First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I think he was referring to a setting in the vehicle for lower than the maximum the EVSE will provide. Not sure why people want to do this.
Coincidentally I ran into an interesting use case for me for the first time a couple of weeks ago. The Level 2 charge point chargers at the Mariners parking garage charge by the kW. I wanted to "use" one so I limited my charging to a slower charge rate so it was basically free to use and o basically trickle charged.

Before anyone gets annoyed, I was late to the game and not all of the chargers were used. So I didn't ICE anyone.

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Many electric companies have programs that install an internet-connected switch on A/C units, and they can remotely turn off a homes A/C to manage load on the grid. It's possible we'll see similar programs asking to manage EV charging if it presents a significant load on the grid. Although, most EV charging is likely done at night, when load on the grid is at its lowest, anyway.
True, we have an opposite type of demand management here when heating loads surge: my meter energizes a 24v circuit when it is under 10 F, my HP reads it and shuts off/transfers to my NG furnace. In return for installing this, I have unlimited energy @ 3.45¢/kWh (US) when temperatures are over 10F, but my rate is 6 times higher when temps are lower. I just received my CP Home Flex yesterday, I intend to request/find a way to have it shut down when the higher rate kicks in.

More importantly for this conversation: I get a 6$ daily penalty if I draw more than 50kW at anytime (i know, its a fairly high cap) - others here might have lower caps and want to modulate charging themselves for that reason.

But anyway, I had none of this in mind with my post: by service I meant actual capacity: those with 150 or even 100 amp panels might just want to downgrade charging so their main breaker doesnt trip.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I think he was referring to a setting in the vehicle for lower than the maximum the EVSE will provide. Not sure why people want to do this.
The way systems in our life are setup, there's a lot of incentives out there for perverse behavior.

E.g. My work has free charging. But when you're done charging, you're expected to move your car immediately to free up the charger for another car. This is enforced at some buildings with Chargepoint charging queues, for example.

My solution was *gasp* not charge my car every day, run down that giant 100kwh battery to 10-20% SoC, then charge all day.

Others that want the non-ICE parking and want to stay topped off every day slow down their charging rate based on when they think they'll be leaving the office.

(Asshole move, but I've seen many Tesla owners do it)

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
The way systems in our life are setup, there's a lot of incentives out there for perverse behavior.

E.g. My work has free charging. But when you're done charging, you're expected to move your car immediately to free up the charger for another car. This is enforced at some buildings with Chargepoint charging queues, for example.

My solution was *gasp* not charge my car every day, run down that giant 100kwh battery to 10-20% SoC, then charge all day.

Others that want the non-ICE parking and want to stay topped off every day slow down their charging rate based on when they think they'll be leaving the office.

(Asshole move, but I've seen many Tesla owners do it)
My work solved this in a simple way.

$0.10 cents/hour for the first two hours.

After than, $5/hour for the next two.

Then $20/hour.

Sure you could unplug-replug, but the point is the Free then billed gets people to move their shit, or charge at home.

Free at work charging doesn't make sense for long range EVs. It was mainly a tip of the hat to short range EVs, and people that needed the 50 miles to make it home.

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
Coincidentally I ran into an interesting use case for me for the first time a couple of weeks ago. The Level 2 charge point chargers at the Mariners parking garage charge by the kW. I wanted to "use" one so I limited my charging to a slower charge rate so it was basically free to use and o basically trickle charged.

Before anyone gets annoyed, I was late to the game and not all of the chargers were used. So I didn't ICE anyone.
I ain't mad atcha...you already paid somewhere between $20-60 to park there anyway plus charging right?!?! Was it the Griffey, Edgar, Ichiro, or Felix station? ?

I almost took the Leaf to the Green Day concert a few weeks back but I wasn't about to pay that huge fee is charging plus we could not have pre-partied the way we did with SPD parked adjacent to the charging spaces. ? Plus they wanted $60 for that event. Found a $20 lot a few blocks down ?✌

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I ain't mad atcha...you already paid somewhere between $20-60 to park there anyway plus charging right?!?! Was it the Griffey, Edgar, Ichiro, or Felix station? ?

I almost took the Leaf to the Green Day concert a few weeks back but I wasn't about to pay that huge fee is charging plus we could not have pre-partied the way we did with SPD parked adjacent to the charging spaces. ? Plus they wanted $60 for that event. Found a $20 lot a few blocks down ?✌
$25. The stupid surface lots are only $5 less last time I looked around this year. So I figured the $5. Worth not feeling like my car is going to get broken into. Cheap emotional insurance. Lol.

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Anyone able to determine how many times the app has been downloaded on iOS and Android? Would be interesting to know, might give a decent idea of number of actively involved pre order holders.
Google Play store just shows 1K+ downloads.

