First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Replacing 21s is going to be an awful experience. I would stick with 20s. If you don't like the range. When they are worn out, find something with less aggressive tread.
Sponsored

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE
So just so Iā€™m clear. Thatā€™s only 268 miles on range on a fully charged battery using the off road 20ā€™ā€™ tires? Is that correct?

and only 241 miles of range charged at 90%?

is this correct?
Iā€™ll fix this for you:
So just so Iā€™m clear. Rivianā€™s number came in 5% HIGHER than the target range of 300 miles?

and if I decide to use AT tires instead range is still 90-95% of the original target range?

This is great news.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
I donā€™t understand the motortrend review showed a Rivian with 20 inch wheels which had a 301 mile range in trip mode.
Weā€™re looking at 270 miles. What happened?

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
And I'm configured back to the 22's. These are EPA numbers, so should be in line with other manufactures, Tesla included. The EPA rules are what they are as others have argued ad nauseam.
So an honest question. If this is suppose to be an off road truck and the 20ā€™ā€™ tires are for off roading, and we know that 22ā€™ā€™ tires ride worse and are for street drivingā€¦ why would anybody get the 22ā€™ā€™ tires for an off reading type of truck?

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Iā€™ll fix this for you:
So just so Iā€™m clear. Rivianā€™s number came in 5% HIGHER than the target range of 300 miles?

and if I decide to use AT tires instead range is still 90-95% of the original target range?

This is great news.
Waitā€¦ 90-95%? Would t that be 85%-90%?

Sponsored

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner
Question - Does the EPA rating have to be based on how that model is spec'd? In other words, do we know if the 10-15% "range hit" on 20s is based on AT or AS tires? Maybe a 10% hit on AS and 15% hit on AT?

Like other I'm going to need to re-think the 20s

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
lots of posts on this, but Tesla does a 5 cycle test with the EPA that (in theory) should be more accurate. Because the EPA is a mixed cycle (even their highway test), it doesn't equate to going say... 70mph constantly. So Tesla's are known not to high their rated "range" on the highway. Other manufacturers use a less expensive and accurate test that has a fudge factor applied to it, and then they can also choose to de-rate the range. FOr example, Ford lowered the range from what the EPA would say on the Mach e. The Taycan is famous for this. EPA range of like 207 miles or something, but people routinely get 270 miles on the highwayl.
Rivian is also using the 5 cycle test.
And it appears the nominal battery capacity is 144 kWh (400V * 360Ah)
Official classification is "Part time 4-Wheel Drive".
No voluntary reduction of range is listed.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/epadata/22data.zip

weathermission

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.weathermission.com
Vehicles
2019 Ford Edge
Curious that the R1S is slightly less efficient than the R1T (assuming I'm reading the kWh/mi figures correctly). That must mean the battery pack in the R1S is slightly larger than what's in the truck.
1630700387765.png
RJ has said the aerodynamics of the R1S were better than the truck, hence a better range by a little.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Too bad there is such a drop with the 20s. But for 95% of our driving, it is perfectly fine. However having a range of 260-280mi (with 20s) and then towing on top of that (they warned up to 50% drop in range)..... That's 130-140mi towing range. Anyone planning to tow may want to stick with Max Packs only!
With battery degradation and real world driving conditions, we could be looking at a reduced range down to 200 miles. So thatā€™s only 100 miles each and arriving back at a scary zero on the gauge. Dam.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
So an honest question. If this is suppose to be an off road truck and the 20ā€™ā€™ tires are for off roading, and we know that 22ā€™ā€™ tires ride worse and are for street drivingā€¦ why would anybody get the 22ā€™ā€™ tires for an off reading type of truck?
Because like most American's who buy trucks, off-road vehicles, Range Rovers, etc....95% never leave the pavement.

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Based on the city vs. hwy table that @kanundrum just posted, it looks like the R1S does better on the highway, and the R1T does better in the city. And the official EPA numbers are based on 55% city and 45% hwy. So maybe that's the reason?
I was just told by Tesla that city stop and go uses way more energy than a constant freeway driving. I have found this to be true as well.

jagged

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick LaCrosse
Occupation
Principal Engineer
Clubs

I'm going to assume this is w/out the off-road upgrade package (tow hooks and additional reinforced underbody shielding)

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Because like most American's who buy trucks, off-road vehicles, Range Rovers, etc....95% never leave the pavement.
I get that and agree. Itā€™s just i see a lot of buyers here who talk about off roading. Max pack required in my opinion.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
RJ has said the aerodynamics of the R1S were better than the truck, hence a better range by a little.
He must have been confused. According to the EPA, the R1S is less efficient than the R1T.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
This was exactly what I was expecting, so I donā€™t see why some people seem so surprised. This is a great range for the wheel/tire combinations. Iā€™m sticking with my 20 inch wheels with the ATs, and if I ever need more range for some reason, that sounds like two wheel mode will help with some range. I bet you with software updates and calibrations will have increased range over the life of the car as well.

I could always buy a second set of tires with less aggressive treads on them, it might even beat the 21 or 22 inch ones
Sponsored