First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
*sigh* we took the Volvo on its maiden voyage to VA over Christmas, and while the car performed just fine (29.8mpg), it's not big enough.

I was really hoping to not be in the Volvo NEXT Christmas too. Might have to get a placeholder to replace the placeholder. And all that's left that checks most of my boxes, is a Lincoln Aviator PHEV....
Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
If 80% of your orders are Large Packs, and 20% Max Packs, which Rivian by way of there 2023 BS is now coercing into changing to a large pack. This basically is making almost everyone go to a Large pack order, and if we're all going large pack (90+%), then I at the very least hope they'll let people who had extremely early 2018/2019 preordes move up in the delivery line based on the date of their preorder.
Or, and hear me out ...

UNDERSTAND that you have the option to w a i t for the Max Pack. I know patience isn't a virtue people like to indulge in, but it IS an option. Choice of getting the Large pack now or the Max Pack later is up to you. No one is coercing you not to wait. The only coercing here are peoples impulsiveness of wanting things right now.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I never got 275 miles range in my Tesla, despite it saying "275 miles" range.

I did have the 21" wheels though and I was a EV noob.

But what the hell... Getting the Large pack and having 315 miles of range will make driving exciting for me again.

And when I say exciting I mean potentially getting stranded with zero juice in the box.

All I'm hoping for is that in January when CS tries to get a hold of me they'll actually have someone call me on the phone and be able to at least at that point answer some basic questions for me.

If 80% of your orders are Large Packs, and 20% Max Packs, which Rivian by way of there 2023 BS is now coercing into changing to a large pack. This basically is making almost everyone go to a Large pack order, and if we're all going large pack (90+%), then I at the very least hope they'll let people who had extremely early 2018/2019 preordes move up in the delivery line based on the date of their preorder.

Otherwise it's just kind of a total slap in the face.
I agree on the point of the CS exchange meant to happen come January, I do hope we can get more than just a canned response or "Great question, we'll have more on that s...." it does seem as though they are trying to find some middle ground for the 18-19 holders.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Or, and hear me out ...

UNDERSTAND that you have the option to w a i t for the Max Pack. I know patience isn't a virtue people like to indulge in, but it IS an option. Choice of getting the Large pack now or the Max Pack later is up to you. No one is coercing you not to wait. The only coercing here are peoples impulsiveness of wanting things right now.
You're right... But look at it this way if you want a vehicle and put money down and Rivian keeps delaying your vehicle, but making different vehicles available they are likely going to have people cancel their preorders. Which is an choice I'll give you that.

But telling someone to wait is one thing, Rivian however is telling people "you're first" then immediately telling them nope "you're last". This is comparable to a train slowing down, vs same train stopping at a terminal, letting out it's passangers and then starting to move in reverse while you're still on board.

20% of preorder holders just got pushed further away from their R1T's.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
You're right... But look at it this way if you want a vehicle and put money down and Rivian keeps delaying your vehicle, but making different vehicles available they are likely going to have people cancel their preorders. Which is an choice I'll give you that.

But telling someone to wait is one thing, Rivian however is telling people "you're first" then immediately telling them nope "you're last". This is comparable to a train slowing down, vs same train stopping at a terminal, letting out it's passangers and then starting to move in reverse while you're still on board.

I’m hoping for two things:
one, that enough people get annoyed and cancel to significantly shorten the queue.
two, that by being near the back of the line, other people will have the bugs worked out before my R1T is delivered

Last edited:

Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
For those who are angry about how Rivian is handling deliveries, let me show you the current alternative, which is Ford. Ford is allocating a certain number of deliveries per dealership. So if a dealership gets 20 F150s allocated, and 21 people placed a reservation within the first 10 minutes, 1 person is out of luck for 2022. They are also allowing dealerships to prioritize a certain number of people. Some dealers are charging anywhere from 5k - 30k to add people to the priority list. So once again, you could have a reservation within the first 10 minutes, but someone pays more to bump you down in line.

Rivian isn't doing things perfectly, but they are trying their best at least. It could be a lot worse.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm

I do think Rivian has an obligation to do "something" extra for the 2018-19 Maxpack reservation holders. Rivian are the ones who listed Deliveries starting in January 2022 on the website. Someone here maybe it was you suggested that Rivian allow the early max pack reservation holders to have a second reservation with a similar time stamp as their first reservation to purchase a 300 mile pack now while keeping their place in line for a max pack in 2023. That seems reasonable and one of the few things that is do-able.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
I do think Rivian has an obligation to do "something" extra for the 2018-19 Maxpack reservation holders. Rivian are the ones who listed Deliveries starting in January 2022 on the website. Someone here maybe it was you suggested that Rivian allow the early max pack reservation holders to have a second reservation with a similar time stamp as their first reservation to purchase a 300 mile pack now while keeping their place in line for a max pack in 2023. That seems reasonable and one of the few things that is do-able.
I’d like a max pack but let’s be honest, if they had it ready they probably would have started with max. there is a supply issue, design issue and/or a margin issue.

the doing “extra” is eating cost increases that everyone has been seeing across pretty much all industries.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I’d like a max pack but let’s be honest, if they had it ready they probably would have started with max. there is a supply issue, design issue and/or a margin issue.

the doing “extra” is eating cost increases that everyone has been seeing across pretty much all industries.
Given that the max pack consumes ~30% more cells than a “large“ one, they can make 10 large packs for every 7 max packs. The minority of their order book is the bigger battery, so it’s poor resource allocation to build those first.

thinking about it there was a clue in plain sight all along. The launch edition isn’t available with the max pack.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Some early 2022 Deliveries! My brother had an encounter with a Rivian employee near Minneapolis a few days ago. He said they had a nice conversation but the Rivian employee was tight-lipped about most everything (in jest he said, I could tell you more but would have to kill you..lol). One pearl my brother did get out of him was that 4 R1T's are getting delivered to MN customers the first week of January.

Rivian R1T R1S ? Update from RJ on production & deliveries -- via email letter 12/28/21 4209257d-adf2-4de0-9479-ab83f9dc873a

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

It's a battery supply constraint issue that's the cause. A better analogy is you are first, waiting for the train for 20 minutes and sit down. Meanwhile the platform fills up, the train comes, and it's full before you get on. You were there first, but your decision to stay seated (keep the max pack) made you miss the train.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Some early 2022 Deliveries! My brother had an encounter with a Rivian employee near Minneapolis a few days ago. He said they had a nice conversation but the Rivian employee was tight-lipped about most everything (in jest he said, I could tell you more but would have to kill you..lol). One pearl my brother did get out of him was that 4 R1T's are getting delivered to MN customers the first week of January.

4209257d-adf2-4de0-9479-ab83f9dc873a.jpeg
Please tell me that's not a recent build. That hood alignment is shite.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Please tell me that's not a recent build. That hood alignment is shite.
I thought the same thing. The guy told my brother it's his company truck, doesn't actually own any vehicle.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I thought the same thing. The guy told my brother it's his company truck, doesn't actually own any vehicle.
A lot of the more recent pics look good. Hope its a non-issue by delivery time.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Great suggestion. 100% agree!
Sponsored