First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Doubt it. They way it's worded I think all R1 vehicles are hardware limited to 400v. U less RAN is also only 400v and pushes out more current (like tesla). Which would be very weird.

Tbh, this sort of pisses me off and causes me to lose some trust in rivian. The website language is clearly misleading, they mislead MT apparently,
And they knew people have been wondering about it. Intentionally not clarifying it to the general public is a pretty shifty move. How many people will continue to read the website and think thst 300kw applies to R1 vehicles?
This is... definitely... a suck salad with crispy bits of shit sprinkled on top. It means with my 180KWh battery pack, my ass will be charging a good bit longer to get to 80% on the fast chargers.

I did note on the Colorado trip videos, they were referring to "Miles gained" and no longer referencing "% Battery in x mins" which I thought was odd at the time.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Still don't understand the Driver + for $10,000 and subscription for $5k. There is no way it can be close to $500 a month!
$10,000 lump sum for driver+ additional featuers. $5k over lifetime of vehicle for other subscription services. Assuming an 8 year life of vehicle, that's about $50/month.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

F-25 - Rivian terminated a contract with a major supplier in 2019 and demanded repayment of $18M. They believed that it would settle for less, but in December 2020 made a call that they would never get that money back.

I wonder who this was...
Probably whoever was going to supply the adjustable tint roof glass!

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Looks like no Canadian deliveries before Feburary:

"We expect to complete all CMVSS confirmatory testing and provide an application for certification to Transport Canada by February 2022."

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
This is... definitely... a suck salad with crispy bits of shit sprinkled on top. It means with my 180KWh battery pack, my ass will be charging a good bit longer to get to 80% on the fast chargers.

I did note on the Colorado trip videos, they were referring to "Miles gained" and not longer referencing "% Battery in x mins" which I thought was odd at the time.
Yep. I'd assume they'll sit the 180 max pack at 220kW for a longer period of time, but that's a lot of current that will require some good heat systems to dissipate. I'm curious to see how much random thermal throttling we start seeing with these in different environments and uses.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
One neat thing is they'll dispose of the battery for people for free if asked. I'm sure they'll recycle it and make money off of it, but it's good they are thinking of that and don't plan to charge anyone for it.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
$10,000 lump sum for driver+ additional featuers. $5k over lifetime of vehicle for other subscription services. Assuming an 8 year life of vehicle, that's about $50/month.
Or:
$105 per month for Driver+ "Premium"
$50ish per month for "Netflix,/Disney+ in car bundle with AAA for BFE assistance"

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Page 100 - R1S Deliveries starting in December 2021.
The language actually says:
"In the consumer market, we launched the R1 platform with our first generation of consumer vehicle, the R1T, a two-row five-passenger pickup truck, and plan to launch the R1S, a three-row seven-passenger SUV, in December 2021. "

That sounds like they're making room for a cop-out. What is a launch exactly? A press event? First R1S off the production line? It can mean many things before it means customer-headed delivery, unfortunately.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I thought delivery was $1,075. Now it's $1700?
Costs more to smuggle these big bastards into them states that don't allow them to sell them in state!

...like Moonshining back in the day!

Sponsored

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
While we have analyzed the principal laws in the United States, EU, China, Japan, United Kingdom, and Australia
I can see China as a market for the R1S, but they'll have to offer a CUV type form factor to do anything in Japan on the consumer side. There isn't much demand for big form factor vehicles in Japan.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Cool visual from page 112 on the Rivian Ecosystem:
Rivian R1T R1S ? Rivian IPO S1 Filing - reveals preorder numbers, R1S delivery date, Autonomous Subscription Fee & more... 1633129824321

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Yep. I'd assume they'll sit the 180 max pack at 220kW for a longer period of time, but that's a lot of current that will require some good heat systems to dissipate. I'm curious to see how much random thermal throttling we start seeing with these in different environments and uses.
The language doesn't address that they could update the capability OTA after initial release. I'm still hopeful. Future vehicles are planned to ship with the capability from the factory.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
One neat thing is they'll dispose of the battery for people for free if asked. I'm sure they'll recycle it and make money off of it, but it's good they are thinking of that and don't plan to charge anyone for it.
This makes a TON of business sense though. Take your $10k-$20k battery off your hands for free, and then use it/sell it to power providers as part of a capacitor network (like Tesla is doing).

Or, hell, recycle it for the valuable materials in partnership with Redwood.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner

I thought Driver+ was included with the vehicle. We have to pay for that also? $10K?
Sponsored