First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Warning the following is wildly off topic and opinionated .
@TessP100D is mainly right the Prius was/ is horrible for EV adoption. It was a compromise, we hate compromises. Nobody wants to drive a Prius the same way we don't want to eat a kale and lemongrass smoothie (Drink?). The Prius was excellent at doing what it was designed to do. It also has greatly stereotyped what casual consumers think of when they think electric vehicles, a stereotype that is still trying to be shaken off today 20 years later. The fact is EV's, or hybrids for that matter don't need to be a Prius they can and should be model S and R1S that is to say something to aspire for not settle for.
I believe that is the turn off many have with the Prius not that it wasn't good at efficiently getting you to and from work in the suburbs.
Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
To be fair that "stereotype" is overly exaggerated. Out of the opinions regarding the Prius amongst them are -
"If you drive a Prius, you're gay"
"Prius is a wind-up toy"
"Driving one shrinks your balls worse than any steroid ever will." (<-- actual quote from several idiots on Facebook and other media sites).
"You female partner will leave you if you own a Prius"

and many other idiotic statements that people come up with vs accepting the fact that a Prius is a highly fuel efficient vehicle. People have strangely ridiculous opinions concerning things outside their comfort zone.

Revo

First Name
Revo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Occupation
Captain
Warning the following is wildly off topic and opinionated .
@TessP100D is mainly right the Prius was/ is horrible for EV adoption. It was a compromise, we hate compromises. Nobody wants to drive a Prius the same way we don't want to eat a kale and lemongrass smoothie (Drink?). The Prius was excellent at doing what it was designed to do. It also has greatly stereotyped what casual consumers think of when they think electric vehicles, a stereotype that is still trying to be shaken off today 20 years later. The fact is EV's, or hybrids for that matter don't need to be a Prius they can and should be model S and R1S that is to say something to aspire for not settle for.
I believe that is the turn off many have with the Prius not that it wasn't good at efficiently getting you to and from work in the suburbs.
How dare you insult kale and lemongrass they are not as bad as a prius....????

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Try calling your favorite tire store and asking what tires they have in stock for 21” wheels vs 20” wheels. Tires for 21” wheels are very likely a special order.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Try calling your favorite tire store and asking what tires they have in stock for 21” wheels vs 20” wheels. Tires for 21” wheels are very likely a special order.
While you're at it, ask them about what they have in stock that is 115H (or better) in a 275/65 R20 AT tire. For bonus points, ask if it designed for EVs.
You might find a few with All Season 275/60s, but unless you have already made the change to the smaller tire, you are then buying four.

Finding an in stock tire that you would really want to run long term in any of the wheel sizes at a local store is not going to happen. Tires in any size for the Rivian are going to be special order.

Sponsored

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
I read at the end "without touching a button". Either that means free charging for rivian(.5% chance of this happening) or auto pay from your car once charging is done as rivian can save our credit card details.

adobraak8

First Name
Ethal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic, Tesla
Occupation
SEO
Quote from Rivian's website: "our battery system was built to explore, delivering an EPA estimated 316 miles of range when paired with 21" wheels. For 20" wheels, our estimates show a range reduction of 10-15%, with a 5-10% reduction for 22" wheels."
Wow so we're looking at 268 to 284 miles on the 20s . wow

adobraak8

First Name
Ethal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic, Tesla
Occupation
SEO
Quote from Rivian's website: "our battery system was built to explore, delivering an EPA estimated 316 miles of range when paired with 21" wheels. For 20" wheels, our estimates show a range reduction of 10-15%, with a 5-10% reduction for 22" wheels."

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It's not known if its toward the Ford/VW side of the scale or Tesla. That 268-284 miles could be real world miles, understated or inflated by 15%. I can assure you I get no where near the EPA rating on my Tesla.

Last edited:

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I read at the end "without touching a button". Either that means free charging for rivian(.5% chance of this happening) or auto pay from your car once charging is done as rivian can save our credit card details.
Yes, I believe that means it will work like the Tesla Superchargers. You'll have a CC on file with Rivian and they will bill that automatically after each charge.

Sponsored

Brian M

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Retired
It's not known if its toward the Ford/VW side of the scale or Tesla. That 268-284 miles could be real world miles, understated or inflated by 15%. I can assure you I get no where near the EPA rating on my Tesla.
268-284 miles is based on 100% charge down to 0%. REAL WORLD is more like 80% (because the last 20% takes a long time to charge) to like maybe 10%. So you would be lucky to get 200 real world miles.

Reactions: Rad

Pugster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Ford F150
I’m curious to see the real world numbers. The Motor Trend videos definitely suggest over 300 (307?) on 20’s in conserve mode and damn near it in all around (293). I know none of those numbers are official but they are promising.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
268-284 miles is based on 100% charge down to 0%. REAL WORLD is more like 80% (because the last 20% takes a long time to charge) to like maybe 10%. So you would be lucky to get 200 real world miles.
Which is fair, I counted 100% of the capacity because in my use case a road trip is the only time I'd really care about range. My daily driving wouldn't be 200 miles and even if by chance it got close it'd be charged right back up to 80% over night. I'd love the extra miles but I'll hold off until some real world testing is done before tossing another $10k into the pot.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I’m curious to see the real world numbers. The Motor Trend videos definitely suggest over 300 (307?) on 20’s in conserve mode and damn near it in all around (293). I know none of those numbers are official but they are promising.
Yep! If with the Max pack one can still get 400+ miles in 'conservative mode' riding on the 20s, then I'll be sticking with them. If not, I'll be getting the 21s and buy a set of 20s for when I do plan to go off-road.
Sponsored