First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction Cost Consultant
Rivian R1T R1S 📥 New Rivian Email: A follow-up to our last note B64EF944-07D8-426E-B3D1-A926772DD577

On Monday, we emailed several updates to the Rivian community. After hearing from preorder holders throughout the week, we thought it’d be helpful to follow up on some of the questions we’ve received most frequently at our Customer Engagement Center.
Monday’s email mentions that you’ll be reaching out to see if I’m “flexible” on my configuration. To help me decide, when can I expect my updated delivery timing?

We’re excited to share some of our nearest build combinations and capture your flexibility and interest in the survey we mentioned previously. Right now, that outreach is planned for May. If you’re willing to shift certain options, you may be able to take delivery sooner. If you’d rather stick to your original configuration, then no action is required on your part — we’ll simply continue to update you on your estimated delivery timing.

And as a reminder, we plan to share refreshed delivery window estimates with all preorder holders via email in the coming weeks.
Why is Rivian prioritizing Black Mountain and Forest Edge interiors?

By simplifying production to focus on these two interiors, we can help mitigate supply chain pressure and simultaneously move faster on the assembly line. As shared earlier this week, prioritizing Black Mountain and Forest Edge interiors will allow us to produce and deliver the most vehicles as quickly as possible.

We also shared that the lighter wood trim of Ocean Coast is harder to process. Because we’re committed to consistency in quality across every step of our manufacturing, Ocean Coast will begin delivering in the Fall — we know how many of you are excited about this interior option and want to make sure what we deliver reflects what you saw and ordered in configurator.
I configured with Ocean Coast. Should I switch to Black Mountain or Forest Edge for an earlier delivery?

We encourage you to configure the exact R1T or R1S you want- but if speed of delivery is your priority, switching to Black Mountain or Forest Edge may improve your vehicle’s delivery window.

We now anticipate Ocean Coast deliveries to begin in the Fall.
Can I mix and match interior colors and wood trims?

We love the creative problem-solving from our community but, at this time, we are focused on removing complexity from our production sequence rather than adding it. By concentrating on the two interiors currently available and batching them in production, we can deliver more vehicles more quickly.

But as a reminder, we'll be reaching out in May to gauge your flexibility on other parts of your configuration in case there are opportunities to match you to a vehicle sooner.
If I switch from Ocean Coast to Forest Edge or Black Mountain, will I receive some sort of credit or discount?

We won’t be discounting the pricing for any of our interior options. Our hope is that sharing the revised timeline for Ocean Coast helps preorder holders make the best decisions for them. If speed of delivery is most important to you, consider switching to Black Mountain or Forest Edge. But if Ocean Coast is truly the interior you want, sit tight- the wait will be worth it.
I have a Launch Edition preorder. How do these production updates affect me?

Launch Edition preorder holders still enjoy the benefits that come with being our earliest customers. These orders include priority delivery, access to our exclusive Launch Green exterior color, and certain wheel upgrades offered at no additional cost.
When will I be able to see my delivery window on my Account Page?

To get you a refreshed delivery window estimate as soon as possible, we’ll be sharing the next round of updates via email. We're excited to launch the Account Page feature in the coming months, but until then, we’ll make sure you have the latest in your inbox.

Thank you all for sharing where you’re flexible, for your ideas and for letting us know where we can shed more light on what Rivian is up to!

Keep telling us know what’s on your mind — we're always here to support.

See you next week.

Tony Caravano
Head of Customer Engagement
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

On Monday, we emailed several updates to the Rivian community. After hearing from preorder holders throughout the week, we thought it’d be helpful to follow up on some of the questions we’ve received most frequently at our Customer Engagement Center.
Monday’s email mentions that you’ll be reaching out to see if I’m “flexible” on my configuration. To help me decide, when can I expect my updated delivery timing?

We’re excited to share some of our nearest build combinations and capture your flexibility and interest in the survey we mentioned previously. Right now, that outreach is planned for May. If you’re willing to shift certain options, you may be able to take delivery sooner. If you’d rather stick to your original configuration, then no action is required on your part — we’ll simply continue to update you on your estimated delivery timing.

And as a reminder, we plan to share refreshed delivery window estimates with all preorder holders via email in the coming weeks.

By simplifying production to focus on these two interiors, we can help mitigate supply chain pressure and simultaneously move faster on the assembly line. As shared earlier this week, prioritizing Black Mountain and Forest Edge interiors will allow us to produce and deliver the most vehicles as quickly as possible.

