Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I don’t think the email tells us anything we did not already know. Our position in line is and has been dynamic and will change as folks change their configuration to match what is available to get their R1s sooner.

If Rivian follows through we should know in a few weeks what our new delivery window is.

Rivian is just trying to maximize production while managing the parts supply issue.
It absolutely did tell us something we did not already know. This is an official delay for OC deliveries. There was speculation and contradictory reports before this, but this makes it official.

And yes, it is a delay when you're reaffirmed multiple times by a guide no less that your vehicle is on track for an April/May delivery window, and then you're told your configuration won't start production until Fall.
Sponsored

JOSH565

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 BMW 550i/ 97 Land Rover Range Rover/ 21 MachE
Occupation
Maintenance
Clubs

It's not just configuration, but delivery location. I'm sure there's a lot of other logistics at play, as well.
I agree, I'm in Hawaii, no service center I'm aware here yet. Pretty sure I will be waiting till late next year, no matter my configuration,

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
It absolutely did tell us something we did not already know. This is an official delay for OC deliveries. There was speculation and contradictory reports before this, but this makes it official.

And yes, it is a delay when you're reaffirmed multiple times by a guide no less that your vehicle is on track for an April/May delivery window, and then you're told your configuration won't start production until Fall.

Adding to this, I believe they mocked the forum for saying that OC was delayed. “Don’t believe the forums” and, here we are, right again and nearly all the guides and all the CS were wrong.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I agree, I'm in Hawaii, no service center I'm aware here yet. Pretty sure I will be waiting till late next year, no matter my configuration,
Another Hawaii preorder! Right on! I actually have an 8/2020 R1T preorder for my primary residence in Phoenix, and an 11/2021 R1S preorder for my second home in Kona, where I am now and where I am about every 4-6 weeks

R1T would have only 3 inches of clearance in my Kona garage, so we ordered an R1S for Hawaii.

Both have OC interiors configured and I’m not switching because both cars will be in warm climates and I personally don’t care for the FE (and won’t pay extra for it)

I’m guessing the R1S for Hawaii - especially being on an outer island (which means limited to no service) with an OC configuration - will be delivered in late 2024. I’m currently allegedly 2nd half of 2023 for the Hawaii R1S. I’m not holding my breath.

Hopefully my Max pack R1T order with OC on the mainland is not too delayed. Regardless, I’m planning to wait it out for now.

CS informed me what seems like a year ago that deliveries would be based on some secret sauce of date of order, configuration, and geographic location. This news isn’t surprising to me at all unfortunately. The sooner that Rivian can manufacture and get cars on road the better it’ll be for the company’s bottom line and early viability.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

These times are difficult for all, not just auto makers. Couldn't even order my mother in law hiking boots in her size the other day from really anywhere.

That said, I'm in a perpetual limbo with my build. What was once years ago, a first model off the line, snowballs further and further down. Will Max pack be curbed to prioritize standard 250 pack because they can build nearly 2 instead of 1 with the same cells?

It's hard to see (not taking away from the forum members excitement as I feel it too for them) someone whom has ordered literally years after me, to have already taken delivery likely a year, maybe 2 before me, is pretty damn frustrating.

But here I'll continue to wait, becuase "What the hell else am I gonna do?"

Cool question, by the time I get my 2019 preorder, how many people will have already taken delivery, flipped the vehicle, then taken delivery again?
Standard pack uses cells with different chemistry. It's probably otherwise identical to a Large pack if I had to guess.

Sponsored

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I didn’t receive this email so I’m going to assume my Q4 delivery window is going to slip to 1H23 as folks change configurations to take advantage of batching. On the plus side I can stop obsessing over exterior color choices as that’s likely up to the timing my eventual guide provides.

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
I feel like I'm back in college and attending psychology 101. Being forced to partake in a social experiment for the class. I prefer the OC mostly due to my mustang mache with the space gray interior that I love. What decision do I make and why...

Option1: business decision. Keep OC interior. I have a 21 Mache I love and don't really need the truck per se. It would make more financial sense to continue to pay on the Mustang for equity when I trade in while waiting for the OC interior. I love the Mustang and the only reason I'm getting rid of it because it's not a truck. I also plan/worry it won't be delivered until the 1st quarter of 23.

