Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
What Ajdelange said is completely true and very well stated. Unless this group is running private power lines to customers, separate from the grid, then all they are doing (best case) is selling the customer an amount of electricity, and at least that amount of electricity is being generated in that SCE plan to which they allocate the funds. There is no way to be connected to the grid and ensure your consumed electricity comes from a specific source.
What Ajdelange said is completely true and very well stated. Unless this group is running private power lines to customers, separate from the grid, then all they are doing (best case) is selling the customer an amount of electricity, and at least that amount of electricity is being generated in that SCE plan to which they allocate the funds. There is no way to be connected to the grid and ensure your consumed electricity comes from a specific source.
Unless you have rooftop solar. Then your electricity will come from there when you are producing.
Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
Tesla may giveth range, but they also take it away...
Tesla games the system by including miles past zero in the range rating. Long article elsewhere about this several months ago.

WylieD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Rav4 hybrid, Honda Insight hybrid
Sorry guys. California is not Illinois or Virginia/Quebec.

Obviously the electricity provided to my house by SCE does not come directly from a solar panel. No one said that. In the Green Rate Program, an amount equivalent to what I use does. This is precisely the "best case" you refer to, and it is a very good case.

The pdf I linked to makes clear what the Green Rate Program does.

Even without the program, a large percent of California's electricity is, in fact, renewable or at least green (hydro or nuclear). One day back in April, California hit a record with renewable energy providing 95% of total production. Even at lower levels, I can't +not+ use at least some renewable energy.

Cal ISO manages the state's power grid. At any time you can see the mix of energy sources:

http://www.caiso.com/todaysoutlook/pages/supply.aspx

Today, renewables dominated between, roughly, 8 and 4. Right now it's natural gas. It's hot here today and even those with rooftop solar are starting to draw from the grid or their batteries as evening comes on.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

There’s no way you’ll be able to buy a complete wheel and tire assembly for the same price after sale at the spare tire option price.
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I intend to buy 4 spare tires at the time I buy the R1T, not later.

Scooter8511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Fusion, '16 Colorado, '98 S10 ZR2 pickup
Obviously the electricity provided to my house by SCE does not come directly from a solar panel. No one said that. In the Green Rate Program, an amount equivalent to what I use does. This is precisely the "best case" you refer to, and it is a very good case.
Locale had nothing to do with my stance, I misinterpreted the intent of the original statement. I though it was being advocated that 100% of the power you used came from solar generated in the program - reading it back I can see how it should have been read, and that's not what you meant. My bad.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I intend to buy 4 spare tires at the time I buy the R1T, not later.
Yeah there’s no way they’ll sell you 4 of them at the configurator price

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Better still, take the “free” 21’s and buy 20 inch rims and moderately aggressive AT or AS tires. Will cost you less than the $3k upgrade cost for ATs.
This is exactly where my head is at. I will only need 3-peak tire for about 4 months out of the year (ski season).

The free 21s would probably be totally fine for either Colorado or California in winter (where I’m at) but I would love to have a little more insurance and would be fine with basic aftermarket 20” rims +real winter tires.

That also means my free 21s will last longer if I’m not using them 1/3 of the year. Who cares about the funky size if I’m just replacing the weird 21” tire with the same weird 21” tire?

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Yeah there’s no way they’ll sell you 4 of them at the configurator price
You might be right, but asking is free and the only downside is "no".

WylieD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Rav4 hybrid, Honda Insight hybrid
Locale had nothing to do with my stance, I misinterpreted the intent of the original statement. I though it was being advocated that 100% of the power you used came from solar generated in the program - reading it back I can see how it should have been read, and that's not what you meant. My bad.
Fair enough. Your "best case" example perfectly captures the program I was writing about. ajdelange, on the other hand, appears very knowledgable about renewable energy credits, but not so much when it comes to programs like SCE's Green Rate Program.

