Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
rivian-app-1.png

It does look like the front bumper cover can be removed, and then perhaps a winch can be mounted to the existing bumper, then a new trim piece installed?

Rivian R1T R1S ? Rivian App Deep Dive Preview: A Breakdown of Future Services 1632263794269
Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It does look like the front bumper cover can be removed, and then perhaps a winch can be mounted to the existing bumper, then a new trim piece installed?

1632263794269.png
Wife: Tell me again why we need a winch?
Me: In case the driveway is slick. Duh.

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Wife: Tell me again why we need a winch?
Me: In case the driveway is slick. Duh.
Or, to remove an existing tree stump in the way of extending your driveway to make room for her R1S.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
It looks to me like Rivian has (optionally) integrated a Warn Zeon Platinum Winch. As far as I know, that is the only winch on the market that can operate the clutch (free spool) via remote/bluetooth. For those that may not know, with this winch, you don't have to open the hood or reach through cut-outs in the bumper to activate the clutch that allows you to pull the line out.

As far as implementation, It seems safe to assume (!) that not all front bumpers will have the cut out. Those that don't want or need a winch don't want to see a cut out in the bumper. So it follows that Rivian has either added the cut-out bumper and/or winch as a part of the off-road package or a separate option(s). It will be interesting to see how they do this. If you want to add the winch later, you will likely need a different bumper.

I'm guessing (!) this will be at least a $4000. option if added at the time of order. That winch (12,000lb) retails from Warn at $2768. Add cost for different spec bumper, shackle, and fairlead and you easily get to that $ if they use retail costs. It looks like the components in the off-road recover kit are Factor 55, among the best and of course not the cheapest and the shackle and fairlead are likely from them also.

And as you mention, installation, depending on where it is done, may or may not be "simple". Who knows how easily it will be to add electrical accessories with a proper breaker, etc.

I'm hopeful that this winch info is an indication of other specs and options not previously revealed by Rivian that will make owners smile.
I thought the same thing, then I wondered why they'd limit themselves to a 12v winch and what kind of 12v battery they've got fitted in the vehicle. Seems like they could keep the basic architecture of the winch with a higher voltage motor to more easily adapt to the primary battery instead of limiting themselves.

Sponsored

Amdolan

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Durango
I thought the same thing, then I wondered why they'd limit themselves to a 12v winch and what kind of 12v battery they've got fitted in the vehicle. Seems like they could keep the basic architecture of the winch with a higher voltage motor to more easily adapt to the primary battery instead of limiting themselves.
They could also be using a unidirectional dc-dc converter to step the HV battery down to 12V. I’m not well versed on winches, but they may want to go with 12V for commonality purposes.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I see Rest API calls but they also route back to Rivian cloud. Any services in general not released and being called could also been seen as attack attempts imho so I stay away haha.
"Bad Touch"

Here are some items confirmed to look forward to in the future (I see evidence of such thought it may not be available to end users it is reported/tracked in App)
Wrist Band​

rivian-app-3.png
The band is slick. I know there is a ring for the Model 3 and Y that you can do the same thing with (which, in my opinion is better than a band) but a lot better then a key fob.

The remove HVAC control and window controls are also nice for:
  1. Dogs in the car while in the store... so I'm hoping there is an implied "Dog Mode" style ability.
  2. You forgot to roll up your windows, it's raining.. and "Screw that, I'm not going out there.. it's raining."

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
They could also be using a unidirectional dc-dc converter to step the HV battery down to 12V. I’m not well versed on winches, but they may want to go with 12V for commonality purposes.
400v winches are fairly common in industry.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I hear you, but, they have 12v in other places, such as the gear tunnel. And *personally* I don't want a winch that I can only get service from Rivian. Kinda like the 21" wheels. At least with those, there is are viable options that install relatively easy and do not require nearly the maintenance that a winch is like the require if actually used.

As I understand it, Rivian began design etc. on a sports car before realizing they could differentiate the company by designing vehicles, especially the R1T, for the "adventure" market. All of the their events and promo (Motor Trend) have skewed in that direction.

Rivian claims they spent much time at all the pre-events talking to the kind of people that would actually use the vehicle. We'll soon get another test of what they absorbed. There is no way that people told them they wanted something completely unique with regard to a winch.

Perhaps there is some other aspect I am missing?

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
The band is slick. I know there is a ring for the Model 3 and Y that you can do the same thing with (which, in my opinion is better than a band) but a lot better then a key fob.
I'd have thought the same, until a small infection caused my ring finger to swell terribly one night resulting in a painful ER visit.

• Sad
Reactions: Jay

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I wondered about that as winches are notoriously hard on 12V systems. I don't know enough about converters and how they work with high amp applications though. Many 12k winches are trying to pull 500-700 amps through some hefty wire.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
400v winches are fairly common in industry.
”what kinda winch you got on that there electric truck? My heep has a warn“

“demag. 480V 10 ton”

Last edited:

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

The new NEC code doesn't allow changing the charger amperage in consumer facing apps or without opening the device. This is to prevent a consumer from installing a charger with a certain breaker size and then changing the registered breaker to a higher one in the app.
why wouldn’t you be able to set lower charge rates, though?
Sponsored