First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The eMPG efficiency seems pretty bad in comparison to Tesla. I might be going back to the 21s as many of us are considering.
dude. It's a truck. It's like twice the size of a tesla.
Sponsored

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Didn’t RJ say something about communicating the timing for R1S max pack about this time? Definitely switching my R1S to Max Pack.

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
Off to annoy CS with the 2wd question. wish me luck. lol.
Let us know what they say! I'm assuming the testing was done in the "Normal" mode and not the "Conserve" mode (2 WD).

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

*Dives back into the as still yet undecided wheel/rim selection*
Same! That drastic of a dip to the 20's definitely has me rethinking things.

Not sure why they hyped them up so much at their one event if they knew they would be this low?
Hoping to see some user reviews with real world numbers before having to make the final decision.

Sponsored

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
I thought 314 miles was great, until I saw the "10-15% reduction for the 20" all-terrains". That definitely makes me think about my choice to have those on my config.

A few questions/thoughts remain though for me:
  1. How does the "Conserve" drive mode (which shuts off 2 of the 4 motors) affect things?
  2. Do we think 314 is actually an underestimate, similar to Mach-E and Taycan's EPA estimates? Or an overestimate like all of Tesla's EPA estimates? We'll need people to run road trip tests to find out
  3. I'm interested to see if they can improve this over time with software updates. My guess is yes, definitely.
  4. I noticed they said specifically "Launch Edition" in their post. Wonder why? Would non-LE be expected to have different range? I wouldn't think there'd be any difference, but maybe they're thinking they're going to get rated again by the EPA for non-LE models based on any efficiency improvements they're planning.
Regardless, I just want over 300 miles usable real-world so I'm happy I'm going for the Max Pack.
Especially curious about you 1st question.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

FWIW everything could be super conservative unlike Tesla which over inflates their numbers. Its simply the type of testing involved. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were in the 330s but even if they aren't that is also fine as long as that charging curve isnt put shit lol.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
A little bright spot for those of us looking at the R1S... the site still has this.....

"After launch, we’ll announce the timing of our 250+ mile and longer range R1S, with seven seats.³"

Rivian R1T R1S ? Official EPA Range and MPGe Numbers for R1T & R1S RivianMileage

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Off to annoy CS with the 2wd question. wish me luck. lol.
Rivian R1T R1S ? Official EPA Range and MPGe Numbers for R1T & R1S 1630701872590

Rivian R1T R1S ? Official EPA Range and MPGe Numbers for R1T & R1S 1630701965437

You won't believe this, but I got a straight answer out of CS. Looks like some handcuffs are off them! Sweeeeeet. More details on those other options in the near future too.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Didn’t RJ say something about communicating the timing for R1S max pack about this time? Definitely switching my R1S to Max Pack.
If only there was ANY word on actual timing for a max pack on the R1S ?

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
On the pack size, here's a post I made a while ago relatively shortly after we got word of a new Samsung SDI cylindrical cell with 91% nickel content. These EPA numbers definitely suggest larger capacity that I expected.

EDIT: big mess up on my part: the EPA numbers are from the wall, so there’s probably ~10% energy lost there. With that correction, the original estimates for capacity are in the right range. ~135 kWh usable, 140-ish nominal capacity looks right.

On battery pack capacity...

1) Unless they've made a surprising change to their module and pack designs, we know they're using 864 cells per module and 9 or 12 modules for the "large" and "max" packs, respectively.
2) We know with certainty that they're using Samsung SDI cells.
3) Samsung introduced cylindrical NCA cells with 91% nickel just this month. The announcement indicated that those cells were already in production, and there's some evidence that they may indeed be the cells Rivian is purchasing: https://insideevs.com/news/513181/samsungsdi-cylindrical-nca-cells-91nickel/
4) Those Samsung cells are rated at 18.15Wh. 864 of them would make a module capacity of 15.68kWh. 9 modules would have a capacity of 141.1kWh, not 135. 12 modules would have a capacity of 188.2kWh, not 180.
There are few possible explanations for all of this: 1) The EPA numbers are conservative and my pack capacity numbers were pretty close to accurate 2) They're using more capacity than the published spec on those cells 3) They're using different cells than the public knows exist from Samsung SDI 4) The module configuration is different and they've got extra cells in each module or 5) They're using 10 modules instead of 9 for the "large" pack.

If it's #5, 10 modules would be 156.78kWh, which actually hits the target pretty close for backing out pack size from the efficiency and range #s the EPA shows. (49 Wh/mi * 316 miles for the R1S gives you 154.84 kWh usable).

Last edited:
OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

1630701872590.png

1630701965437.png

You won't believe this, but I got a straight answer out of CS. Looks like some handcuffs are off them! Sweeeeeet. More details on those other options in the near future too.

holy shit lol

Dr. Byrd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2001 Mustang GT convertible
Occupation
Professor, consultant, farmer
Only a 30-47 mile hit for 20 ATs? I was afraid it would be worse. I’ll take it. 95+% of my driving will be <100mi/day, so no worries. Besides, most of my efficiency will be out the window hammering 3.5 sec 0-60s for the first few months I own it anyway…

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

FWIW everything could be super conservative unlike Tesla which over inflates their numbers. Its simply the type of testing involved. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were in the 330s but even if they aren't that is also fine as long as that charging curve isnt put shit lol.
If it is EPA results, can you explain how Tesla could inflate those number? TIA
Maybe they are altering their software/battery available for the tests?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
holy shit lol
Putting a few things together. I suspect that "trip" mode from MT is 301 miles range in 2wd with the 20s.
Sponsored