First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Agreed, I expect the same. It's not clear to me that the EPA values (other than the different fudge factor) account for the different ride heights though. Any thoughts?
This would effect drag which, as the vehicle is not moving in the EPA test, cannot be modeled except through the coefficients of the dyno drag polynomial. I would expect Rivian to have modeled for the most favorable drag for on road driving and I would expect EPA to accept that. I would also expect the manual to tell us what is the best height setting for best range on the highway. As drag lowers in importance relative to rolling resistance for off road I would not expect much guidance there.
Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Not sure what NRGs are but in 10 years the grid will be much cleaner (we hope). I now charge from solar in the States and hydro in Canada so 0 carbon footprint is quite possible even today.
NRG = energy. I was being lazy ?. I would love to see more clean energy. I don’t really have my hopes up here in the USA. Broken government with a good chance that the conservative side will regain control in the next 2-4 years.

that’s awesome on you ?. I may have to put solar panels up in the future

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
NRG = energy. I was being lazy ?. I would love to see more clean energy. I don’t really have my hopes up here in the USA. Broken government with a good chance that the conservative side will regain control in the next 2-4 years.

that’s awesome on you ?. I may have to put solar panels up in the future
My energy company had a nice (to me) program to allow people to buy as much energy as they want that's renewable, and we can even select the type (generally).

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I don’t really have my hopes up here in the USA. Broken government with a good chance that the conservative side will regain control in the next 2-4 years.
Don't be so pessimistic. Even the investor owned utilities are moving towards renewables.

I may have to put solar panels up in the future
It's very probable that you will, as a prospective new BEV owner, find yourself thinking more and more about how cool it would be to brag that your car's fuel costs are 0. The companies in my area that install solar cannot keep up with the demand and, while I've never asked, I'll bet that BEV owners are a disproportionate number in their clientele.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Don't be so pessimistic. Even the investor owned utilities are moving towards renewables.

It's very probable that you will, as a prospective new BEV owner, find yourself thinking more and more about how cool it would be to brag that your car's fuel costs are 0. The companies in my area that install solar cannot keep up with the demand and, while I've never asked, I'll bet that BEV owners are a disproportionate number in their clientele.
farmers are putting them up in my neck of the woods. Good money in it for them. Plenty of windmills as well. I still don’t have my hopes up. I personally am invested in NextEra and Brookfield Energy companies. As far as buying panels. I will have to do some research when our roof needs replacing in a few years.

CarterGee

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner Limited '16
Sorry if I missed this across all the other replies, but do we know if the off-road upgrade was on these vehicles during testing? If not, how much of a hit should we expect range wise?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry if I missed this across all the other replies, but do we know if the off-road upgrade was on these vehicles during testing? If not, how much of a hit should we expect range wise?
No info yet. Might be a good question for a guide for someone who is getting an early R1T. ;)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
My energy company had a nice (to me) program to allow people to buy as much energy as they want that's renewable, and we can even select the type (generally).
This is pulling away from the thread theme but you cannot buy renewable energy from your utility. What you are buying from them is a Renewable Energy Credit which they bought from a producer of renewable energy who might not even be connected to their grid.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
You should not expect much of a hit from the extra weight of this kit (I assume that is the concern). What you need to be prepared for is a huge hit from viscous substrates when you are not driving on a paved road.

Sponsored

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
This is pulling away from the thread theme but you cannot buy renewable energy from your utility. What you are buying from them is a Renewable Energy Credit which they bought from a producer of renewable energy who might not even be connected to their grid.
Do you have anything to back that up? I’m not able to find it for mine: https://thecleanenergyalliance.org/how-it-works/

