Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Rivian posted this today.

October 3, 2022

Rivian Automotive, Inc. (NASDAQ: RIVN) today announced production totals for the quarter ending September 30, 2022. The company produced 7,363 vehicles at its manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois and delivered 6,584 vehicles during the same period.

These figures remain in line with the company’s expectations, and it believes it is on track to deliver on the 25,000 annual production guidance previously provided.
Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Rivian increased production 67% in Q3 to 7,363 vehicles. To hit its target of building 25K vehicles this year, it will need to increase production 45% in Q3 to at least 10,687 vehicles.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Wow. that's a lot of vehicles pending delivery. Gonna be some happy order-holders this month (October)!
Keep in mind that Rivian does not break out product mix. Those pending includes EDV for Amazon.

Recalling the comments made during the last earnings call, second shift was added at the of August/early September so increasing production for the whole quarter probably will get you around 10K vehicles making the total for the year around 25K.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Wow. that's a lot of vehicles pending delivery. Gonna be some happy order-holders this month (October)!
Looks like I might be one of them! Just got off the phone with my Guide. Truck is in Normal, and should know EOW if it ships. I’m in the bay area CA, so 4 weeks by train followed by QA …

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

That doesn't make sense. My truck was built at the end of July and the VIN is 9800. Haven't we seen R1Ts with VINs in the 11000 range?

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
That doesn't make sense. My truck was built at the end of July and the VIN is 9800. Haven't we seen R1Ts with VINs in the 11000 range?
I thought its into the mid 12's?

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
There were many pre-prod VINs that won't count within those numbers, probably a few thousand in total.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

So, if I am tracking 2022 Correctly:

Q1: 2553
Q2: 4401
Q3: 7363

We're at 14,317 vehicles so far, so they need to pump ~11K out in Q4

Considering a decent amount of the 3k increase from Q2 to Q3 came from adding a second shift - this means they need CONSIDERABLE process/efficiency gains on the lines to get another 4k over Q3 numbers out. Unless they're looking at adding a 3rd shift very soon? Getting what, a 66% increase in just straight line efficiency (really more as it's a ramp over time so december production would need to be significant;y above that mark to compensate for October being below it) is a pretty tall task. I think they will come close, but I suspect a 22-23k number at EoY- which I still think is great, I wouldn't complain - but wall street... if they hit 24,999 it will be a "massive miss" all over the press which is just dumb.

It's good that Rivian is still confident though, who knows, maybe they know something we don't

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

damn, this guy is good at what he does. its no wonder he gets millions of views.
I thought its into the mid 12's?

Nevermind, Rivian built 7363 IN the 3rd Quarter.. So that would be in addition to what they've built in the 1st and 2nd quarter..

Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations

Considering a decent amount of the 3k increase from Q2 to Q3 came from adding a second shift - this means they need CONSIDERABLE process/efficiency gains on the lines to get another 4k over Q3 numbers out. Unless they're looking at adding a 3rd shift very soon? Getting what, a 66% increase in just straight line efficiency (really more as it's a ramp over time so december production would need to be significant;y above that mark to compensate for October being below it) is a pretty tall task. I think they will come close, but I suspect a 22-23k number at EoY- which I still think is great, I wouldn't complain - but wall street... if they hit 24,999 it will be a "massive miss" all over the press which is just dumb.

It's good that Rivian is still confident though, who knows, maybe they know something we don't
FWIW, Rivian has said over and over again, their observed run rate is much higher than the production numbers indicate. They've said more than a few times that they stockpile components and run the line in pushes to observe what they are capable of re: production run rate. For all we know some of the supply chain issues are alleviating. Rivian has also commented that a 3rd shift is coming in Q4.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Supply chain overall is really improving. Shipping costs from China are much less than a year ago. So Rivian may finally have predictability in receiving parts. I assume actual assembly has never been the bottleneck.

Ging from 7K to 100K in Q4 should normally be very doable. They have been at for a year.

OP
OP
SANZC02

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Don’t forget about the separate EDV line, up until middle of 3rd qtr they were not building EDVs at scale. The 2nd R1 shift did not start until late in September. To get the 10k by end of the year they just need 5k off of each line. Based on the 3rd qtr numbers unless they run short on supplies seems like they could beat those numbers pretty easily.

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
Supply chain overall is really improving. Shipping costs from China are much less than a year ago. So Rivian may finally have predictability in receiving parts. I assume actual assembly has never been the bottleneck.

Ging from 7K to 100K in Q4 should normally be very doable. They have been at for a year.
Going from 7k to 100k in Q4 would indeed, be impressive 😄

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Supposedly a 3rd shift is coming on line s00n, hope build quality doesn't get any worse....
Sponsored