Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
What are the implications of living in a "Restricted State" (p. 139)? Is it likely that the list of full-approval states will be the first to receive deliveries?
I just don't think that is the case because one of the service centers is NY, and NY is a partially restricted state. I read the prospectus to say in that case, u have to order online and they deliver.

The 8 or so fully restricted states seem trickier.
Sponsored

phil.hansen3

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4-runner
I love you all dearly but you folks depressed about not making F1 speed level pit stops on your bi- weekly cross continent trips need to move closer to where you want to be:sun:

Seriously, when I watched out of spec on their long haul EV trip in the Porsche they donā€™t seem to be stopping more than an extra 10 minutes than Iā€™d stop in my current ICE every 150-200 miles. If you canā€™t add an extra few minutes to your journey maybe this EV thing isnā€™t for you?
Totally agree. Would like a filter in the forum to drop any reference to 400 or 800v.

LordUlhtred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
As eager to get delivery of these exciting new EV's as most of us are, it is sobering to realize how significant the odds of the company being bankrupt in 7 years is
Totally. I think we are all pulling for Rivian but the likelihood of bankrupcy is high. IMHO, what differentiate Rivian with other EV companies like Nikolai, Lordstown, etc. is that Rivian got Amazon investment and more importantly, 100K order of the EV delivery van. This huge order gives Rivian time until 2030 to get their manufacturing, servicing, etc. together and steady income regardless of how consumer division is working out.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

GMK83

First Name
Guerin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (preorder)
I donā€™t think Illinois allows for vanity EV plates. The stock ticker is a cool idea.

Sponsored

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
Those of you who are concerned about battery charging rate of Rivian vehicles compared to other manufacturers may be interested to know that RJ Scaringe talked about this in an interview over a year ago. He said there are manufacturers who advertise an absurdly high rate, that if actually achieved, would greatly diminish the life of the battery. He further pointed out that there are physical limitations with current batteries that must be taken into account when doing charging while maintaining battery life. In other words, they will continue to research how to push higher charging rates, but they aren't going to sacrifice battery life just to advertise a higher rate.

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
I do love the Bourbon fueled analysts on this forum! We had this thing dissected the minute it hit the presses. While happy that we might get a chance to get in on the ground floor of the IPO as pre-order holders, I'm not keen on subscription models. $10,000 buys a whole lot of Lyft rides - that's as hands-off as it gets.

Also unhappy that R1S is definitely much later in the game than the R1T (I guess now it's only 3-4 months minimum). I wish they had told me this before cause I would have definitely switched to the R1T. A rear mounted camp kitchen though? I am not seeing how that works if one plans to sleep in the back of the R1S. Guessing it's hitch mounted, which seems eh - and where is the full size spare? The R1S seems to be an afterthought cause it's still the only 7 seat eSUV (ok ok there is the MX, but come on).

My $10,000 is going into the IPO.

Not saying there's any equivalency whatsoever, but if you had put $10,000 down on the Tesla IPO, you'd be sitting at a little over 2 million dollars today.

?

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE
I'm hoping, and suggested to Rivian, that they will bill by the kilowatt for their "Features+" (my word) offering. Don't drive much? Then you won't pay much.
Better yet, they should bill by the feature use.
Drifting in your lane while you text? $1.
Changing lanes without first activating the turn signal? $1
Assisted braking to make up for your inattention? $1

If all OEMs do this, it will be a better world.

ruawahoo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade and CX-5
As eager to get delivery of these exciting new EV's as most of us are, it is sobering to realize how significant the odds of the company being bankrupt in 7 years is
Iā€™m pretty sure the statistic is that most new businesses fail in 7 years. Rivian was founded in 2009. It is well past that mark.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Sponsored

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

Respectfully, you and I have very different ideas of what makes a better world.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

You're joking, but in a world where your insurance company is getting 12 camera feeds, an audio stream, and all vehicle telemetry from your car, that vision is entirely possible!

In theory, some tangible (e.g. financial) incentives to there being better drivers sound nice until your insurance rate starts going up everyday because you need to turn left over a double yellow line to get onto your driveway and the automated tech wasn't built with that situation in mind and you've tried calling the insurance company but you can't reach a human and/or "their hands are tied" and/or "it might be fixed in the next patch" and/or ...

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Totally agree. Would like a filter in the forum to drop any reference to 400 or 800v.
Besides, I think I did the math on Reddit in the Motor Trend AMA and determined that they were able to charge about 80kwh (20-80% on the curve) in about 30 minutes on electrify America in real life on a preproduction unit. That sets the average at about 160 KW. The word is that it should also improve over time.

Key takeaway is that it's not just about peak throughput, but also about the overall curve. This sets it at on par with the current Audi e-tron curve and just a touch under the Hyundai egmp platform where it averages at around 190 kilowatt through the curve.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
I am wonder where the District of Columbia fits.
Think Iā€™ll take delivery in FL
thenā€¦ fingers crossed that is faster.
Iā€™m pretty sure the statistic is that most new businesses fail in 7 years. Rivian was founded in 2009. It is well past that mark.
unfortunately the IRS definition is to make a profit in three out of 5 years, if this were the case it would have failed. But Iā€™m pulling for them.

DarcyL

First Name
Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2020 MINI SE
Occupation
Lawyer
Clubs

Looks like no Canadian deliveries before Feburary:

"We expect to complete all CMVSS confirmatory testing and provide an application for certification to Transport Canada by February 2022."
Good spot. On what page did you see this?
Sponsored