John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

Fair enough but the bottom line is I am being punished for the colors and configuration I have chosen. Rivian is using their methodology for Rivian and not the customers. And yes, I would not I order a flavor I dont want but would leave! This is not a mundane ice cream order but rather a huge investment. Thanks for your input though. JB
Sponsored

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

Curious to see how this all plays out. I haven’t seen anyone suggest it yet, so I will. I wonder if following the pricing debacle; if there’s really a significant cost implication to ocean coast and they’re trying to drive people away from it, with the intention of cancelling it all together once they thin the herd.
I expressed similar sentiments to my guide that having been given the opportunity last month to switch to BM and not taking it (strike one!) and now having this news and once again being told that if i switch to BM now, i'd probably get my R1T within weeks (strike two??) and worrying about that final curve ball if i pass on these first two strikes and get caught looking at a changeup for strike three and I end up on the bench wishing i'd at least taken a swing. Then again, if OC comes through in the fall and i'm one of very few left with Launch Edition, Launch Green then it may be a home run. (sorry for all the baseball analogies, but i feel like a batter waiting on the next pitch and hoping i don't get hit with another fastball).

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

Not quite accurate. More like them saying we're out of vanilla, but it shouldn't be long till we have more. Then them constantly saying, it's still being made, still on track to be ready soon. Then hours later telling you, jk, it's going to be days till it's ready.

Had they been more transparent up front, I wouldn't have waited around for hours and would've happily taken chocolate.
Perhaps…so change the analogy a bit, they tried to talk you into chocolate instead multiple times but you didn’t listen, so they have now made it clear that they f’d up the vanilla. So you can choose to eat the chocolate out of the waffle cone you wanted, wait a few more hours for vanilla, or leave. But you only get to be a Kvetch if you leave. Otherwise suck it up, buttercup.

JOSH565

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 BMW 550i/ 97 Land Rover Range Rover/ 21 MachE
Occupation
Maintenance
Clubs

Another Hawaii preorder! Right on! I actually have an 8/2020 R1T preorder for my primary residence in Phoenix, and an 11/2021 R1S preorder for my second home in Kona, where I am now and where I am about every 4-6 weeks

R1T would have only 3 inches of clearance in my Kona garage, so we ordered an R1S for Hawaii.

Both have OC interiors configured and I’m not switching because both cars will be in warm climates and I personally don’t care for the FE (and won’t pay extra for it)

I’m guessing the R1S for Hawaii - especially being on an outer island (which means limited to no service) with an OC configuration - will be delivered in late 2024. I’m currently allegedly 2nd half of 2023 for the Hawaii R1S. I’m not holding my breath.

Hopefully my Max pack R1T order with OC on the mainland is not too delayed. Regardless, I’m planning to wait it out for now.

CS informed me what seems like a year ago that deliveries would be based on some secret sauce of date of order, configuration, and geographic location. This news isn’t surprising to me at all unfortunately. The sooner that Rivian can manufacture and get cars on road the better it’ll be for the company’s bottom line and early viability.
Have you heard anything in regards to a service center in Hawaii yet?

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
Clubs

Fair enough but the bottom line is I am being punished for the colors and configuration I have chosen. Rivian is using their methodology for Rivian and not the customers. And yes, I would not I order a flavor I dont want but would leave! This is not a mundane ice cream order but rather a huge investment. Thanks for your input though. JB
I think that if one were to take this attitude in life, they would be a perpetual victim. We rarely get exactly what we want, exactly when we want it in life. Not being punished, it’s just life.

I completely get holding off for what you want though, I would do the same. You are correct that this is a much bigger decision than ice cream, I wouldn’t compromise if I planned on owning for 3+ years. It’s worth the wait to get what you want. Even if glacier white w/FE is delayed, I will hold out for it. I just don’t think making a scene about it or saying I’m being punished for my preference is any way to get through life.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
You aren’t being punished, that’s a bit much. But if you don’t like it you should leave and take your business elsewhere. You are under no obligation to buy a truck from Rivian.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Punished??? They aren’t intentionally delaying your configuration by choice, they literally can’t make it because they don’t have the materials.

I don’t know what you think they’re supposed to do in this situation, but they’re not punishing you by making cars with what they have on hand, and giving you the opportunity to change to an in-stock configuration.

Curney1

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram truck
Occupation
Self
Curious to see how this all plays out. I haven’t seen anyone suggest it yet, so I will. I wonder if following the pricing debacle; if there’s really a significant cost implication to ocean coast and they’re trying to drive people away from it, with the intention of cancelling it all together once they thin the herd.
I was thinking this...what if we wait till fall and then we cant get it anyway. I changed to FE this morning.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
I’ll throw another mind boggling frustration out there.

This latest delay and comms curveball is not caused by incredibly finite product such as semiconductors or battery cells. It’s freaking Naugahyde and soft woods.

toade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
Perhaps…so change the analogy a bit, they tried to talk you into chocolate instead multiple times but you didn’t listen, so they have now made it clear that they f’d up the vanilla. So you can choose to eat the chocolate out of the waffle cone you wanted, wait a few more hours for vanilla, or leave. But you only get to be a Kvetch if you leave. Otherwise suck it up, buttercup.
Me personally, they didn't try talking into anything. And plenty of others, they told vanilla should be ready within the hour... but then at the last minute told them, psych, vanilla is weeks away.

Had they just said up front, that vanilla was weeks away, plenty of people would have happily taken chocolate.

Sponsored

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
All these ice cream analogies are making me want ice cream now….and I’m usually not a fan of sweets. Haha

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I originally chose OC but recently switched to beautiful FE. The interior is where you spend your time so I splurged for the $2k option. I was a bit concerned about the OC light fabric and wood showing dirt and stains over the years.

Rivian R1T R1S 📥 New Rivian email: production sequence adjustments to maximize production output in spite of supply challenge 232DFBDE-8D39-4D17-BD67-71C5C0179E8E

Rivian R1T R1S 📥 New Rivian email: production sequence adjustments to maximize production output in spite of supply challenge 9CF614C0-6149-49E4-A9D2-D88B496B2393

Last edited:

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
Clubs

Me personally, they didn't try talking into anything. And plenty of others, they told vanilla should be ready within the hour... but then at the last minute told them, psych, vanilla is weeks away.

Had they just said up front, that vanilla was weeks away, plenty of people would have happily taken chocolate.
I can appreciate your position. I am also starting to crave an ice cream cone. Off to the ice cream shop…I hope they have vanilla.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
FE on CY, that's a brave soul
Sponsored