Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

That's.... like an early Christmas present (and completely unexpected). I'm not gunna lie.
Seriously. Imagine having the opportunity to put $1k or something on Tesla at IPO*

*TESLA DISCLAIMER: THIS IS IN NO WAY SUGGESTING THAT RIVIAN WILL HAVE A SIMILAR MARKET CAP TO TSLA IN 10 YEARS
Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Details of their agreement with Ford on 174.

They were purchasing Bodies in White from them early on. They expect to be able to do that in house now, so this is no longer a thing.

They still purchase (and will continue to purchase) tooling and engineering expertise apparently.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Details on the states they can sell in / are barred from on 139:

Cleared for sales:
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • New Hampshire
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • Tennessee
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Wyoming
Restricted states. Rivian cannot get a dealer license directly here:
  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Connecticut
  • Georgia
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Louisiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Maine
  • Michigan
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Texas
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
These states will not let Rivian open a service station directly:
  • Alabama
  • Louisiana
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • West Virginia
In these problem states, it does not appear that you'll be able to meet with anyone with Rivian directly, including for a test drive.
That doesn’t seem right, Tesla has sales here in Cincinnati and Columbus. Must be something new they have thrown in.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I'm thinking this will end up being a subscription for Autonomous Driving. Clearly they are expecting a fee for that - either one time or monthly. :(
I'd wager that we will all get a "basic" version on Driver+, you can subscribe for "Enhanced Mode"... it sounds like the Tesla model. You all get AutoPilot (AP), but if you want FSD... you need to cough up the cash. And it looks like they are going the Tesla model there as well with a subscription service (as opposed to having someone try and choke down $5k-$10k at once, they will probably charge $100-$200 per month for access to "Driver+ Premium".

That's probably a separate subscription from the "Membership" program (like UConnect+ SiriusXM Guardian in Stellantis products) that gets you additional goodies on your media control unit and some other odds and ends (like AAA in BFE and such).

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That doesn’t seem right, Tesla has sales here in Cincinnati and Columbus. Must be something new they have thrown in.
Probably similar to the law that the dealers lobbied for in Washington State. It essentially grandfathered in Tesla because they were operating prior to the effective date that prohibited manufacturers from having a direct sales operation.

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
That is insanely optimistic. If they can produce 150k vehicles in 2022, that would mean every pre-order would be delivered before the end of summer.
That isn't exactly what it said.
"The factory building covers approximately 3.3 million square feet and is currently equipped to produce up to 150,000 vehicles annually.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe waiting for max pack vehicles for the 300kwh?
Doubt it. They way it's worded I think all R1 vehicles are hardware limited to 400v. U less RAN is also only 400v and pushes out more current (like tesla). Which would be very weird.

Tbh, this sort of pisses me off and causes me to lose some trust in rivian. The website language is clearly misleading, they mislead MT apparently,
And they knew people have been wondering about it. Intentionally not clarifying it to the general public is a pretty shifty move. How many people will continue to read the website and think thst 300kw applies to R1 vehicles?

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Cox Details on 174 as well:

It looks like Cox will be the reseller of any used Rivians, and likely trade ins. They will get preferential pricing on service on them and whatnot in exchange for marketing.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Some states made "Tesla only" agreements. All others like Fisker, Lucid, Rivian, etc... were left out (probably because they didn't really exist at the time).

I really hope these stupid ass laws change.

Dealerships (legacy) offer me nothing but hassle and annoyance in my experience.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

Tesla has lobbied for special carve out exceptions just for them in numerous states. In those states the dealer requirements exist for everyone but Tesla. Not sure if Ohio is one.

Sponsored

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Still don't understand the Driver + for $10,000 and subscription for $5k. There is no way it can be close to $500 a month!

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
F-25 - Rivian terminated a contract with a major supplier in 2019 and demanded repayment of $18M. They believed that it would settle for less, but in December 2020 made a call that they would never get that money back.

I wonder who this was...

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Some states made "Tesla only" agreements. All others like Fisker, Lucid, Rivian, etc... were left out (probably because they didn't really exist at the time).

I really hope these stupid ass laws change.

Dealerships (legacy) offer me nothing but hassle and annoyance in my experience.
Completely agree, I worked for Honda for almost 8 years, nothing but trouble.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Still don't understand the Driver + for $10,000 and subscription for $5k. There is no way it can be close to $500 a month!
That's over 6 years. My guess is $100/mo.

This is wrong see below post.

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
This forum is amazing!! I don't have google R
This is page 111:
Software Enabled Services. We assume the LTR opportunity from software to be $15,500. This is comprised of autonomous driving capabilities of $10,000, and a monthly subscription plan for infotainment, connectivity, diagnostics, and other services valued at $5,500, based on publicly disclosed industry benchmark.

My guess its $100/month for 5+ years and seems very expensive.
Sponsored