Option 2: keeping up with the Jones. I change to BM to keep close to my original delivery date. On the other hand I am jealous other people have their truck and it would be nice to have the truck and be a member of the few owners. I also allowed myself to have a little bit of hope to having one in late June (my window).

And for the record ...as of 10:12 EST on 4/25...I changed to BM 😔

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Shocking that a new company with a new product is having some issues getting them into customers hands. I get it, frustrating however you can't now complain about lack of communication as well. I know maybe they should deliver OC interior, have unhappy customers complaining about quality and on the forums, that would work well too.

I guess we should all be happy there aren't stories about bumpers falling off, or rust on the body work, be positive not negative. None of our complaining about delivery stuff will fix anything.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
If the same supplier is making all color options of the wood and they are struggling with the light wood, then this makes sense. Maybe they can produce 3 BM or FE wood pieces for every OC wood piece. Or maybe they’re scrapping 75% of their OC pieces due to QC issues. From a manufacturing/investor standpoint, then this makes sense to delay OC. Pump out as much as they can now then have the supplier dial in the OC wood over time.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

It just seems the easy solution for the OC interior is to give buyers the option to change to the wood veneers offered in the black and green interiors. I believe most would agree that the majority of OC buyers would jump at that. I think the wood trim is the weakest design aspect of OC.

I’m all for almost anything that gets a truck in my garage sooner, but I’d rather not see other people getting screwed over to get it done.

Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
After following the advice here and the fact that my husband and I are expanding our family(currently one toddler another on the way), we thought it was best we get black mountain interior instead of ocean coast. I hope switching will move us up in que.
I finally bit the bullet and switched to BM. At least now it seems they may hit my delivery window of May-June. I ordered almost three years ago in May 2019.

In NY Metro area. If I were in the South I don't know what I would do.

I read OC available later this Fall to mean, pre further delays, up to December 20.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Seemed like a positive email to me. They are expediting the trucks they can make right now.

I have a July-September delivery window and when I get a guide they will have a clearer picture of inventory and if I want to get a truck sooner than later they will know what combinations are available for VIN assignment. There are 3 exterior colors I like and I like both the standard 20 wheels and the black 20. I can stop looking at the configurator and just see what’s available when my number comes up. Seems good to me.

Patience resumes.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
What I don't understand and doesn't pass a logic test is why are they building and shipping adventure trims?

The only way this makes sense (as at least one other person alluded to) is if they are at the tail end of LE production and need to fill out the batch w/ some adventure rigs. I'm 99% sure that's not the case as there are a lot of LE folks still waiting on contact.

If they were really optimizing they'd ship every launch green truck they have an order for, then they'd never have to go back to that color again. Then they'd go through and batch the other colors - but those batches should all be LE until they get to a point where they can't fill a batch with LE orders.

This idea that somehow they are optimizing to ship more trucks by tossing in adventure trims doesn't pass the giggle test.

What am I missing?
There were plenty of early preorders that missed the launch edition order window, so I get those customers receiving trucks earlier, but that doesn't seem to be the case entirely.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
I don't necessarily agree that Adventure package should be built alongside LE. If they are at the end of LE production, then I get it. If there are Rivian Blue/Black Mountain R1T's being produced and ALL of the LE in that config have been completed, then sure add the Adventure while the paint is still ready. But, I doubt they are doing that. We have already seen at least one Glacier White/Black Mountain Adventure R1T delivered. This would tell me that ALL of the Glacier White/Black Mountain LE versions have been built.

So much for Launch Edition getting priority delivery!
So .... RJ backed off of the price increase because customers felt that there was a contract price in place (when there really was none).

Now ... Launch Edition folks are going to get their vehicles at the same time (or possibly after) Adventure people (like me) are going to get their vehicles ... when "priority delivery" is ACTUALLY in writing from Rivian?

I don't even want to categorize how bad that seems.

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
Seems logical that, if you are willing to take whatever is going to get you a truck sooner, you should track the adventure packages that are delivering to see what patterns emerge and switch your configuration accordingly.
Sponsored