Can confirm the band and card use NFC and their FCC regs have NFC stated as well.
That makes sense, thanks for confirming that. And I assume BLE (and internets, of course) for phones.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
All L2 is slow charging with no benefit to the battery by throttling it back.
That statement is very probably untrue. But the pertinent question is as to whether one should reduce his L2 charging rate of 0.057C (48A, Max) to 0.039C (30A) in the expectation of saving himself the cost of a battery replacement or of keeping 10 - 20 more miles range in the third year of ownership. The answer is clearly "yes" as the expected costs of doing this are zero. Expected gain, plus, expected cost, nothing. That's a no brainer to someone who understands what "expected" means and that excludes anyone who would say there is no benefit.

I'll get in trouble for doing this but a statistician labels "slow charging [has] no benefit to the battery by throttling it back. " as the "null hypothesis" and asks "what sort of a test would I need to construct that would allow me to reject the null hypothesis with statistical significance" and immediately realizes that the guy making the statement is safe. There is no practical test. A rather involved laboratory series would be required to determine if slower charging at low C rate has an appreciable effect. Some PHD candidate may care but I doubt Elon Musk or R.J. Scaringe do.

I've lost 1.8% in 18 months. Is that because I charge at 30 A? Or because I only charge to 60 - 75%? Or because I seldom use Superchargers?

It's sort of like the 3rd Covid shot. The science suggests that it will help but will it help you? Can't say but it seems you'd be a fool to turn it down if it is offered given that it costs nothing.

There are, of course, other reasons to want to reduce charging rate else why would the cars have a control to allow this to be done. Probably the most obvious one is where you are subject to demand charges (charged for rate of use as well as amount used), where the supply is limited (charging from Powerwalls, generator, during a brownout etc.) and my silly tendency to want to claim that I run 100% on solar. This I ensure by charging when the sun is up and setting the rate low enough that nothing is being taken from the utility.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
why wouldn’t you be able to set lower charge rates, though?
This was covered. You can both in the car and in some EVSE. The EVSE is commissioned for the circuit it is installed on and you can adjust within the app to anything less than or equal to that. Within the car you can set for anything less than or equal to what the EVSE tells it it can have.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
That statement is very probably untrue. But the pertinent question is as to whether one should reduce his L2 charging rate of 0.057C (48A, Max) to 0.039C (30A) in the expectation of saving himself the cost of a battery replacement or of keeping 10 - 20 more miles range in the third year of ownership. The answer is clearly "yes" as the expected costs of doing this are zero. Expected gain, plus, expected cost, nothing. That's a no brainer to someone who understands what "expected" means and that excludes anyone who would say there is no benefit.

I'll get in trouble for doing this but a statistician labels "slow charging [has] no benefit to the battery by throttling it back. " as the "null hypothesis" and asks "what sort of a test would I need to construct that would allow me to reject the null hypothesis with statistical significance" and immediately realizes that the guy making the statement is safe. There is no practical test. A rather involved laboratory series would be required to determine if slower charging at low C rate has an appreciable effect. Some PHD candidate may care but I doubt Elon Musk or R.J. Scaringe do.

I've lost 1.8% in 18 months. Is that because I charge at 30 A? Or because I only charge to 60 - 75%? Or because I seldom use Superchargers?

It's sort of like the 3rd Covid shot. The science suggests that it will help but will it help you? Can't say but it seems you'd be a fool to turn it down if it is offered given that it costs nothing.

There are, of course, other reasons to want to reduce charging rate else why would the cars have a control to allow this to be done. Probably the most obvious one is where you are subject to demand charges (charged for rate of use as well as amount used), where the supply is limited (charging from Powerwalls, generator, during a brownout etc.) and my silly tendency to want to claim that I run 100% on solar. This I ensure by charging when the sun is up and setting the rate low enough that nothing is being taken from the utility.
Just one nit-pick - Teslas's may, but not all EV's have ability to change the amount of power draw in the vehicle (or vehicle app) itself. Not even all EVSE's have that ability as far as I know. The Chargepoint does (thus the Flex name and marketing, so I sense it is unique in that regard), but my Audi does not. I'm not sure we know for certain whether the Rivian vehicle or Rivian charger/EVSE (though inferences may be gleaned from the standard Wallbox product) will have this ability.

Also, my original suspicion that perhaps it would be marginally better to lower the charge rate is that I've witnessed that at 60amps (10.5kw), the AC will sometimes kick on presumably trying to cool something. I've never seen this at 20-30amps. There's the car, and then there's also the EVSE equipment, and lower heat levels throughout that, including cable and connector, can't hurt.
Sponsored