First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
What about a/c and audio system? This will be my first EV so sorry if that’s a dumb question. Wonder how much effect that’s gonna have on the range. ?
Minimal. Sitting in my ID.4 pulls about 1.3 kWh/hr, and with the A/C I want to say it jumps up to 2 or 3 kWh/hr or something like that. If you're driving on the highway at say... 65 mph, you'll use up about 29 kWh. So relative to pushing the truck over the road and through the air adding a 1kwh/hr or something is maybe a 3 to 5% change reduction in consumption?

The heater may suck down more energy than the A/C, but we'll have to see. At the end of the day, it's not going to tank your efficiency unless Rivian somehow botches the HVAC (which would really really surprise me).
Sponsored

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I think a key factor folks need to keep in mind, that unless you are routinely (daily) driving 250-300+ miles... most of this impact around tires, rims, etc... won't have a substantial impact on you or your driving.

Buy what you like, and yeah, you may have to sit at a DC FastCharger/SuperCharger for an extra 4-5 minutes when you stop to top off.

brianmartin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Camaro 2.0t
Better still, take the “free” 21’s and buy 20 inch rims and moderately aggressive AT or AS tires. Will cost you less than the $3k upgrade cost for ATs.
Actually, four high quality light weight forged off road wheels, and four good quality all terrain tires, that could easily cost more than $3000. If you are really after quality, it could be closer to $7-10k. You'd have far better equipment than OEM though.

if you go with something like this, a forged monoblock aluminum off road wheel, you are looking at $1000 per wheel, or more.
https://www.relationsracewheels.com...x127-forged-monoblock-jeep-wrangler-gladiator

Last edited:

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
I think that is likely a data entry error.
I hope you are right. The other alternative is that they were in FWD mode and that also only activates regen to the front wheels, which makes sense technically.

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
I’d say if you opt for the 22’s you’ll definitely be looking at winter rubber and potentially a second set of wheels in a more available fitment if you live in the land of the ice and snow.
@Pugster : Not much of a difference for winter options between 20 and 22 with OEM wheels IMO:

Performance: Considering the width is the same for all 3 sizes, the contact patch should be almost identical;

Choice:

275/65 R20:

-General Grabber Arctic LT
-Bridgestone Blizzak LT
-Cooper Discoverer Snow Claw
-Cooper Discoverer MS
-Toyo Open Country WLT1
-Firestone Winterforce LT
-Mastercraft Courser MSR
-Hankook W-11 I-Pike
-Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3

275/50 R22:
-Toyo Observe G3-Ice
-Continental Icecontact extreme
-Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 SUV

Granted theres more choices for the 20’s… But the 3 22 options are very solid. Nokians cant be beat in snow IMO, and I would say from having had 2 sets these Toyos are as good or better without studs on ice.

I think getting a second set of wheels for those who take delivery on 22s would be more by choice/for an off road wheel with AT/MT than as a winter necessity.

Sponsored

dixosw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I've never researched a vehicle with this level of detail before......
But, isnt it fun? And do we have anything better to do until we can actually see one or take delivery?
My tire choice is like my color choice - all over the place. I'm in FL, don't plan any serious off-roading so may go with 22's assuming they don't wear out in 10k miles like some super-sticky summer/performance tires. Also, like the idea of 20's and then replacing with All-Season when the time comes. More research required.... :)
Luckily (sadly??) I'm way down the delivery list so will get the benefit of y'alls experience before I get to order.

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
@Pugster :
275/65 R20:

-General Grabber Arctic LT
-Bridgestone Blizzak LT
-Cooper Discoverer Snow Claw
-Cooper Discoverer MS
-Toyo Open Country WLT1
-Firestone Winterforce LT
-Mastercraft Courser MSR
-Hankook W-11 I-Pike
-Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3
The studless Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV tire is also an option. It's a very popular winter tire. It comes in the 275/60 R20 size (diameter: 33").

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
The studless Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV tire is also an option. It's a very popular winter tire. It comes in the 275/60 R20 size (diameter: 33").
@Laurent I just stuck with exact matches to OEM size - but yes, even more options in similar sizes... and considering the diameter difference between the OEM 20 and 21/22s, I would think there should be an infotainment wheel size menu for adjustments.

seventyfour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A couple
I can also personally attest to what a pain it is to stop and charge. With my 2017 Chevy BoltEV, I went on a trip to Ft. Myers Florida about 3 years ago to play in a senior baseball tournament, and had to travel down the east coast of Florida to be able to find enough fast chargers to even make the trip. With fastest rate of 55 kW charging, time factor of charging was significant. I did it just to see if I could do it, but it took WAY longer than it would have taken in an ICE vehicle. Now with the R1T, charging rates are much faster, and more higher energy fast chargers are now available and increasing, and the range is greater, so will be much better.

