Sponsored

Lobstahz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3, Audi A4
We plan to enhance the overall infotainment experience over time with the integration of new technologies, including gaming, video streaming, digital payment, face recognition, and enterprise productivity features such as messaging and video conferencing.
Wow, if that's what they're looking to add that's such an easy decision. Hard. Pass. None of those items are remotely interesting or appealing.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It isn’t that simple, 800V charging is going to overload or overheat most current battery pack systems or cause undue wear on them. GM is able to offer this on their Halo Hummer EV because of the sheer size of the battery pack 200KWh+ on the EV3X with WTF upgrade or Edition 1. They only offer it on the higher trims with the largest packs as it can distribute enough power across the pack while charging so as not to overload any one cell or module. All this talk about 350KW+ or 800V+ and charging EVs in 15 minutes or less is really just that, talk. Won’t be a common thing until battery tech improves some more.
The voltage and amperage are irrelevant independent of each other. Only when you look at the two combined do you get the complete picture. As an example, you could have an 800V charger providing 50 kW.
The higher voltage allows them to charge faster thru the same size cable and other components.
225 kW is the absolute maximum that CCS can provide to a 450V design like the Rivian. Their EPA docs say 210 kW, so they are running at lower than the 500A ceiling. Making the switch to 900V drops the amperage down to <350 to achieve 300+ kW, where they are at 450A+ with the 450V architecture.

The Hyundai/Kia 800V system is operational on a 77 kWh battery. Lucid is doing 920V on 112 kWh pack. Porsche/Audi from 80 kWh.

Bar_Down

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

Details on the states they can sell in / are barred from on 139:

Cleared for sales:
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • New Hampshire
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • Tennessee
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Wyoming
Restricted states. Rivian cannot get a dealer license directly here:
  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Connecticut
  • Georgia
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Louisiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Maine
  • Michigan
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Texas
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
These states will not let Rivian open a service station directly:
  • Alabama
  • Louisiana
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • West Virginia
In these problem states, it does not appear that you'll be able to meet with anyone with Rivian directly, including for a test drive.
I am wonder where the District of Columbia fits.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Pg 115: “In the future, we intend to offer more drive system options, such as dual- or tri-motor all-wheel drive as well as higher performance quad-motor configurations.” Oh boy, if the R1S and R1T aren’t considered higher performance, I can’t wait to see what they have in store. Probably more to do with the R1X forthcoming

Sponsored

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Wow, if that's what they're looking to add that's such an easy decision. Hard. Pass. None of those items are remotely interesting or appealing.
The way these types of filings usually go is that they list everything and anything under the sun that they could possibly do, irrespective of how viable it may be either from a business or technical perspective.

Not sure I can see the enterprise productivity stuff working...but maybe all of this remote COVID work has created an opportunity...

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
You might be amazed how awesome Netflix is while sitting at a charger for 40+ mins...

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
I do love the Bourbon fueled analysts on this forum! We had this thing dissected the minute it hit the presses. While happy that we might get a chance to get in on the ground floor of the IPO as pre-order holders, I'm not keen on subscription models. $10,000 buys a whole lot of Lyft rides - that's as hands-off as it gets.

Also unhappy that R1S is definitely much later in the game than the R1T (I guess now it's only 3-4 months minimum). I wish they had told me this before cause I would have definitely switched to the R1T. A rear mounted camp kitchen though? I am not seeing how that works if one plans to sleep in the back of the R1S. Guessing it's hitch mounted, which seems eh - and where is the full size spare? The R1S seems to be an afterthought cause it's still the only 7 seat eSUV (ok ok there is the MX, but come on).

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
You might be amazed how awesome Netflix is while sitting at a charger for 40+ mins...
Its wonderful! The only question is do you let the kids control the content on the main screen or do you give them your phone and you get control of the big screen :p

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Also unhappy that R1S is definitely much later in the game than the R1T (I guess now it's only 3-4 months minimum). I wish they had told me this before cause I would have definitely switched to the R1T. A rear mounted camp kitchen though? I am not seeing how that works if one plans to sleep in the back of the R1S. Guessing it's hitch mounted, which seems eh - and where is the full size spare? The R1S seems to be an afterthought cause it's still the only 7 seat eSUV (ok ok there is the MX, but come on).
I too am very bummed about the lack of a full size spare. Sees necessary for an adventure vehicle brand.
Maybe one option for the camp kitchen in the R1S is frunk mounted. An insert that fits in with the sink and stove top.

Sponsored

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I do love the Bourbon fueled analysts on this forum! We had this thing dissected the minute it hit the presses. While happy that we might get a chance to get in on the ground floor of the IPO as pre-order holders, I'm not keen on subscription models. $10,000 buys a whole lot of Lyft rides - that's as hands-off as it gets.
I got my excel booted up and started to do a DCF to see if the 80Billion valuation made any sense based upon their claimed market size...

I've been torn on their strategy for a bit. The R1T is really on brand so makes a lot of sense from that perspective to lead with it, but given American's infatuation with SUVs I would have thought they'd see more sales with the R1S and that would be a higher priority.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Can I pay *not* to have video conferencing enabled?

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
I do love the Bourbon fueled analysts on this forum!
LOL best first sentence to a post on this forum in a while.

Sidenote: I am confused by all the talk of swapping out the vehicle when the next one arrives. This truck will be in our garage for 15 years minimum. The every three year new vehicle thing genuinely confuses me.

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
I got my excel booted up and started to do a DCF to see if the 80Billion valuation made any sense based upon their claimed market size...

I've been torn on their strategy for a bit. The R1T is really on brand so makes a lot of sense from that perspective to lead with it, but given American's infatuation with SUVs I would have thought they'd see more sales with the R1S and that would be a higher priority.
Well, I got the SUV, and I would have thought so too. I also have a lot of CO off-roading family and they all said go with the SUV, it's better for everything.

It's all about the gear tunnel. Seriously. Look at the pics of the Normal plant. All the benches are shaped like the gear tunnel. It's the $80B differentiator.
Sponsored