Sponsored

Tall_Rider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban, Porsche 911
This is a tall truck, not a crappy tent- built tall sedan. There’s no way around physics. The efficiency is impressive for what it is.

Watch it. People on the Rivian reddit don't like this critical thinking.

I have yet to see anyone rival Tesla in overall efficiency. I get there are many things that factor into it, but you look at the Rivian with a 135 KW pack - bigger than anything out there - and range isn't anything to brag about. I was really hoping they had optimized the heck out of their battery/motor tech and would have done a bit more with that big of a pack.

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
I'm impressed they hit their targeted and advertised range. Like others have said this is not the most aerodynamic shape moving down the road. I feel this a great start for the official information everyone has been waiting for. s00n month is turning out to be pretty sweet ?

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer

Hilbe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS P100D, Tesla MX 90D Unicorn, Rivian R1S
I'm so far down the wait list I may just opt for the R1S max pack if it doesn't impact delivery date much.

Although assuming the 316 number is accurate, that is adequate for most road trips with kids. Every 2 to 3 hours bathroom break, diaper changes, snacks, etc. We do just fine with 250 miles max car right now.

Sponsored

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Am I missing something here? They're talking about the range of a "Large Pack". Doesn't that mean the base R1T only has a "Normal Pack"?
What are we getting? Did they even test the standard R1T?

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
I'm pleased with the official range numbers, and I plan on sticking with 21's. I figure it makes more sense to go with the included set and then possibly look at getting more aggressive tires and 20's in the future instead of spending more on the 20's and then trying (hoping?) to find something more efficient.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Kinda surprised by the negativity. If Rivian thought they could hit 325 or 350, then they would have advertised that and aggressively cut frunk grocery hooks and lights until they hit that target.

Instead, they promised 300 and delivered 300-330 depending on your mix of city/highway driving. That's practically the best-case scenario for what you should've been expecting (before they would've promised more), and a pretty good showing for a vehicle without a huge cache of user-data for them to use to inform their optimization efforts.

Their software can only get better (and it seems like having quad motors opens a lot of doors for optimization) and even if it did get worse, they're offering the best battery warranty in the business.

At this point, the generalized numbers outperform what they promised, the post-launch development seems promising, and we can only wait for real users to report on the metrics that matter for your use case (e.g. your mix of city/highway, speeds you drive at, effect of off-road, effect of tires, effect of accessories like the tent, effect of weather, and so on).

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

With these new numbers, can anyone come up with a reasonable guess as to the correct reference consumption to put into ABRP? For the “135kw” pack it still says 459 WH/MI @65 mph.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Lexus GX460, Subaru Forester
Occupation
Engineer
The range is fine, but I’m a bit disappointed in the overall efficiency. Sad to see Rivian at the bottom of the efficiency list.
I did not see that efficiency list. Is there another "almost" full size electric truck there with better efficiency?

Sponsored

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Lexus GX460, Subaru Forester
Occupation
Engineer
No, he's quoting RJ correctly. He said the R1S was more aerodynamic than the R1T. What I don't get is if the truck is more efficient, how does the SUV have 2 miles more range?
How is 2 miles even relevant in a 300+ mile rating? That is easily inside the realm of measurement error.

MattpR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
63’ Chevy Corvair, 75’ CB400 four
Will Rivian come out with some efficient 20" wheels as one of their options?

https://electrek.co/2021/01/21/2021-porsche-taycan-4s-gets-10-more-epa-range-we-tell-you-why/

Based on this, I'm definetily keeping my 20s and once it's time to replace them, depending on how I feel about range and battery degradation, I may do my own range improvement
It’s more the AT tires than the wheels themselves. If you put low rolling resistance tires on a set of 20s I guarantee you’ll see similar number to the 21s.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Awesome. Thanks!

I'm curious what the default usable is, and how they end up managing that for our "good behavior" (reading the tea leaves a bit there, i'm assuming it's based on managing degradation for each better pack).

well, apparently my CS rep cut through the delay the announcement of already announced 2WD and gave me the goods confirming the test was with AWD and 2WD is a conservation mode.
the CS I spoke with said Economy mode is not set in stone

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
the CS I spoke with said Economy mode is not set in stone
Wouldn't surprise me that they're still tweaking what they want to do with the specifics there. And I'm not sure CS has ever said anything is set in stone unless it's published on the website as "final".
Sponsored