Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Have any 2021 preorder holder been notified or are we not there yet? I'm a sept 2021 and have not seena thing. I'm not surprised, just curious.
Non LE will be notified
"By the end of the year"
Sponsored

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Bronco Badlands
The S-1 amendment 3 states that they should have all preorder backlog complted by the end of 2023.

One of the earlier statements was end of 2022.
They won't. There is just no way they make 50K personal vehicles in the next 2 years. Just won't happen. Maybe not half that.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

They won't. There is just no way they make 50K personal vehicles in the next 2 years. Just won't happen. Maybe not half that.
Where are you getting those 'expectation' dates from?!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
You're wrong...

Sponsored

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Bronco Badlands
Where are you getting those 'expectation' dates from?!
The reality of lessons learned. Rivian is essentially only producing handmade prototypes at the moment and that's without making any R1S units. They'll need to average 1000 units a week for 2 years to get preorders out by end of 2023. It's kind of silly to think that's remotely possible.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

The reality of lessons learned. Rivian is essentially only producing handmade prototypes at the moment and that's without making any R1S units. They'll need to average 1000 units a week for 2 years to get preorders out by end of 2023. It's kind of silly to think that's remotely possible.
do we have another peashooter here?

"As of October 31, 2021, we had approximately 55,400 R1T and R1S"

"By the end of 2021, we intend to produce approximately 1,200 R1Ts and 25 R1Ss and deliver approximately 1,000 R1Ts and 15 R1Ss. "

"Based on our current production forecast, we expect to fill our preorder backlog of approximately 55,400 R1 vehicles by the end of 2023."

So as of Oct 31st, they would need to deliver 54400 vehicles in 2022 and 2023 to work through their backlog. Averaging 1000 units a week would be 49600 vehicles a year "(assuming 49.6 working weeks per year) ". Why would they need to produce 99200 vehicles to deliver 54400 preorders?

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
So as of Oct 31st, they would need to deliver 54400 vehicles in 2022 and 2023 to work through their backlog. Averaging 1000 units a week would be 49600 vehicles a year. Why would they need to produce 99200 vehicles to deliver 54400 preorders?
Math is hard. Especially when you're dealing with difficult numbers like 1000 per week.

I'm not going to dig it up, but wasn't there also something in the S-1 that said they should be at full production capacity in Normal (65K R1) by a certain date. Was it end of 2023?

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Math is hard. Especially when you're dealing with difficult numbers like 1000 per week.

I'm not going to dig it up, but wasn't there also something in the S-1 that said they should be at full production capacity in Normal (65K R1) by a certain date. Was it end of 2023?
as you could probably tell, I had the S-1 open already and at that section.

"Our target is to produce approximately 1,310 R1 vehicles a week, which when annualized (assuming 49.6 working weeks per year), equates to the current installed R1 platform capacity of approximately 65,000 R1 vehicles annually. "

"With respect to the RCV platform, our target is to produce approximately 1,710 commercial vehicles (including EDVs) a week, which when annualized (assuming 49.6 working weeks per year), equates to the current installed RCV platform capacity of approximately 85,000 vehicles annually. "

"We expect to reach a vehicle production rate, which, when annualized, would result in us using 100% of the facility’s current installed capacity of up to 150,000 vehicles by late 2023. "

Sponsored

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester & Legacy
R1T-ordered Sept 2019-Chicago

No email-chatted with customer service just now-the reply:

You have the Explore package. Everyone with the Explore or Adventure package will get an email by the end of this year with an updated delivery window!

Pathfinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Defender X-Dynamic
It’s interesting you say that. Our trip to Sedona renewed some of my enthusiasm for my R1S preorder (some amazing off-roading opportunities out there that my XC90 can’t handle nearly as well), but I too have lost lots of interest. That said, I can’t help but think about the hedonic treadmill and Eddie Murphy’s Saltine Cracker routine…at the end of the day it’s just a vehicle and most of us will eventually want the next shiny one…

NSFW video below…
Yeah, I'm not mad about the delays themselves, those happen with any major new product launch and with the pandemic it was more than expected. I placed my order over 2 years ago and while I think it's still impressive what they're doing/have done, the novelty has long since worn off and now I look at it as just a vehicle like you said.

Having owned an EV (Tesla Model 3) I'm no longer wowed by the instant torque, silent operation and other things that make an EV so great. That coupled with the fact that to me the design is now well over 2 years old it's lost its luster.

All of that aside the final death knell has been the truly abysmal communication strategy and how Rivian has handled that aspect of it. Again, it's more disappointing than angering. Now it's to the point that I don't trust the company and if/when we get the vehicles and say there's a major issue or problems, I don't have any faith they will be upfront, forthcoming and timely in fixes, communication, etc. They've burned me too many times with silence, CS reps who seem like great people but have no useful information or answers, or just blatantly not communicating until they had already blatantly missed milestones. I know that's mainly because they are hamstrung my corporate policies and an IPO, but that's what has led me to not even care about the vehcile at this point.

In some ways a large part of what I liked about Rivian early on was the (real and somewhat perceived) messaging that they weren't being like Tesla and over promising or making wild claims to generate buzz. It was refreshing to see their commitment and the energy, but all that has vaporized in the last year, again solely due to how they've handled (botched) the communications aspect of the delays to pre-order holders. It's still an awesome vehicle that is very capable, but anything that was new, exciting, refreshing, etc., about it is long gone.

I guess good things come to those who wait and for many of the pre-order holders who are still excited to get these vehicles I'm sure they will be pleased overall. I'm just no longer one of those people.

Rant over. :)

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Have any 2021 preorder holder been notified or are we not there yet? I'm a sept 2021 and have not seena thing. I'm not surprised, just curious.
No. only launch edition customers have been contacted. Non-LE Orders from 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 are all waiting to be contacted so it will probably be a few years until you hear anything.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I guess good things come to those who wait and for many of the pre-order holders who are still excited to get these vehicles I'm sure they will be pleased overall. I'm just no longer one of those people.

Rant over. :)
Makes sense. I think a lot of people are tired of waiting and staring at the same images of the truck for 3-4 years. And I look forward to more of them getting out of the way so I can get my truck sooner :p

GWNavigator

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Big SUV
Clubs

I’m one of the early 2019 preorderers who mistakenly assumed the 400+ mile battery pack R1T’s would start being delivered a short while after LE’s were being delivered, or maybe even (imagine this) in parallel to LE’s and other R1’s - T’s and S’s of various configurations. Hence the highly-configurable, direct to consumer, build-to-order business model they presented on the surface. For the next year or two it seems Rivian is just building these things to stock, taking the early Ford stance of - you can custom configure any Rivian you want and get it delivered as long as it’s a LE and preferably LE green. Now I’m thinking first-mile and even the configurator was premature. Pre-order should have established the queue then when your turn was up be given the actual options available or give up your place in the queue. Ok, rant over.
Sponsored