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Well, again it's leading the thread astray so I'll try to be brief. If I look out the window I see windmills turning away down in Vermont. They produce electricity which they dump into the local grid and the local grid operator pays them for it but they don't pay them enough to cover their expenses so they would operate at a loss were it not for the EPA which gives them a certificate for each X kWh they sell. This certificate is like a share of stock. It has value to people who feel good if they can claim they are involved in clean energy. These are traded on an exchange and anyone can buy them so even you in Southern California can claim good guy status based on clean energy generated in Vermont. Many utilities buy these RECs and offer them to their customers but clearly if the details were known there would be some raised eyebrows and instead they offer you special rates for "clean electricity". When you take them up on their offer they "retire" a certificate they have purchased on the exchange. The whole thing sounds like a scam but in fact it isn't because some of the money the utility charges you (after fees, comissions... are deducted) comes back to the guys in Vermont. YOU have subsidized clean power generation somewhere though you are being hoodwinked somewhat as to how you are doing so.

Probably the most important thing for you to understand is that electric energy cannot be vectored from the windfarm in Vermont to your house in La Jolla. The electricity I sell to Dominion Power never gets to the grid. It goes to my neighbors. But Dominion Power credits me for this and debits them. Lot of smoke and mirrors.

To learn more search on Renewable Energy Credit.

dfx

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 LandCruiser, 2015 Model S 70D
Well, again it's leading the thread astray so I'll try to be brief. If I look out the window I see windmills turning away down in Vermont. They produce electricity which they dump into the local grid and the local grid operator pays them for it but they don't pay them enough to cover their expenses so they would operate at a loss were it not for the EPA which gives them a certificate for each X kWh they sell. This certificate is like a share of stock. It has value to people who feel good if they can claim they are involved in clean energy. These are traded on an exchange and anyone can buy them so even you in Southern California can claim good guy status based on clean energy generated in Vermont. Many utilities buy these RECs and offer them to their customers but clearly if the details were known there would be some raised eyebrows and instead they offer you special rates for "clean electricity". When you take them up on their offer they "retire" a certificate they have purchased on the exchange. The whole thing sounds like a scam but in fact it isn't because some of the money the utility charges you (after fees, comissions... are deducted) comes back to the guys in Vermont. YOU have subsidized clean power generation somewhere though you are being hoodwinked somewhat as to how you are doing so.

Probably the most important thing for you to understand is that electric energy cannot be vectored from the windfarm in Vermont to your house in La Jolla. The electricity I sell to Dominion Power never gets to the grid. It goes to my neighbors. But Dominion Power credits me for this and debits them. Lot of smoke and mirrors.

To learn more search on Renewable Energy Credit.
Good summary of REC. Thank you.
As an EV driver for the last 10 years I realize that the main environmental benefit of my driving has been to improve air quality in my local community. Other than that I wouldn't say that there is much environmental benefit from EVs, certainly not as much as others claim. Once the recycling issue gets solved and it will, then the benefits of EV's become significant in my view.

WylieD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Rav4 hybrid, Honda Insight hybrid
...you cannot buy renewable energy from your utility. What you are buying from them is a Renewable Energy Credit which they bought from a producer of renewable energy who might not even be connected to their grid.
This may be true where you live, but it is not true elsewhere:

"GREEN RATE PROGRAM
We purchase renewable energy from independently owned solar farms in California on your behalf. You then purchase this renewable power (equal to 50 percent or 100 percent of your electricity use)."

https://www.sce.com/sites/default/files/custom-files/G21-047 Green Rate Residential Fact sheet_.pdf

Scooter8511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Fusion, '16 Colorado, '98 S10 ZR2 pickup
This may be true where you live, but it is not true elsewhere:

"GREEN RATE PROGRAM
We purchase renewable energy from independently owned solar farms in California on your behalf. You then purchase this renewable power (equal to 50 percent or 100 percent of your electricity use)."

https://www.sce.com/sites/default/files/custom-files/G21-047 Green Rate Residential Fact sheet_.pdf
What Ajdelange said is completely true and very well stated. Unless this group is running private power lines to customers, separate from the grid, then all they are doing (best case) is selling the customer an amount of electricity, and at least that amount of electricity is being generated in that SCE plan to which they allocate the funds. There is no way to be connected to the grid and ensure your consumed electricity comes from a specific source.
Sponsored