Sponsored

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
It's a battery supply constraint issue that's the cause. A better analogy is you are first, waiting for the train for 20 minutes and sit down. Meanwhile the platform fills up, the train comes, and it's full before you get on. You were there first, but your decision to stay seated (keep the max pack) made you miss the train.
Not really.

While you're sitting they didn't yell out "get up and get on or else we're leaving regardless of when you got here".

Rivian literally told people Max Pack First... But now its Max Pack last.

At no time was there any indication that they'd flip your priority, and more importantly you'd miss out on everything else that was offered (LE model).

Did Rivian ever say "order the large pack LE because we cannot guarantee you a vehicle if you don't for years to come"?

No, they didn't, again. I understand waiting, but from first to last is a bate and switch like no other.

They actually repeatedly said the opposite.

Now let's dig in to the spirit of whats going on here... All those early preorder holders, banging the 400 mile Rivian drum, stirring up interest and fan fair in the real.world and internet alike... We'll this is kinda the worst possible way to handle those peoples faith and trust in the brand.

I'm fairly confident (better then a 75% chance) Rivian will come through with some kinda of reprise for those who placed early orders and now are sent to the back of the line. I honestly feel they should do something special for people (almost 20% of their orders).

But Rivian needs to hear about early preorder holder disdain to make this happen.
Sponsored

cmiller

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Occupation
Nurse
sounds like the bronco reservation mess all over again

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
Some early 2022 Deliveries! My brother had an encounter with a Rivian employee near Minneapolis a few days ago. He said they had a nice conversation but the Rivian employee was tight-lipped about most everything (in jest he said, I could tell you more but would have to kill you..lol). One pearl my brother did get out of him was that 4 R1T's are getting delivered to MN customers the first week of January.

4209257d-adf2-4de0-9479-ab83f9dc873a.jpeg
Being in Minneapolis...holy smokes! Can't wait to see them around.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Or, and hear me out ...

UNDERSTAND that you have the option to w a i t for the Max Pack. I know patience isn't a virtue people like to indulge in, but it IS an option. Choice of getting the Large pack now or the Max Pack later is up to you. No one is coercing you not to wait. The only coercing here are peoples impulsiveness of wanting things right now.
Some of us have been, for quite some time, making do with vehicles that don’t meet our current needs as we wait for a Rivian.

It’s not *just* impatience about wanting a shiny new toy. There are legitimate needs people have, that their current vehicles may not meet, that come in to play when deciding to wait or not.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I'm fairly confident (better then a 75% chance) Rivian will come through with some kinda of reprise for those who placed early orders and now are sent to the back of the line. I honestly feel they should do something special for people (almost 20% of their orders).

But Rivian needs to hear about early preorder holder disdain to make this happen.
RJ addressed this issue in the email on Dec 28:

"To Max pack and Explore preorder holders who have been with us since 2018 and 2019 whose delivery windows may push into 2023 — we value your loyalty and commitment and will be reaching out to you in January to gauge your interest in reconfiguring to an Adventure Package with Large pack battery so that you can take delivery in 2022. "

Efudd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
sounds like the bronco reservation mess all over again
Unlike the Bronco mess, one doesn't have to wait 18 months after a reservation deposit to get their vehicle delivered to a dealership, then have that dealership mark up the price by $30k so they can sell it to someone else.

cmiller

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Occupation
Nurse
Unlike the Bronco mess, one doesn't have to wait 18 months after a reservation deposit to get their vehicle delivered to a dealership, then have that dealership mark up the price by $30k so they can sell it to someone else.
Yea many dealerships were took advantage of their customers. I lucked out and got my bronco for msrp. I am not a fan of dealing with stealerships

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Not really.

While you're sitting they didn't yell out "get up and get on or else we're leaving regardless of when you got here".

Rivian literally told people Max Pack First... But now its Max Pack last.

At no time was there any indication that they'd flip your priority, and more importantly you'd miss out on everything else that was offered (LE model).

Did Rivian ever say "order the large pack LE because we cannot guarantee you a vehicle if you don't for years to come"?

No, they didn't, again. I understand waiting, but from first to last is a bate and switch like no other.

They actually repeatedly said the opposite.

Now let's dig in to the spirit of whats going on here... All those early preorder holders, banging the 400 mile Rivian drum, stirring up interest and fan fair in the real.world and internet alike... We'll this is kinda the worst possible way to handle those peoples faith and trust in the brand.

To your point, quite correct. This was how we were greeted after placing preorders years ago. While I get people complaining about max pack people whining and how we should be patient and should have known. No offence but some of you placed orders in 2021 and are complaining about having to wait till next summer.

We'll get there, and I'm sure they'll do what they can to not make max pack early res holders feel left out in the cold. Really did suck when launch edition was released without max pack.

Rivian R1T R1S ? Update from RJ on production & deliveries -- via email letter 12/28/21 Screenshot_20211230-113145_Gmail

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
It's a battery supply constraint issue that's the cause......
While I don't doubt your quote above, RJ gave a different reason in his last update a few days ago (quote below). Battery supply constraint was not listed as an issue, but rather ramping up production and delivering more vehicles that would "have the largest possible positive climate impact."

Whether one believes his statement is entirely up to them. I suspect it was a good thing to say, main reason or not, especially after you've already satisfied your major stockholders by trying to ramp up production.

"In order to serve the largest number of preorder holders, we will be prioritizing building the Adventure Package with Large pack battery during the next year. Explore Package preorders and vehicles with a Max pack battery configuration will follow in 2023. In setting our delivery timing, we optimized our build sequence around the build combination that would support us ramping as quickly as possible and therefore have the largest possible positive climate impact."

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Some of us have been, for quite some time, making do with vehicles that don’t meet our current needs as we wait for a Rivian.

It’s not *just* impatience about wanting a shiny new toy. There are legitimate needs people have, that their current vehicles may not meet, that come in to play when deciding to wait or not.

And that's something EACH person investing into this should have expected. I get that everyone has specific needs, but contingency plans should be adhered in situations like this. I get it, and like the rest of you, I too have a long wait ahead of me regarding me getting my Rivian. I didn't expect me getting this vehicle any time prior 2025 and already have contingencies to meet that. Once such example is preparing to lease a vehicle for 3 yrs for when I give up on the Bolt I currently drive.

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21