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
Will Rivian come out with some efficient 20" wheels as one of their options?

https://electrek.co/2021/01/21/2021-porsche-taycan-4s-gets-10-more-epa-range-we-tell-you-why/

Based on this, I'm definetily keeping my 20s and once it's time to replace them, depending on how I feel about range and battery degradation, I may do my own range improvement
That's exactly what I'm doing. The 21" will be silly expensive to replace. The 22" are more vulnerable because of the size etc. The 20" are more easily replaceable too, and you can get more efficient for next time.

Quick update: I was wrong about replacing the 21", see @BoltEVowner below, $383. Looks like they aren't really gouging replacements at the unusual size.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
I forgot that people with launch edition vehicles can switch between wheel sizes without a price premium (correct?) I don't have a launch edition pre-order but if I did then I probably would go with the 20" wheels so future tire changes would be simpler.
Regarding renewable energy credits, I earn .5 cents per kwh that my solar produces in addition to having net metering. Then excel energy can use those REC to count as renewable energy, although I'm not sure if they sell those credits to other parties as green energy (even though I used most of that renewable energy I produced).

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
Looking for any thoughts on highway grade degradation and regeneration, if I missed it in the thread please point me to it. I live in Phoenix, AZ and my cabin is 150 miles north in Happy Jack, AZ. On the 20" wheels do you think I can make it to the cabin (where I have a charger) going up I-17 and the 260 without having to plug in to top it off? As I came down the mountain last weekend I was pondering what regeneration might exist just going downhill as I was recalling the R1T's getting towed to charge the batteries in the show Long Way Up. I have seen test Rivian's driving between Phoenix and Flagstaff, maybe one of the engineers is a lurker on here and can drop a hint. Thanks!
That should be easy 1 way. If it's uphill, you'll get a good amount of 'free range' going downhill on the way back. If you have 120v power you'll charge at 3-4 miles of range added per hour at your cabin. Round trip have to charge if you don't charge at the cabin.

Greenwater

First Name
Green
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
Occupation
software engineer
How about speculation of the impact of the underbody protection on range. It's optional now on the launch edition, but I'm thinking of going for it plus 20" a/t wheels. I mostly drive to ski areas, rarely go offroad up to now.

Tyleem111

First Name
Tylee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 2022 Ford Lightning, Daiharsu Mira, Ranger
Clubs

I agree. Everyone is comparing apples to oranges in this thread. I mean the efficiency of the Rivians is absolutely horrible compared to my model 3…..I just can’t believe how inefficient the Rivian is. I don’t expect a large suv or a decently sized truck to be as efficient as a crossover, sedan, etc.
I can’t believe the Tesla Semi truck (when numbers are released) is less efficient than the model 3! :p

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
That's exactly what I'm doing. The 21" will be silly expensive to replace. The 22" are more vulnerable because of the size etc. The 20" are more easily replaceable too, and you can get more efficient for next time.
Price for the 21" road tires is known, $383 each at TireRack, available to purchase now. My experience driving EV, I get better than the rated mileage, so 50-60k miles is typical on OEM tires for me. That is probably 4 years before needing to replace. I want the best range possible, do not plan for off-road usage, so I am sticking with the odd-sized 21" all season road tires. However...if I knew for certain that someone other than Pirelli would produce a similar low rolling resistance properly rated (for the life of me cannot understand why Rivian didn't get Pirelli to offer this) all season tire in the 20" size, I would get the (free with LE) 20" AT tires, and just replace with the aftermarket 20" all season ones as soon as they were available, and put the AT tires away for an unforeseen off-road adventure. I know there are a lot of other tires on the market in the 20" size, but I am not aware of any that are rated for the speed and load, and are low rolling resistance, i.e. made for a BEV truck or SUV. Maybe by the time my May 2019 LE R1T preorder is ready for delivery, this year, or next year, one will be planned and/or produced. Will keep looking for now.
Sponsored