbox firmware, I wonder if the Rivian wall chargers will be able to load share/balance. And if so, might it be able to do so with a non-Rivian-branded Wallbox Pulsar Plus? If so, that would be excellent news!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If the wall charger is made by Wallbox and seems to rely on Wallbox firmware, I wonder if the Rivian wall chargers will be able to load share/balance. And if so, might it be able to do so with a non-Rivian-branded Wallbox Pulsar Plus? If so, that would be excellent news!
Wallbox itself is not a trademarked term. it's been in common usage in the EV world for a while. Yes, there is a 'wallbox' company but they don't own the term, BMW was actually the first one to trademark it.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wallbox itself is not a trademarked term. it's been in common usage in the EV world for a while. Yes, there is a 'wallbox' company but they don't own the term, BMW was actually the first one to trademark it.
There have been some other bits of circumstantial evidence that Wallbox is the likely manufacturer of Rivian's wall chargers.

Maybe @kanundrum can shed more light on why he said this in the OP? Was there anything else that suggested a connection to Wallbox the company as opposed to a generic term "wallbox" with a little 'w'?

Charger is Made by Wallbox and uses their API for controls/App integration

Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

There have been some other bits of circumstantial evidence that Wallbox is the likely manufacturer of Rivian's wall chargers.

Maybe @kanundrum can shed more light on why he said this in the OP? Was there anything else that suggested a connection to Wallbox the company as opposed to a generic term "wallbox" with a little 'w'?

Rivian R1T R1S ? Rivian App Deep Dive Preview: A Breakdown of Future Services 1632340513265

Granted it could just be a coincidence but it would be one big one.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

1632340513265.png

Class naming conventions start with an Upper case letter. So they could just have been referring to the box on the wall.

However i would have used home charger or something along those lines lol.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Class naming conventions start with an Upper case letter. So they could just have been referring to the box on the wall.

However i would have used home charger or something along those lines lol.

Correct just also a pretty good guess because on wallboxs website they use a Rivian. In addition they have a "Charger" class as well so again could be a coincidence but doubtful.

Rivian R1T R1S ? Rivian App Deep Dive Preview: A Breakdown of Future Services 1632345664856

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Correct just also a pretty good guess because on wallboxs website they use a Rivian. In addition they have a "Charger" class as well so again could be a coincidence but doubtful.

1632345664856.png
IIRC, Wallbox had a Rivian pictured on their website several months ago. It seemed plausible, at the time, that they were either partnering with Rivian, or were somehow involved with Rivian EVSEs (didn't know if it was the residential units or for the RAN).

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1632340513265.png

So then I guess the next step would be to look at whatever app Wallbox has to see if they have the same API? That would seem to be a pretty strong connection, wouldn't it?

I'm pretty sure I agree with you that the circumstantial evidence is piling up pretty solidly that they've partnered with Wallbox, but we don't know with absolute certainty, I guess.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IIRC, Wallbox had a Rivian pictured on their website several months ago. It seemed plausible, at the time, that they were either partnering with Rivian, or were somehow involved with Rivian EVSEs (didn't know if it was the residential units or for the RAN).
heh, you literally quoted a post that included a photo, from Wallbox's website, that has a Rivian in it. :CWL:

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Does anyone know if the app will allow you to make a reservation for a RAN charger? I mentioned this in another thread with someone asking about interest in a group TAT trip. Once a significant number of us are actually on the road with these, it is going to be interesting to see how often someone pulls into one of these remote location motels/campsites with a couple of level 2 chargers and plans to do the overnight charge, only to find they have an 8-10 hour wait for the next open charger. Being able to make a reservation for a time slot through the app would partially alleviate this if I could see a charger was already reserved on my desired night in the trip planning phases. This is of course dependent on my wife who obsesses over every detail of trip planning weeks in advance and not me who typically just gets up and goes and thinks it will all work out when we get there.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Level 2 chargers are pretty useless for anything except overnight charging at home or at a hotel that has a lot of them. I am coming to the conclusion (based on recent travels away from SC) that what the country really needs to bring about BEV acceptance by the public is the 40 - 50KW DC stations. They are (relative to a 350 kW) quite inexpensive (hardware and installation), don't require elaborate service (280V 3ø) and fast enough that a single one can serve many users in a day.
Rivian R1T R1S ? Rivian App Deep Dive Preview: A Breakdown of Future Services IMG_1656

Last edited:

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

D13DB65C-480E-4A53-BA57-37417F893B60.png

Is it just me or does my app home screen look slightly different today?
Yours is different from mine, so it's possible. Mine says "you don't have access to any vehicles yet" before the "if you think this is in error" part.
Sponsored