First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Contractor who built our house had a demand load of about 190A which just barely fit into a 200A service (no gas service, all electric). We upgraded from 200A to 400A immediately after moving in (that wasn't a cheap project; thankfully no transformer work, but our utility requires using a CT cabinet for metering starting at 400A and we had to upgrade the lines). So yeah, we could probably spare the amps for a bigger charger, but I'll settle for 2x 48A EVSEs load sharing a 60A circuit to make sure we can also have that 50A hot tub we're looking at.
I've somehow fit 2 40A chargers, a hot tub, central A/C, and the normal large house setuff into our 200A service... Would have cost an arm and a leg to get me up to 400A and luckily the load calc worked out.
Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I've somehow fit 2 40A chargers, a hot tub, central A/C, and the normal large house setuff into our 200A service... Would have cost an arm and a leg to get me up to 400A and luckily the load calc worked out.
Do you have gas service? The electric dryer, water heater, and forced air furnace (which we have since replaced with a heat pump, though we still have resistive coils for winter backup heat) added up to quite a lot.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Do you have gas service? The electric dryer, water heater, and forced air furnace (which we have since replaced with a heat pump, though we still have resistive coils for winter backup heat) added up to quite a lot.
Thankfully yes. Though our oven is electric.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
It's sort of like the 3rd Covid shot. The science suggests that it will help but will it help you? Can't say but it seems you'd be a fool to turn it down if it is offered given that it costs nothing.
Technically our government ie taxpayers gave Pfizer and Moderna 11.5 billion to develop the vaccine according to MSN and USA Today. Additionally, our government pays Pfizer $19.50 per and Moderna gets $15. Eventually you pay for those vaccines. Oh and the UK pays $3. According to Bloomberg 392 million doses have been given so far. That’s a lot of taxpayer money for a ”free” shot. Not picking here just pointing out that nothing in life is free someone has to pay for it.

Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Technically our government ie taxpayers gave Pfizer and Moderna 11.5 billion to develop the vaccine according to MSN and USA Today. Additionally, our government pays Pfizer $19.50 per and Moderna gets $15. Eventually you pay for those vaccines. Oh and the UK pays $3. According to Bloomberg 392 million doses have been given so far. That’s a lot of taxpayer money for a ”free” shot. Not picking here just pointing out that nothing in life is free someone has to pay for it.
technically Pfizer did not get US dollars for the development or manufacturing of their vaccine. of course they had to pay for it, because nothing is free in this world

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
technically Pfizer did not get US dollars for the development or manufacturing of their vaccine. of course they had to pay for it, because nothing is free in this world
You are correct they only received a grant for 1.92 billion to manufacture and distribute. Plus the US government pays 19,50 each.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
So... if I get a COVID-19 booster while sitting in my new Rivian will the government pay for both??

/S

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
So... if I get a COVID-19 booster while sitting in my new Rivian will the government pay for both??

/S
Likely not especially with the current proposal of EV tax incentives. Rivian customers will not get anything if the current bill passes as the vehicles are above the cut off of $40,000. In May the proposal was $80,000. So it depends on what version passes.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
Likely not especially with the current proposal of EV tax incentives. Rivian customers will not get anything if the current bill passes as the vehicles are above the cut off of $40,000. In May the proposal was $80,000. So it depends on what version passes.
I think you missed the /s ?

Sponsored

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
I think you missed the /s ?
I got it. But thought I would mention the current ev bills in the house and senate. As it will affect most of the evs coming to market.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
You are correct they only received a grant for 1.92 billion to manufacture and distribute. Plus the US government pays 19,50 each.

Under the arrangement, the federal government would obtain that first batch for $1.95 billion, or about $20 a dose, with the rights to acquire up to 500 million more, or 600 million total. Americans would receive the vaccine for free. Before it could be distributed, it would need emergency approval by the Food and Drug Administration. But the U.S. government does not pay the nearly $2 billion until the drug is approved and the first 100 million doses are delivered.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Wait. I can sign up for the COVID shot in the Rivian App? Will it arrive as soon as my truck?
Your Rivian will ship with a vaccine dose in the glove box.