First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
It’s more the AT tires than the wheels themselves. If you put low rolling resistance tires on a set of 20s I guarantee you’ll see similar number to the 21s.
I'd expect better than the 21s results [5-10%]. The Taycan improved 10% by running the EPA test with 20s instead of 21s.
Sponsored

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Lexus GX460, Subaru Forester
Occupation
Engineer
I'd expect better than the 21s results [5-10%]. The Taycan improved 10% by running the EPA test with 20s instead of 21s.
Wow! How could they fit truck tires on a Taycan? Maybe jack it up a foot or two like you see on some of those 1990s caprice cars

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I have seen some anecdotal reports that the R1t was epa tested with a 1,500 pound payload. Can anyone confirm?

Mikers

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Landrover Discovery, 1974 Volkswagen Thing
That's actually really welcome news - I mean I'd go 2wd to eke out some extra miles if need be, so it's really good to hear that the testing was on quad motors.

Edit: good call on the potential 2wd + 20s theory for the MT review. Hey, if that's what it takes to get us to the magical 300 mile mark, I think that's totally fair. And if range is really super-important to you, then max out with 2wd on the 21s!
I talked to Rivian customer service a couple of months back about the tires. The guy I spoke to said that the 21"get better range partly because they have aerodynamic covers. Perhaps they will offer these for the 20s and that is one of the options? I do wonder whether the 20s would get similar range as the 21s with aero wheel covers and all season tires?

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I talked to Rivian customer service a couple of months back about the tires. The guy I spoke to said that the 21"get better range partly because they have aerodynamic covers. Perhaps they will offer these for the 20s and that is one of the options? I do wonder whether the 20s would get similar range as the 21s with aero wheel covers and all season tires?
The bright and dark rims do look to have larger faces, I wonder if they're any better than the first option with the thinner pattern.

Sponsored

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
Part of me is expecting them to do what Tesla has done - continue to optimize via software. Get a software download to jump it to 330 miles. Tesla has done that many times which is pretty awesome.
Tesla may giveth range, but they also take it away...

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

With these new numbers, can anyone come up with a reasonable guess as to the correct reference consumption to put into ABRP? For the “135kw” pack it still says 459 WH/MI @65 mph.
I’ve only just started fiddling around with ABRP yesterday, so I could be missing something. However, since the battery pack setting is fixed, I altered the Wh/mi number to .415 (135kWh/316mi = .415).

The 300mi+ option works perfect for my interstate travel needs. It’s the right size for traveling 2-3hrs at a time, which is the limit
for my toddler. It can also charge 60-70% in the same amount of time that the family needs/wants for bathroom breaks or eating —no snacks in dad’s new ride!

I plan to eventually fit a set of mild all-terrain tires (like Yokohama Geolandar G015) for improved mileage. They aren’t going to be rock crawlers, but they are great for rough roads, pavement, and snow. I have them on my LR3 and get 20+mpg highway, which is better than the EPA rating. I expect to maintain 316mi+ range with them on the R1S

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
With these new numbers, can anyone come up with a reasonable guess as to the correct reference consumption to put into ABRP? For the “135kw” pack it still says 459 WH/MI @65 mph.
Here's what I did....

Went to https://www.fueleconomy.gov/ and found the R1S. I then personalized the settings for 90% highway and it returned a value of 51 kWh per 100 miles or 510Wh per mile. There might be a better way but I feel like that gets me closer to reality.

Rivian R1T R1S ? Official EPA Range and MPGe Numbers for R1T & R1S mileage_R1S

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

How is 2 miles even relevant in a 300+ mile rating? That is easily inside the realm of measurement error.
That’s not the point I was making. If it’s not relevant then don’t bother making a remark

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Look. The Regen braking slows the car during city driving. There just isn’t enough there to add anything measurable. Zero help. It’s like a 6’’x6’’ solar panel to your roof. Is is collecting sunlight? I guess. Is it adding range to your truck? No.
This is measurably wrong. You can literally watch the Wh/mi fall noticeably when using regen frequently in a Tesla. The motors recapture up to 70% if the energy spent in accelerating to speed. This is extremely significant.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I have yet to see anyone rival Tesla in overall efficiency. I get there are many things that factor into it, but you look at the Rivian with a 135 KW pack - bigger than anything out there - and range isn't anything to brag about.
It will be interesting to see what the efficiency of the Tesla Cybertruck is, if they ever release it. Maybe Tesla has some secret sauce... Or maybe the CT efficiency doesn't match their sedans, either. (I'm guessing the latter)

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
The range is fine, but I’m a bit disappointed in the overall efficiency. Sad to see Rivian at the bottom of the efficiency list.
It’s the only pickup truck and it weighs 7000 lbs. We’ve known it would be in this ballpark literally the whole time (135/400=450 wh/mi). Large AT tires are a known mileage killer. The only news today is good news.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
When you crack your 21" or 22" wheel and sidewall on a rock or pothole, the EPA range estimate drops even more dramatically.
275/55R21 is the stock size for Rivian. That tire has a 6" sidewall according to tiresize.com

The Toyota Tacoma comes with a 265/60/R18 tire. That tire has a 6.3" sidewall according to the same website.

Do you really think 6" is not sufficient for potholes? Do you think that 0.3" is likely to make a significant difference for most people?

I think the 21's will do just fine for even neglected urban roads. The downside to the 21's, is really the odd size. It may be harder to find replacements, and they may be expensive since there isn't any competition.

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

After reading everyone's comments I'm thinking some of you won't be able to get out of your driveway, lol.

AT tires 15%
Tow full load 50%
Too cold or too hot 20%
Toys on the rack 20%

So looking at a 105% hit on range. Back to the drawing board Rivian!

This is a joke on the math don't @ me
Sponsored