Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
First stand out is WINCH Picture and services thru the App for the following:
  • Controlled Via Bluetooth within Application
  • Free Spool
  • Winch Out
  • Winch In
Rivian R1T R1S ? Rivian App Deep Dive Preview: A Breakdown of Future Services rivian-app-1-
Sure looks like a fully integrated winch, rather than just a spot to bolt-on an aftermarket one
Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Sure looks like a fully integrated winch, rather than just a spot to bolt-on an aftermarket one
Agreed I am assuming it connects directly to the skateboard and installation cost (done at service centers) would be quite a bit.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Or may be they can have Android and Apple app for smart watches which could also be used a key. Sometimes, people don't prefer to carry wallet or phone when heading out for adventure activities.
Nobody knows yet what they will immediately deliver. But contactless payments are handled with NFC tech. This would allow for Watches such as the Apple or Garmin to start the vehicle (no phone required) as well as apps on larger smart devices as you desire.

Rivian has several related job postings open that directly mention NFC. I would strongly encourage other to look at those jobs postings. There are a lot of things that one can speculate about their intention at a minimum.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Just a simple decompile/deflate, starting API calls while would result with a LOT more information, how ever it has implications I'd rather not deal with if you know what I mean hahaha.
If it's anything like Tesla, just listening to the API responses typically shows many "extra" fields. For example, new car models, new battery capacities, because they just return them in the list.

This is just simple image assets here; makes sense.

None the less, someone needs to document the API. There are many third party unofficial integrations with Tesla (IE: https://www.teslaapi.io/)

IE: I setup my Alexa to remote start my Nissan Leaf.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Nobody knows yet what they will immediately deliver. But contactless payments are handled with NFC tech. This would allow for Watches such as the Apple or Garmin to start the vehicle (no phone required) as well as apps on larger smart devices as you desire.

Rivian has several related job postings open that directly mention NFC. I would strongly encourage other to look at those jobs postings. There are a lot of things that one can speculate about their intention at a minimum.
I suspect they are generic NFC; and any NFC could be "enrolled" to do the unlocking. They just make a few accessories with built in NFC.

In Europe, a lot of the phone rent-a-car companies let you randomly enroll any NFC in your possession (IE: bus pass) to unlock the cars.

Job postings make great PR announcements :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

If it's anything like Tesla, just listening to the API responses typically shows many "extra" fields. For example, new car models, new battery capacities, because they just return them in the list.

This is just simple image assets here; makes sense.

None the less, someone needs to document the API. There are many third party unofficial integrations with Tesla (IE: https://www.teslaapi.io/)

IE: I setup my Alexa to remote start my Nissan Leaf.

I see Rest API calls but they also route back to Rivian cloud. Any services in general not released and being called could also been seen as attack attempts imho so I stay away haha.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I see Rest API calls but they also route back to Rivian cloud. Any services in general not released and being called could also been seen as attack attempts imho so I stay away haha.
You can learn a lot just listening to the response. IE: F12 network tab equivalent in Chrome.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I suspect they are generic NFC; and any NFC could be "enrolled" to do the unlocking. They just make a few accessories with built in NFC.

In Europe, a lot of the phone rent-a-car companies let you randomly enroll any NFC in your possession (IE: bus pass) to unlock the cars.

Job postings make great PR announcements :)

Can confirm the band and card use NFC and their FCC regs have NFC stated as well.

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
I think he was referring to a setting in the vehicle for lower than the maximum the EVSE will provide. Not sure why people want to do this.
@DucRider To manage load. Some owner’s electrical service wont allow for full speed charging while other high load devices are on.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
It looks to me like Rivian has (optionally) integrated a Warn Zeon Platinum Winch. As far as I know, that is the only winch on the market that can operate the clutch (free spool) via remote/bluetooth. For those that may not know, with this winch, you don't have to open the hood or reach through cut-outs in the bumper to activate the clutch that allows you to pull the line out.

As far as implementation, It seems safe to assume (!) that not all front bumpers will have the cut out. Those that don't want or need a winch don't want to see a cut out in the bumper. So it follows that Rivian has either added the cut-out bumper and/or winch as a part of the off-road package or a separate option(s). It will be interesting to see how they do this. If you want to add the winch later, you will likely need a different bumper.

I'm guessing (!) this will be at least a $4000. option if added at the time of order. That winch (12,000lb) retails from Warn at $2768. Add cost for different spec bumper, shackle, and fairlead and you easily get to that $ if they use retail costs. It looks like the components in the off-road recover kit are Factor 55, among the best and of course not the cheapest and the shackle and fairlead are likely from them also.

And as you mention, installation, depending on where it is done, may or may not be "simple". Who knows how easily it will be to add electrical accessories with a proper breaker, etc.

I'm hopeful that this winch info is an indication of other specs and options not previously revealed by Rivian that will make owners smile.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It looks like they are allowing up to 4 phone keys. I'm looking specifically at the android app, so I imagine if there was a special allowance for the iWatch I might not see it.
The App Store doesn't show an Apple Watch version, at this time. I'm hoping Rivian plans on launching one, in the near future. I understand why they'd want to focus on their core functionality in the phone app, for now.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
@DucRider To manage load. Some owner’s electrical service wont allow for full speed charging while other high load devices are on.
Many electric companies have programs that install an internet-connected switch on A/C units, and they can remotely turn off a homes A/C to manage load on the grid. It's possible we'll see similar programs asking to manage EV charging if it presents a significant load on the grid. Although, most EV charging is likely done at night, when load on the grid is at its lowest, anyway.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

What the chances they surprise the Launch edition models with the built in winch included? I know I would be screaming like a little girl.
Sponsored