We also shared that the lighter wood trim of Ocean Coast is harder to process. Because we’re committed to consistency in quality across every step of our manufacturing, Ocean Coast will begin delivering in the Fall — we know how many of you are excited about this interior option and want to make sure what we deliver reflects what you saw and ordered in configurator.
I configured with Ocean Coast. Should I switch to Black Mountain or Forest Edge for an earlier delivery?

We encourage you to configure the exact R1T or R1S you want- but if speed of delivery is your priority, switching to Black Mountain or Forest Edge may improve your vehicle’s delivery window.

We love the creative problem-solving from our community but, at this time, we are focused on removing complexity from our production sequence rather than adding it. By concentrating on the two interiors currently available and batching them in production, we can deliver more vehicles more quickly.

But as a reminder, we'll be reaching out in May to gauge your flexibility on other parts of your configuration in case there are opportunities to match you to a vehicle sooner.
If I switch from Ocean Coast to Forest Edge or Black Mountain, will I receive some sort of credit or discount?

We won’t be discounting the pricing for any of our interior options. Our hope is that sharing the revised timeline for Ocean Coast helps preorder holders make the best decisions for them. If speed of delivery is most important to you, consider switching to Black Mountain or Forest Edge. But if Ocean Coast is truly the interior you want, sit tight- the wait will be worth it.

Launch Edition preorder holders still enjoy the benefits that come with being our earliest customers. These orders include priority delivery, access to our exclusive Launch Green exterior color, and certain wheel upgrades offered at no additional cost.

To get you a refreshed delivery window estimate as soon as possible, we’ll be sharing the next round of updates via email. We're excited to launch the Account Page feature in the coming months, but until then, we’ll make sure you have the latest in your inbox.

Thank you all for sharing where you’re flexible, for your ideas and for letting us know where we can shed more light on what Rivian is up to!

See you next week.

Tony Caravano
The Customer Engagement team should be applauded for supplementing updates with FAQs. This is a customer engagement best practice!

Similarly, their FAQ videos via Instagram featuring Rivian employees are accomplishing the same kind of thing!

Well done.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

IMO Tony's Monday email was clear but this email does indicate that Rivian does respond to folks questions and concerns. Two emails in 5 days, almost too much communication (not really).

As I have posted before I think communication is an issue but the real problem, which Rivian has little control over, is the 84% of pre orders that will not be delivered by the end of 2022. Out of 83,000 pre orders only 13,000 - 14,000 R1s will be delivered by the end of 2022. Parts supply being the root cause for the low production.

Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Glad to hear about the delivery window update coming. Account tool would be better but it will be good to have something at least.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Communications continues to be a conspicuous weakness at Rivian. Surely they could go one or two reviews of an email before hitting send?

p.s. interesting "code brown" motif to the Rivian logo … subconscious reaction to seeing $RIVN at $29? (that was certainly my reaction …)

Rivian R1T R1S 📥 New Rivian Email: A follow-up to our last note 1651282944265

bwoodahl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo V60 Polestar
Hi Brian,

See you next week.

Tony Caravano

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
"Monday’s email mentions that you’ll be reaching out to see if I’m “flexible” on my configuration. To help me decide, when can I expect my updated delivery timing?"
Wow.. they just continue to fumble their way through comms making less and less sense each time. Doesn't anyone proofread this stuff before hitting "send"?

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

Wow.. they just continue to fumble their way through comms making less and less sense each time. Doesn't anyone proofread this stuff before hitting "send"?
Read all the questions again. They're paraphrased quotes from the perspective of the people who originally asked them. Should then make sense that it's not a proofreading error.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Yo Tony,

How about you tell me what vehicle is already assembled, sitting on the lot, and might otherwise not have anyone’s name on it, and I’ll take that one?

My wife is leaving me next week, the dog died last month, and I need to buy a Rivian before my kids find out they no longer have a college fund. Birthday is June 1.

Thank you,

Moose

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
You might want to read the email again before throwing stones.

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
Rivian gets a lot of heat from...everyone, but I do respect their attempts at communication since the price raise debacle. I've gotten more emails from Tony in the past two months than I have from Tesla since I reserved my Cybertruck in 2019.

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
You might want to read the email again before throwing stones.
I agree that it’s fairly straightforward communication. Not a whole lot that is new, but a few tidbits here and there:
- No mixing Forest Edge wood with Ocean Coast trim (or other mix and match combos)—makes total sense from a production simplicity standpoint.
- No discounting of Forest Edge if you switch to that to get earlier delivery—not surprising (Black Mountain is always an option at no cost if early delivery is the main objective)
- Updated delivery window will come via email before it’s included in the Account Page—at least we can now stop checking the Account Page on a daily basis in the hope of learning more about delivery timing

Other than that not much that is new, but hey, I’ll take this email rather than radio silence any day of the week.
Sponsored