With the reported 10-15% range reduction of the 20" AT wheels, I am going to switch my configuration back to the 21" road wheels, and expect to do better than the 314 mile range, as I am a seasoned EV driver, and know how to maximize range. Also, do not plan on off-roading, but if I change my mind, I will look for aftermarket 20 inch AT tires, hoping to find something less expensive than Rivian's $800 per tire/wheel combination, hoping it will be possible. If worse comes to worse, and Rivian will void warranty by using aftermarket wheels, will just have to bite the bullet and get additional Rivian 20" AT wheels directly from Rivian (5 x $800 = $4,000 ouch, a lot of money for an off-road adventure!). An alternative choice for a mostly road warrior, would be to get the LE free upgrade to the 20" AT wheels, and purchase a spare for $800, and also a set of 5 of the 21" road tires for $600 each, or $3,000. Would be nice to know if Rivian would sell the tire pressure monitoring sensors to go in other 20" aftermarket wheels, and how much that might cost. Someone with a lot more experience with aftermarket tires and wheels will eventually weigh in here, especially after deliveries actually begin...s00n.
You should be fine with aftermarket tires down the road. I’ve never heard of aftermarket tires causing warranty issues for any car manufacturer. And like any aftermarket changes, they can’t deny a warranty claim unless they can directly relate the issue to the modification.

Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, White, Forest Edge, 22” Brights
Occupation
Mechanical, Engineering, Technician for Navy (Undersea Warfare)Retired
All this technical jargon is all very interesting when discussing the range and how it’s affected by wheel size etc but to me it’s like splitting hairs. Will a small reduction in range really change your mind on the EV you chose?
To me, what’s going to affect range on a more gross scale is how heavy your foot is. I don’t know about you but i‘m excited about the fact that the Rivian goes 0-60 mph in 3 seconds and like to play a little. ? I feel that would be the main contributing factor to eating up range. Also road conditions like driving in snow is a big factor. Drag and the cold will play a major role. I’m from New England.

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Actually, four high quality light weight forged off road wheels, and four good quality all terrain tires, that could easily cost more than $3000. If you are really after quality, it could be closer to $7-10k. You'd have far better equipment than OEM though.

if you go with something like this, a forged monoblock aluminum off road wheel, you are looking at $1000 per wheel, or more.
https://www.relationsracewheels.com...x127-forged-monoblock-jeep-wrangler-gladiator
Here's my thinking: I'm getting the LE, so choosing wheel size isn't based on price. I think the 20" wheel is the strongest choice because is it forged, unlike the 21" or 22" which are flow forged.

With that in mind, I'm going with the 20" wheels. What tires come on those wheels doesn't matter as much, at least to me. Larger sidewalls equals a more comfortable ride with better shock absorbing characteristics. My experience with OEM tires is that I wear them out pretty quickly, so I'll have a good choice of replacement tires to choose from.

For spare tires, the 20" and the 22" are $800 each, but the 21" is only $600. I'll buy a set of four 21" spares, if Rivian will sell me that quantity. I'll use 1 of the as the actual spare. Yes, the diameter is slightly different, but less difference than a normal 18" car time and a compact spare. Or I'll use them for summer driving and longer trips.

Brian M

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Retired
The 30 mile hit on 20’s kinda hurts.

Also, do we know if this 314 is based on the truck being AWD or are they using the newly discovered 2WD conserve power mode?
Yes, that's a good question. Of course we hope that the EPA was with 4 motors, and with 2 motors it will be at least 10%-15% better. We should now more in a couple months with real world range tests using conserve mode driving at highway speeds.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

So maybe that 10% hit in range ends up being less valuable to people than the perceived difficulty in finding the tires for the 21 inch rims.
Yes, I’m in that camp.

Even if I wasn’t going off-road the negative (range reduction) of the 20” ATs means less to me than the negative (scarce replacement availability while traveling) of the 21” standard choice.

To my way of thinking, the range reduction is something I can and should plan for before it becomes an issue. This is a low stress problem.

Having to wait for one or more replacement tires in the middle of a trip isn’t something I can plan for* and if faced with the issue it’s going to be a high stress problem.

* I suppose I could buy an extra 21” tire or two and haul in the cargo area of my R1S but I lose a lot of utility. I could store extras in an external carrier of some sort but that would probably result in a range hit from increased drag. That range reduction could rival or exceed the loss from going with the 20” AT setup.

Zeroemit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 Hybrid
Yes, that's a good question. Of course we hope that the EPA was with 4 motors, and with 2 motors it will be at least 10%-15% better. We should now more in a couple months with real world range tests using conserve mode driving at highway speeds.
I would hope so, i was wondering the same as well. However, with ICE systems the difference between a 2WD Tacoma v 4WD has only a 1 mpg difference.

Hilbe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS P100D, Tesla MX 90D Unicorn, Rivian R1S
I added the spare tire so I'm not so worried about the 21 inch tires finding replacements on a trip. I am however worried about the situation when I hit 30 to 40k miles and they need to be replaced completely.

I swapped up to the 22 bright sports this morning. Will see if I stick with them. I might just get the max pack and 20s by the time my journey is done!!!
Sponsored